Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
266 Posts
Read the book Rivethead.
Written by a guy working on the GM truck assembly line. Eye opening what went on at least in the 70s and 80s...
I probably should read it. The updated version with a forward by Michael Moore? Rivethead: Tales from the Assembly Line

I attended 1st year university at UWO in London, Ontario in 1974-75. I recall getting picked up hitchhiking by a number of auto workers. This is what I observed, heard.

1. The guys working for the non-union Japanese auto firms in southern Ontario really liked their jobs.

2. It was sex, drugs and rock 'n roll on the GM assembly lines. It seemed like on some shifts there was more down-time than up-time. Some of the workers would deliberately sabotage X or Y to shut down the entire assembly line.

As a once upon a time union shop steward, union executive and union organizer, none of this surprises me. When it came to safety, some workers were their own worst enemy. Some groups of workers would work harder at shirking (dog f______) than if they had simply done their jobs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds inline with the book...

One part I remember is how they would protest against the speed of the line increasing not for safety or quality issues but because each man would learn the work of the man opposite on the line and then during the 8 hour shift would do the work of both men for 4 hours while the other guy slept or left to go to a bar, and then they’d switch. At that point I had zero sympathy that every car factory I had been to (from mid 90s to late 00’s), granted in the UK, had more robots on the line than people.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Scotty Kilmer is an absolute buffoon and a constant joke among most people who view lots of car related Youtube content. I cannot stand the man. His advice is biased and even occasionally will cross into dangerous territory. Do NOT take anything he says without the biggest grain of salt.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,895 Posts
He reminds me of CNBCs Jim Cramer. His job is to educate & entertain. They are both longtime television personalities and know the importance of showmanship.

As Cramer says "always do your own research" before deciding.

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
237 Posts
Scotty Kilmer is an absolute buffoon and a constant joke among most people who view lots of car related Youtube content. I cannot stand the man. His advice is biased and even occasionally will cross into dangerous territory. Do NOT take anything he says without the biggest grain of salt.
I'd have my car over to him before I'd give it to a dealership any day of the week.

·
Registered
266 Posts
He reminds me of CNBCs Jim Cramer. His job is to educate & entertain. They are both longtime television personalities and know the importance of showmanship.

As Cramer says "always do your own research" before deciding.
Some active investors/traders make a point of shorting Cramer recommendations.

Strikes me as a reasonable strategy. Story: In a world of celebrity narcissism, the 'celebrity' pumps a stock, the hungry members of the public, who like to fawn over men of great stature, rush in, perhaps pushing the stock price up over a day or three and then the stock price sharply corrects as the smart money rushes for the exit.

Full disclosure: I do not personally know any active investors who follow Jim Cramer recommendations and go long on his stock picks. Zero. None.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
617 Posts
I'd have my car over to him before I'd give it to a dealership any day of the week.
The Service Manager at the dealership I have used, does a pretty good Cosmos Kramer impersonation.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The Service Manager at the dealership I have used, does a pretty good Cosmos Kramer impersonation.
LMAO!!!

It's funny......every question I asked our salesman....that any salesman should know his response was "That's above my pay grade"...........He was an older fellow.....did not know jack shi%% about anything. Why would service be any different. ...

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
457 Posts
Kilmer's brazen click-baiting titles and thumnails aside, he keeps making rediculous conclusions that can easily be debunked with an internet connection and 30 seconds of time. My favorite; The new Tesla factory in China was built so Tesla can move all manufacturing there and therefore eliminate American jobs. In actuality it was built to make Teslas for the Chinese market because they have the fastest growing middle class in the world due to their huge population. That's why the big three American auto manufacturers all have their own factories in China–and sell more units there than they do back home. Fear-mongering fits Scottie's overall narrative though, in almost every single video. 😏

·
Registered
266 Posts
...... Fear-mongering fits Scottie's overall narrative though, in almost every single video. 😏
Yup. That is too bad. You would think that Scotty as an Anthropologist, he would know better. Or perhaps he knows his audience really well and simply does what it takes to ramp up the approving eyeballs.

Lots of lies are being spread in the USA about Chinese business practices. A cold war with China will not go well for the USA. None of the lies along with the hyper-active finger-pointing will solve deep structural problems within the US economy.

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
Scotty breaking news:
Honda Element Returns for 2021. To compete with Soul again.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Interesting video GeoSoul. Seems like our Soul is inspirational.

Kilmer is best enjoyed by not taking him too seriously. Otherwise, his videos can produce a lot of eye-rolling moments.

As a very general rule of thumb, is country of manufacturing origin that important for 'quality'? Or is the location of the operational and corporate head offices the key factor? I would go for the latter.

Note that North America car quality was absolutely horrific in the 1970s and much of the 1980s and then it got largely better. Much better. North American auto assembly lines are no longer choice sites for sex, drugs and rock 'n roll hard partying.

In my 4X4 Xterra world, the received conventional wisdom sides with OE or OEM parts in many instances. After market parts have proved unreliable. Where those OE parts are actually manufactured does not seem to be an important factor.

Note that North American made automobiles are full of Mexican-manufactured components.

It is apparently news to Kilmer and his audience, but shareholder-owned manufacturers of civilian goods have ALWAYS been cost conscious. Thankfully so. Note that NAFTA has given US-based auto manufacturers in both Canada and the USA a cost advantage they would not otherwise enjoy.

Note that smart folks used to denigrate the Japanese for cheap, low quality manufactured goods in the 1960s. In later years, all kinds of Japanese manufactured goods are recognized as best in class. The Chinese are currently going through a similar evolution. In some cases, work is being outsourced to other SE Asian countries because Chinese labour costs are no longer competitive. That is a clear, early indication of improving quality on Chinese assembly lines, improving Chinese abilities to package sophisticated systems and improving Chinese abilities to market worldwide.

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
457 Posts
Kilmer is best enjoyed by not taking him too seriously. Otherwise, his videos can produce a lot of eye-rolling moments.
Agreed. I just couldn't tolerate his constant ultimatums—you either do what he tells you or you're "stupid". Nothing in this world is so easily black and white. At his age you'd think he would have learned that by now. 😒

·
Registered
787 Posts
Scotty breaking news:
Honda Element Returns for 2021. To compete with Soul again.
Very cool. The Element was the other funky car I liked. I purchased one for my daughter as a college graduate in present. She loved it and put a ton of carefree miles on it. I'll pass this news on to her. She'll be excited, especially since she and her husband are considering a new car.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
Not one thing in that video that is not spot on
They may be shrinking it down, possibly sub compact Soul size. It would still have a ton of cargo space. Should be interesting to see a modern version of the Element. I still see them all over the place. Most have been kept in near mint condition.

·
Registered
237 Posts
They may be shrinking it down, possibly sub compact Soul size. It would still have a ton of cargo space. Should be interesting to see a modern version of the Element. I still see them all over the place. Most have been kept in near mint condition.
I always liked them, I am not a big Honda fan...after the Oddy we owned...But, I probably would have bought one of those over this Kia had I known they were coming back.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts