Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched a YouTube video from Scotty last night.
He said he has hit the One Billion views milestone on his videos. He said he makes slightly less than a penny per view.
I did the math... He has made about 10 Million dollars over the years!
The man is a friggin genius!

That is all.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
621 Posts
Reactions: grege and GeoSoul

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
270 Posts
OK, I'll bite.... who the heck is Scotty Kilmer?
Me thinks your life has been incomplete up until now. :cool:

Scotty is a phenomena. He understands that information is valuable but oh so more easy to digest if accompanied by an entertaining show. A+ for marketing know-how.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry Scotty, but Supertech oil is not as good as Redline. I don't care what your basic backyard garage tests say.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Over rated backyard mechanic who presents his opinions as fact.
But I think it’s his hyper presentation style that annoys me more, lol!

Not to say everything he says is wrong, far from it, but I wouldn’t take it as gospel either.

A case in point:
There’s no way he gets a penny a view, even the top YouTubers don’t even get close to that. A lot of large youtubers I know average around $1.40 per thousand views (it varies by time of year, topic etc) which is a tenth of what he claims. So he may have pulled in $1 million over 10 years but given that ad rates used to be much lower and not everything monetizes well he may not have. Just another example of his outlandish claims where truth takes a back seat...

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
270 Posts
@LoneStarSoul: I am not surprised at your reaction but please note that Scotty Kilmer is not making big claims about making a personal fortune as a YouTube star; others are making that estimate/guess/presumption/claim for him.

For fun, imagine Scotty doing his thing on NPR/PBS, the CBC or the BBC.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
621 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,902 Posts
Scotty Kilmer is an American YouTube personality, author, and auto mechanic from Houston, Texas whose channel has over 3 million subscribers and over 1 billion views as of April 2020.

Kilmer was born to parents Shirley Kilmer (born June 21, 1927) and John Kilmer (born March 31, 1926-December 16, 2013) and grew up in Niagara Falls, New York, and attended York University in Toronto, Canada. He also attended the University of Illinois, where he received a master's degree in anthropology.

Kilmer married Leslie Erica Thornberg Kilmer (born March 10, 1956) in 1979, a former fifth grade elementary school teacher. They have two sons, Riley Kilmer (born November 1, 1984) and Wyeth Kilmer (born September 20, 1987). His grandfather had been an automotive mechanic himself at a family run Texaco gas station and Kilmer grew up learning how to fix cars at the age of 14 years old in 1967 during weekends by visual learning from him. After moving to Houston when he was 23 years old and two decades of working as a professional mechanic, Kilmer published Everyone’s Guide to Buying a Used Car in 1994.

That same year, he began a TV segment on the local CBS affiliate in Houston titled "Crank it Up with Scotty" wherein he showed his audience how to diagnose and fix mechanical problems and offered opinions on vehicle engineering facts, along with genuine solutions to low-profile automotive issues. In 2004, the show received an Emmy Award for best interactive program. The show was canceled that year after a decade on the air.

Kilmer's YouTube channel is similar to the content from the television program. He grew a large following very quickly after launching the channel, bringing over many of the viewers from the television show. As of February 2020, Kilmer had over three million subscribers and 922 million views. His YouTube channel has enough audience to be the source of his living in part because of his YouTube partnership via ads from Google AdSense.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And the guys doesn't need engineering degrees... he's a lifelong mechanic. A good, smart lifelong mechanic - priceless! He's not designing cars or engines - he's fixing them. He's entertaining too. And the fact that he has uploaded 2 videos a day for a long time. 3.2 million subscribers and adding 2 videos a day... that equals cha-ching!

I take all his advice with a grain of salt. Lots of click-bait too... I disagreed with him on Kia's and Hyundai's for a while, but he changed his tune on the newer models and actually recommends them, as they have a long warranty.

He is brutal with his options on cars. He warns against Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep for good reason... He loves on some Honda and Toyota though, because they are excellent cars. He does call out both when he sees problems like Honda's engines getting fuel in the oil issue.

He's entertaining.

Now if you want good engineering videos here are two of my faves:
Engineering Explained - Fuel Additives & Injector Cleaner - Explained
and
Nitinol: The Shape Memory Effect and Superelasticity - Engineer Guy

Reactions: wild willy

·
Registered
242 Posts
And he knows a lot more than that 19 y/o Kia "Mechanic" changing your Oil at the dealership......Hoping he remembers to put the oil in, put the Oil cap back on, don't strip out the Drain plug, don't over tighten the oil filter...and a big one....putting TOO MUCH Oil in the car.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts