Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've learned quite a bit watching Scotty Kilmer videos over the past few years. I definitely listened to his opinions when deciding what car to buy last summer. He almost convinced me to buy a Toyota, which I absolutely believe are the most reliable cars on the planet, but I eventually decided that in my low mileage situation it made more sense to save a bunch of money and buy the Soul.
There's also a guy on Youtube named Chris Fix who has lots of useful car videos. Highly recommended by me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
And he knows a lot more than that 19 y/o Kia "Mechanic" changing your Oil at the dealership......Hoping he remembers to put the oil in, put the Oil cap back on, don't strip out the Drain plug, don't over tighten the oil filter...and a big one....putting TOO MUCH Oil in the car.
Say Whaaaat? :oops::oops::oops:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've learned quite a bit watching Scotty Kilmer videos over the past few years. I definitely listened to his opinions when deciding what car to buy last summer. He almost convinced me to buy a Toyota, which I absolutely believe are the most reliable cars on the planet, but I eventually decided that in my low mileage situation it made more sense to save a bunch of money and buy the Soul.
There's also a guy on Youtube named Chris Fix who has lots of useful car videos. Highly recommended by me.
Chris Fix is also a good resource...

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
270 Posts
I did not know that..WOW. Lot easier to dig up and find old cars than it is Dinosaurs .
You are thinking of what archaeologists do.

Anthropologists study pre-state societies and do micro-sociological studies in modern developed nation state societies.

I have a lot of time for anthropologists, especially gift exchange theory. I am not at all surprised that Kilmer has an MA in anthropology. He is clearly smart and understands people well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You are thinking of what archaeologists do.

Anthropologists study pre-state societies and do micro-sociological studies in modern developed nation state societies.

I have a lot of time for anthropologists, especially gift exchange theory. I am not at all surprised that Kilmer has an MA in anthropology. He is clearly smart and understands people well.
I can't believe I did that.....lol....I am getting like our candidates…..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry Scotty, but Supertech oil is not as good as Redline. I don't care what your basic backyard garage tests say.
Don't confuse me with facts, I've made up my mind.:cool:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have way more hands on and Engineering experience than Scotty, but I really don't like blowing my own horn enough to do a U-Tube video. It's just not my thing.
I take care of my own car, help my neighbors, and try to help out here when I can, but that's it. I don't watch Self Proclaimed Experts toot their horns on the WWW. The few that I have seen, are usually full of **it.

I have the same problem on the several Computer Forums that I work. Too many Self Proclaimed Experts, that just try to aggrandize themselves, sometimes at the expense of others.

Willy, don't badmouth the 19 yr old mechanic at the KIA Dealership (I've never seen one) because he undoubtedly knows more about a Kia than you do. Eh?

At 19 I was running an Army motor pool, and was in charge of the care and maintenance of over 150 military vehicles and a dozen civilian type vehicles. I was also the CO's driver and the Driver's Training Instructor for our Ambulance company, (582nd Med Co Amb) and the 5th General Hospital. So don't discount a man's capabilities just because he's 19. You loose!

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
270 Posts
Archaeology is a sub-discipline under Anthropology!!
True, at least in North America. But FWIW I have never heard an archaeologist refer to him or herself as an anthropologist.

From the wiki-page: Archaeology can be considered both a social science and a branch of the humanities.[2][3] In Europe it is often viewed as either a discipline in its own right or a sub-field of other disciplines, while in North America archaeology is a sub-field of anthropology.[4]

·
Registered
922 Posts
Wow. Just...wow. There is so much wrong with some threads, refuting many comments is futile and simply counter-productive.

When will then be now? Soon.

Greg

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I have way more hands on and Engineering experience than Scotty, but I really don't like blowing my own horn enough to do a U-Tube video. It's just not my thing.
I take care of my own car, help my neighbors, and try to help out here when I can, but that's it. I don't watch Self Proclaimed Experts toot their horns on the WWW. The few that I have seen, are usually full of **it.

I have the same problem on the several Computer Forums that I work. Too many Self Proclaimed Experts, that just try to aggrandize themselves, sometimes at the expense of others.

Willy, don't badmouth the 19 yr old mechanic at the KIA Dealership (I've never seen one) because he undoubtedly knows more about a Kia than you do. Eh?

At 19 I was running an Army motor pool, and was in charge of the care and maintenance of over 150 military vehicles and a dozen civilian type vehicles. I was also the CO's driver and the Driver's Training Instructor for our Ambulance company, (582nd Med Co Amb) and the 5th General Hospital. So don't discount a man's capabilities just because he's 19. You loose!

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
FLH :cool:
If this post isn't tooting your own horn I don't what is.

Pat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It’s funny so many people say bad things about Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep. There is a video on TFL YouTube channel where they interview a guy who rents a huge fleet of cars out on Turo and his Jeeps have been trouble free which reminds me of the 99 TJ 4.0 I ran until 2013 which had nothing go wrong with it and I daily drove it and off roaded it. Unlike my friends same vintage Land Cruiser that needed a new engine and whose features like electric windows and rear AC all broke. And the other car in our household right now in addition to our Soul is a Land Rover Discovery which has also had nothing go wrong with it.

So while statistics are important it doesn’t mean you’re guaranteed to get a lemon from a certain brand or a guaranteed rock of reliability from another.

Hats off to Scotty for making a success of himself, just be aware he paints with a broad brush and take the absolutes presented with a grain of salt. Don’t worship false gods...

·
Registered
242 Posts
You can get a good car or you can get a bad car......brand does not matter. You are far more likely to get a bad car with certain brands......I prefer not to roll the dice with my money and play the odds. However, it did bite me in the A$$ with a new Honda Oddy EXL-RES...which was by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Years ago, we used to joke about "Friday" cars. Any car made on Friday was just thrown together, so the workers could get out of there and get to the nearest bar, that cashed pay checks.
Any time I bought a new car, I've always hoped that it was not made on a Friday. But who really knows?

:cool:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Years ago, we used to joke about "Friday" cars. Any car made on Friday was just thrown together, so the workers could get out of there and get to the nearest bar, that cashed pay checks.
Any time I bought a new car, I've always hoped that it was not made on a Friday. But who really knows?

:cool:
I worked with a guy that was on the assembly line at Lordstown, while this happened every day....Fridays were particularly bad day for quality work....Drinking on the Job and at lunch was commonplace. Friday's the party went all day long....

So your joke, really is not a joke...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Read the book Rivethead.
Written by a guy working on the GM truck assembly line. Eye opening what went on at least in the 70s and 80s...

21 - 40 of 57 Posts