Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there, my fellow Soulsters!

So I have a 2013 Kia Soul Base 1.6 and I am thinking about driving 230 miles (3 hours, 30 minutes) up the state of Florida to Jacksonville via I-95 on Friday.
I am one of those people that are really freaked out at the thought of their car breaking down or something happening along the way.

Is there anything I should check before I make my road trip? I have 9,800 miles on the car and the last time I got the oil checked was at 8,200 miles. No warning lights come up in the instrument panel when you start the vehicle and the tires are in great condition as well.

Any advice here to save me a huge headache and a ton of $$$, my little SoulMechanics?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Drive it like you stole it, and enjoy the trip. If you have enough air in the tires, and oil in the engine and coolant in the radiator and money for gas, Why worry? I drove mine on a 1200 mile trip last year at 80-85 mph (640 miles each way, 8 hours straight only stopping for gas and food)and loved every minute of it! You should have no worries! Your ride is still practically new, yet has enough miles on it, a defect would have reared its ugly head by now. Again, drive it!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
your getting worked up over nothing, that's just a short distance - just go! as kevster mentioned just check your fluid levels and tire pressure. On my previous Kia - a Rondo, I took a six week, nearly 15,000 km trip and that's all I did and half-way through the trip I had the oil changed, that's it, no problems with the vehicle at any time. I had nearly 30,000 km on the vehicle before we left on the trip.

Your vehicles brand new, isn't that why you got it, so you don't have to worry about things like that?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Alright guys, I'm done being a wimp. LOL!

I went down just now and checked the engine and my oil, coolant, brake fluid, and washer fluid were all close to full. Anything else I should check for it to be a pure gold go?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
Alright guys, I'm done being a wimp. LOL!

I went down just now and checked the engine and my oil, coolant, brake fluid, and washer fluid were all close to full. Anything else I should check for it to be a pure gold go?
brake fluid, tire pressure..............gas ;) Your owners manual tells you what to check on a normal basis.

·
Registered
214 Posts
230 miles is chump change... Did 2700 mile round trip norcal to canada, 1000 miles last year to crater lake, 1800 miles round trip seattle this year.
Make sure your fluids are good, brakes are good, tires are good and tire pressure correct and you're more or less good to go.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
We just got back from a 500 mile road trip last weekend.....piece of cake! Enjoy your trip! :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
I did a 1,000 mile round trip to the beach in DE last year as my first decently long trip in the Soul and it did great. If you're worried about a flat, you might want to invest in the optional spare tire kit for peace of mind (I did). Otherwise, you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
I just watched a video review of the 2013 Soul this morning and they described it as an "Urban Passenger Vehicle". The Soul is so much more than that.
We went from Toronto to Lake Placid last Fall and toured that area over the next 2 days, then drove back again. As the sole Soul driver I was always comfortable and relaxed. Souls are great road-trip cars.

We go out on usually unplanned trips out of town, just for fits and giggles. It's not unusual for us to do near 400 kms in a day before returning home again.

Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Once a month I drive a round trip from Tampa to Tallahassee which is about 450 miles and enjoy every minute of it. In fact I'm looking forward to taking that ride on Friday. Have a safe trip!

·
Registered
339 Posts
As those above have said. Just drive it.
Do check your tire pressure. Mine had 45# when I picked it up new.
We've done several 1200-1500 mile trips, and I'm the only driver.
Love it. Best seats I've had since my 1960 Peugeot. :laughonfloor

·
Registered
458 Posts
As those above have said. Just drive it.
Do check your tire pressure. Mine had 45# when I picked it up new.
We've done several 1200-1500 mile trips, and I'm the only driver.
Love it. Best seats I've had since my 1960 Peugeot. :laughonfloor
Haha the seats may be better than your Peugeot, but they're by far the most uncomfortable seats I've been in, maybe besides the backseat of a Honda Fit :|

As for the OP, you should be fine. I do round trips from Austin to Houston, about 300 miles total on a semi-regular basis. Should be no issue, just check the tire pressure and oil level and you should be good to go. Just know that you should check tire pressure early in the morning when it's cool out to get an accurate reading since heat will raise the pressure. Also, check the oil level after the car has warmed up.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Jesse, here's the deal.....

If you take good care of your car, doing regular maintenance, as described in your owners manual and by common sense, you should be able to jump in your car and take off for any destination and not have to worry about getting there safely.
By 9k miles, you should have already had your third oil change. Eh?

Going 230 miles up I-95, some days, can be like doing 230 miles in a Wal-Mart parking lot.
I've been on that road many times, when it turns into the worlds longest parking lot. No kidding!

I've done the Ocala to Jax trip many times and I try to take the two-lane back roads as far as I can, just to stay off of I-95. It's a perpetual "construction zone".!!!
Many days, you could make better time on A1A. :rolleyes:

So leave early and plan on at least one Detour zone.
Watch your mirrors, for FHP's and always use your turn signal when changing lanes.

Drive carefully!

TM :cool:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all VERY much.

My worries are way down now. I feel confident and am actually pretty exciting for the trip! I love you Soulsters!

Just gonna go finally get those tires checked out for the PSI today and then I am all set!

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,618 Posts
YOU need to check your own tires. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a car back from a tire shop with four different pressures in four different tires.

Buy a decent 10 doillar gauge and do your own work. IF YOU WANT IT DONE RIGHT, DO IT YOURSELF.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
If you're on a tight budget, you can get the mechanical tire gauge for about a buck.
But if you want state of the art, digital, that will set you back at least ten bucks. I have both, but I use the mechanical gauge the most. I carry it with me in the car.
I also carry the little air pump that came with my car, just for emergencies.

For better MPG and better performance, quicker steering, etc, set your tires to 38 to 42 psi.
I run mine at 42, except when I'm pulling my Road Drag on my sand road.
Then I drop them down to 18psi, for increased traction in the loose sand. It works every time!

It's too bad, that I can't just push a button and change my tire pressure. I'm sure that's coming some day.

Enjoy that road trip. I wish I was going along!

I used to go to Jax about once a month, for the Market Pro computer shows.
I always enjoyed that trip, except for the construction zones, once I got on to I-95. I tried to stay on the two-lane roads as far as I could.

Cheers mate!
TechnoMage :cool:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Thank you all VERY much.

My worries are way down now. I feel confident and am actually pretty exciting for the trip! I love you Soulsters!

Just gonna go finally get those tires checked out for the PSI today and then I am all set!
TRUST ME, if I can do it SO CAN YOU! I'm slower than an Aesop character when it comes to almost any and everything automotive. I can look at an Aztec skeleton and tell you what they ate, how they lived, and how they died but if you asked me to change a flat I'd be dumfounded.

Believe me when I say, checking your tire pressure and inflating them is EASY. I bought a tire pressure gauge from Walmart for 8 bucks and its very simple to use and works like a charm. it's very small too, and currently sits in my cargo divider.

IF EBONI CAN DO IT, JESSE CAN DO IT! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 35 Posts