Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed a Scangauge II device in the attempt to be able to track real time fuel usage and average fuel economy. This thing is great. Displays so many interesting pieces of data and is certainly an eye-opener... at least for me. I had no idea when taking of at the light the car uses SO MUCH gas... and it doubles uphill. No wonder my city average sucks so bad...:eek:

One thing I noticed is that according to it, my speedometer is non-linear with quite a bit of error. At 50km/h both the speedo and Scangauge are showing the same value, but that's where it ends. The discrepancy increase starts there and by the time the speedo is showing 90, the real speed is 81km/h. If you want to be going 90/km/h, the speedometer has to be at over 100. That's 10% difference - sounds like a lot to me...

I have to questions:
1. is anybody else using Scangauge and did they notice the same discrepancy?
2. Did anyone try comparing their Soul's speed with a GPS or radar reading?
My GPS software doesn't show real-time speed when traveling, just distances.

·
Banned
288 Posts
I know on my dad's Toyota Tacoma, the speedometer displays he's going 60 mph, when on the GPS it shows him going 55 mph or something. And it happens at all speeds too, not just at the higher ones. And his is the only Tacoma I've seen with that problem, so it could be a defect or something on specific cars.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is not a good thing, that means you are not getting as many miles out of your warranty as you should.
So does this also mean that I'm actually traveling a 10% shorter distance than what Soul's gauges are showing? And if so, wouldn't it also mean that my fuel economy is in reality underestimated by 10% as well? Or is the digital mileage counter correct and just the analogue speedometer needle is out of whack?

I hope Scangauge is going to answer all theses questions, as it seems to be showing absolute values based on the ECU readings, which I hope are correct.
Kris

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also considering installing a scangauge. Where did you mount yours? I don't want to do the mirror thing and there doesn't seem to be enough flat space around the dash. If feasible (and this may sound stupid), I'm considering a mount inside the upper center console cubby(right below the center speaker) if I can get a hole drilled in the back of it to run the cord. This is of course assuming that a hole CAN be drilled without damaging anything back of it. Then, when necessary, the lid can be lifted to view and closed when parked to deter theft.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Also considering installing a scangauge. Where did you mount yours? I don't want to do the mirror thing and there doesn't seem to be enough flat space around the dash. If feasible (and this may sound stupid), I'm considering a mount inside the upper center console cubby(right below the center speaker) if I can get a hole drilled in the back of it to run the cord. This is of course assuming that a hole CAN be drilled without damaging anything back of it. Then, when necessary, the lid can be lifted to view and closed when parked to deter theft.
I actually mounted mine above the mirror.
I looked at other locations, but this one seemed least intrusive - no holes need to be drilled!
I have a "wide angle"mirror over top of the stock one that has two flat surface "tabs" over it's upper edge and this was a perfect spot to double-sided-tape the scangauge to.
The supplied cord is too short, so you'd need a CAT5 coupler and a 3ft of CAT5 RJ45 ethernet cable for an extension.
Left pillar plastic cover comes off easily, (careful with the airbag) and there is plenty of space to hide the coupler under that A-Pillar panel and route the cable down the dash and under to the OBDII port. It's a bit tricky to route the last part of the cable under headliner's edge, but it's doable (I used a plastic spoon to gently pry and"unfold" the edge so there is just enough gap to stuff the cable behind it.
The Scangauge is well hidden from any passerby's and looks stock in there.
I was thinking about the tray, but this is where I store my GPS when not in use...
Kris

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Cool....Exactly where I installed my Scanguage back in March. Works best there.....just make SURE you pretty much go STRAIGHT down the A-pillar and over to the OBDII port. The stock wire just BARELY went that far.

ScanguageII is soon to be replaced by the Kiwi. I want to put ScanguageII back in my 2001 Sportage, and Kiwi is so much better looking with the OLED screen.

The one who wants to put ScanguageII in the "sunglass pocket"......Should be super easy. That pocket comes out with the center trim, just have to unplug the hazard lights switch once you get the trim loose. DON'T drive around with the hazard lights button unplugged....Your turn signals won't work. I didn't see anything to keep you from drilling a hole in there, but I'd remove the pocket and NOT try to drill a hole "blindly" while the pocket is in place. If you don't care to have the pocket AT ALL, you can easily take the pocket off the trim altogether with a couple small phillips screws, just make sure you leave the hazard light switch together AND plugged in when you put everything back.

If it was me and I was going to just drill a hole, I'd do it in the TOP of the pocket so you don't accidently drop some real small object into the dash later (paperclip,fuses,etc)....because the hole does have to be big enough for that big square RJ45 plug to get in there.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
AiboPet - does your Soul display different speed than your Scangauge? (see the initial post in this thread)
Kiwi is nice indeed, but too pricey for me...
Kris

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Scangauge II installed in my Soul 2u (16'' rims). It's pretty accurate as far as the speed rating goes. When going at 115 km/h (on the speedometer), the SGII says 113 km/h, and my GPS says 114 km/h. All pretty close...

At at lower speeds (i.e. 50 km/h), all 3 are pretty much in sync.

I've found that my Soul doesn't seem all that much good on gas on the highway. Over a long trip (several hundreds of kilometers), I set cruise control at 112-114 km/h, and my average was 8.2 L/100km. Interestingly, it's not much worse in the city. Driving conservatively, in a 80/20 mix of city/hwy, I did 9.3 L/100km on a tank. Maybe the boxy shape doesn't do too good on at highway speeds... my Pontiac Pursuit with the 2.4L engine used to do 6.6 - 6.8 on the highway at 115 km/h.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Maybe they didnt adjust the speedometer to reflect the 18" wheels instead of the 16"'s?

·
Registered
261 Posts
if the speedo is calibrated to read 16's rather than 18's and you have the 18's the speedo would read slower that the actual speed. The tires are a lower profile on the 18's than the 16's so I dont think the height is about the same anyway.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
ScanguageII and the speedo seem to show dead-on. At least they do match at 30mph,60mph and 80mph. I thought ALL this came from the ECU these days anyway.

·
Registered
845 Posts
the speedometer may be off by a percentage but your actual mileage will be correct because the ecu reads the sensor signal raw data then converts to mileage this is very common on motorcycles theres a product called speedohealer we use on our bikes when changing to different gearing kia should be able to reflash the ecu and calibrate the speedo im no expert but i would ask a service manager about it

·
Registered
278 Posts
The Scangauge is great, I don't have my soul yet but on my chevy colorado , by using the scangauge and doing some hypermiling I can get 35mpg average on 60mile round trip, thats on a truck rated for 24mpg highway.. I cant wait to see what I can pull out of the Soul.

The other nice thing is if you do over or undersize your tires, you can just adjust the scan gauge for the difference and get accurate readings for speed and MPGs ect..

I love my scangauge

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have to questions:
1. is anybody else using Scangauge and did they notice the same discrepancy?
2. Did anyone try comparing their Soul's speed with a GPS or radar reading?
My GPS software doesn't show real-time speed when traveling, just distances.
I'm not using a SGII, but I have another device I can track the same information. My speedo is at best 1% off at any given time, so needless to say, I'm experiencing none of the same differential. By the way, I remember y you're using 18s, but in case anyone is on 16" rims, this is somewhat normal, as the speedo was dialed in for the 18s from what I've read.

As for the GPS, I have a Sony unit that's dead accurate, and shows the same reading as my other unit (which is basically a hacked computer). So still no differences here!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, it looks like I have to ask the dealer what's up with that... I don't really mind that much (I'd be concerned if the speedo was "slow") but just in case it's something easy may as well get it looked at.
Kris

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm not using a SGII, but I have another device I can track the same information. My speedo is at best 1% off at any given time, so needless to say, I'm experiencing none of the same differential. By the way, I remember y you're using 18s, but in case anyone is on 16" rims, this is somewhat normal, as the speedo was dialed in for the 18s from what I've read.

As for the GPS, I have a Sony unit that's dead accurate, and shows the same reading as my other unit (which is basically a hacked computer). So still no differences here!
The rim size means nothing , its the over all tire size , are the 18" tires different sized than the 16" they should not be.. just like when you upsize your rim you use a lower profile tire to get the over all tire height the same as the original tire height.. for instance the base model has 195-65-15's on in upsize to 18" and the size is 225-40-18.. the height is the same as the 15" tire its just a shorter sidewall height.

However as tires wear they get shorter.. that could be the diffrence your seeing but it should not be huge.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Keep us posted vinyl, I'm thinking about getting an SG, and your results may just be the spark under my ass.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts