Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive read quite i bit of the threads regarding the door panels... and the pillars (is that the space between front and rear doors???). however no one wants to mention how HORRIBLE the glovebox is!

well, some do, but its overwhelmed with the doors being horrible.

now, i have the padded doors. build date was sept 09... so i must have just gotten lucky or something.. not sure.
when i got my car w 8k on it, not a scratch in sight. but now that i have had it a season, the glovebox looks like it got attacked w a nazi tube of toothpaste.. and lost. :( im also noticing the plastic between the front and rear doors (is this called a pillar???) are getting whacked by the seatbelt and scuffing in white as well...

i know they remanufactured the doors...
but what about the glovebox? do i even bother trying to start a war w kia usa over it? or just makeshift a solution w that spray on paint stuff someone mentioned?
and the seatbelts whacking the other plastic in the car... i see no solution mentioned for that...

help?? :confused::confused::confused:

uber thanks as always ;)

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
the glovebox door moulding was one of the peices that escaped getting made tougher on the later interior..... it is what it is....poor quality and easily marked.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2010 2U. I've just chalked it up to my son's soccer boots. He likes to take them off in the car to grose me out on the way home. Funny, when I am in HIS car, I'm not allowed to go anywhere near the dash, not that I would get into his car. I'm affraid to. His driving skills scare the crap out of me.:eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had the same issue.... I mentioned it to the Dealer when I talked about the door panels. Didn't sound like many individuals complained about it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a horrible scratch on my glovebox so if anyone knows a good way to fill it in so it is not so obvious PLEASE...tell me! In the meantime I have a towel hanging over it to hide and protect the darn thing from getting more scratches!

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Mine is scratched as well but after the door panel fiasco I didn't want to push the issue. I can live with replacing one panel if it gets too bad. But all of them was too much.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Mine is scratched badly again. Mine is the burner black & red interior, a black sharpy marker pen seemed to do an adequate job of hiding the not so deep scratches. The pillars somebody mentioned covering them in mouse pad material (squishy) that matches the rest of your interior. I have not tried the pillar fix but it sounds like it would look alright.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Crayola Crayons....the big box....pick the color that is closest and buff it in after you cover the scratch.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was looking at a 2010 this week and the glove box door looked positively terrible. While discussing it with the salesman he told me that often when the detail guys are struggling with scratches on pebble finish plastic they use a heat gun to essentially melt the plastic a bit to sort of blend everything together.

I suspect that could go very wrong it you don't know what you are doing...but perhaps if the scratches aren't' too deep and you go easy it might be worth a try?

Wonder what an entire new glove box door would cost? If it's like Japanese stuff then the part probably cost them $2.00 to make and a new one retails for $150.00

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
The glovebox gets it extra bad cos wifey has these huge handbags with buckles and charms and stuff on.....she has them on her lap on a journey and then stuffs them in the footwell rubbing the front of the glvebox as they go....just a fact of life.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
The glovebox gets it extra bad cos wifey has these huge handbags with buckles and charms and stuff on.....she has them on her lap on a journey and then stuffs them in the footwell rubbing the front of the glvebox as they go....just a fact of life.
imagine how much worse it would be if she were stowing reels of barbed wire instead of handbags -

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
just a thought - if its bad why not remove the cover and spray it with plastic paint? I've used that on outside plastic window louvres on my house and stands up for years without discolouration and all types of weather thrown at it.
The rubberized covering I have on top of my dash would be good for that area too - maybe next year?

Your right tempest, the one thing my wife really misses that we had on the Rondo - a bag holder that popped out of the centre console on the passengers side. If she has large bags I try to get her to throw them on the back seat first.

·
Registered
608 Posts
just a thought - if its bad why not remove the cover and spray it with plastic paint? I've used that on outside plastic window louvres on my house and stands up for years without discolouration and all types of weather thrown at it.
The rubberized covering I have on top of my dash would be good for that area too - maybe next year?

Your right tempest, the one thing my wife really misses that we had on the Rondo - a bag holder that popped out of the centre console on the passengers side. If she has large bags I try to get her to throw them on the back seat first.
That might be a great idea. The door is low enough that even if you mess it up a bit no one would notice. Wonder if that plastic paint comes in a satin version as well as high gloss?

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
imagine how much worse it would be if she were stowing reels of barbed wire instead of handbags -
Dont be silly!!!....the barbed wire is for the demarcation line down the middle of the bigger half of the bed.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts