Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just recently replaced the engine on a 2013 soul, 2.0 at. Over all was a fairly easy swap. Old engine had 185000, timing tensioner broke, and the chain was flopping around. decided to go with a 35000 mile engine vs repairing. As chain, tensioner, guides, water pump plus all seals and gaskets would've cost close to $500 is parts.

The low mileage engine was $950. I opted to drop both the engine and trans out the bottom. I don't have a lift, but with a good jack and at least 6 ton jack stands, you can get the front end up high enough. I dropped the engine with my engine puller, then using two 2x4s laying across the pullers legs was able to drop the engine/trans on the 2x4s then pulling the puller and engine out as one unit.

Once out, I lifted assembly back up, rested the transmission on my work bench, which allowed me to seperate and reassemble them. Also while on bench, allows to inspect real good.

To remove/install I had to remove battery/tray. Ecu, and air filter box. Alternator, and the bracket it slides on(it allows engine to slide out easier). Ac compressor had to be removed(I tried to not do this, but there's just no room to stash it). The exhaust had to come off(including manifold). Axles had to come out, I removed axle nut, and removed the abs sensors(they're plastic, so be careful, but they will come out). Then took off tie rod end and the two bolts that attach the strut to knuckle. Didn't have to worry about lower ball joint. The knuckle moves enough at this point to remove axles. Which easily pop out. Now, all wires and hoses can be removed. Theres three engine mounts, one on each side and one underneath.

The engine will drop out now, I like to use a seat belt strap tied to the engine hoist mounts. And two ratchet straps, to keep engine level.

Doing it again, I may try and pull it out the top. Looks like there could be enough room. I like to go out the bottom... anyway, good luck!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Pat.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Welcome, and thanks for the information. Never really thought about whether the Soul would come out from bottom or top better. I know a 72 Fiat 128 comes out the bottom, and a 77 VW scirocco does too. Everything else I ever did was out the top. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, kia appears to have put some thought in it. There's exactly enough room for it to slip out the bottom, without having to remove front subframe. I couldn't find any forums or youtubes about engine swap. Figured it might help somebody someday. Always nice when you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

If I ever have to do it again, I'll try to pull out top. Just to see if it'd work.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
on the production line all the engine/transaxle and front suspension all goes in the vehicle from below, usually as one complete assembly.

the Gwangju plant in South Korea where they make the Soul and Sportage along with other vehicles we don't get (trucks, buses, military vehicles)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts