Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I guess I'm coming here to vent and ask for solutions on how to deal with this. I spent most of my day in my college class and I come back to see that my window has been scratched and my headlight as well. Needless to say I'm really pissed off about this. I was wondering is there anyway to fix this issue or make it less easy to see. It looks like someone was trying to unlock (slim jim) it just by the way the scratches go up and off to the side and its also right over the internal lock. I always leave the car empty and nothing in sight. Or am I wrong about the slim jim thing?

IMG_0166.jpg IMG_0168.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
You could try to polish them out with some rubbing or polishing compound, but that may take some time. Sorry, I don't have a better suggestion than that. I have polished glass before to get minor scratches "feathered" in and have met with some success. Lots of elbow grease. It almost looks to me like someone keyed your car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if my fingernail stops in the track of the glass it not a minor scratch then right? At this point I'm gonna try the polishing and maybe down the road replace it and who knows how much that will cost me -_-

At this point I hope the security camera nearby caught something as I'm still waiting for a call from the police...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hard to say if slim-jim. Almost looks like initials/insignia on window. I would try some Meguires(or other) scratch remover. I recently bought this for some light scratches I found on my new V Star 950T(bike had been sitting in 'wharehouse' for a year). Worked really well,even on the plastic taillight. A friend suggested mixing in some cleaner wax for more sensitive areas,but full strength the stuff seems safe.

Maybe a glass person knows a better solution. Good luck. Your Soul looks like you keep it new and it stinks when 'tards tear up property of others.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If your fingernail catches in the scratch, it's too deep to fix. I've heard of people trying to use a power buffer in order to reduce the amount of elbow grease required. Please don't be tempted to do this, most who have tried a power buffer have been met with terrible results, the power buffer generates too much heat in a concentrated area, that area tries to expand at a higher rate than the surrounding area then Bang scratch is gone :eek: but so is the glass :mad:

·
Registered
54 Posts
The scratch in the plastic can be removed but I believe the glass is ruined. Dont waste your time....Have it(glass) replaced.

Craig

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
The scratch in the plastic can be removed but I believe the glass is ruined. Dont waste your time....Have it(glass) replaced.

Craig
That may be true, if you live in a glass state, you may already have insurance coverage to replace both pieces. Give that a try first, it is by far the easiest way to go.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well washed the car to see if I missed any and luckily no more were found. I tried claying, polishing, and waxing the headlight but no luck. I could care less about that one anyways as its hard to see unless you view it from an angle. I'm gonna make an appt with Safelite and see what they have to say. It may need to be replaced :( but my neighbor also said that now they can grind down or fill it with glass resin to a point of almost near strength prior to the keying. Wonder how much that will cost?

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Well washed the car to see if I missed any and luckily no more were found. I tried claying, polishing, and waxing the headlight but no luck. I could care less about that one anyways as its hard to see unless you view it from an angle. I'm gonna make an appt with Safelite and see what they have to say. It may need to be replaced :( but my neighbor also said that now they can grind down or fill it with glass resin to a point of almost near strength prior to the keying. Wonder how much that will cost?
My insurance company uses Safelight to come out and repair chips in windshields, they pay for it. The visit to repair one chip is 75. Don't know about your scratches though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So safelite is full of crap... Sorry but they refuse to resin fill it as its tempered glass. Glass is going break anyways in a crash and tempered breaks into small pieces and a few shards won't kill me. So they of course want to replace it for $350!!! :mad:

I know some glass expert will resin fill it. So I guess my options are limited. Do you think Kia well have anything to offer in the way of scratch repair on the glass?

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
So safelite is full of crap... Sorry but they refuse to resin fill it as its tempered glass. Glass is going break anyways in a crash and tempered breaks into small pieces and a few shards won't kill me. So they of course want to replace it for $350!!! :mad:

I know some glass expert will resin fill it. So I guess my options are limited. Do you think Kia well have anything to offer in the way of scratch repair on the glass?
Have you checked with your insurance company yet? 350 is ridiculous, even though when my front door glass was smashed, the total cost through the insurance company only came to 180 bucks at their shop (but the insurance company paid for that, Kentucky is a glass state). Safelight has repaired my windshields a dozen times but not a side glass, so I don't know what they are talking about. Oh, that was Safelight that replaced my side glass also. I think you need to find another monkey on a bicycle to ask about a repair because 350 seems awfully high to me too.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
And before I completely forget, I have replaced door glass myself before. Several times I found a piece in a junk yard and put it in to save money. While a tedious job in that you have to watch what you do with all the wires and connectors in a door, replacing the glass is easy if all the washers and inserts are there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Gonna resurrect this thread for a sec...

I found a one-inch scratch on my windshield. Don't know how it got there because I use clean microfiber cloths to wipe it. Funny thing is: it looks almost mechanical in that it is perfectly straight. My fingernail catches on it somewhat, so I don't think it's very deep.

Since this thread's almost 3 years old, has there been any new methods of dealing with scratches?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts