Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new '16 Soul and will be doing some rustproofing to it.

Are there any problem areas that need special attention? I plan on keeping it for probably 10yrs and 100k or so and live in the salt belt.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
There is extensive rust protection already on the vehicle and because I don't keep my vehicles for much more than 4-5 years I no longer bother. But if I was to rustproof it I would use Krown Rustproofing, its been around a long time and proven and for about $130 a year worth it for keeping it a long time and if you get it done within 6 months of purchase I believe you get a lifetime warranty.

I always give my vehicle a good rinse underneath every time we get extensive salt on the roads.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is extensive rust protection already on the vehicle and because I don't keep my vehicles for much more than 4-5 years I no longer bother. But if I was to rustproof it I would use Krown Rustproofing, its been around a long time and proven and for about $130 a year worth it for keeping it a long time and if you get it done within 6 months of purchase I believe you get a lifetime warranty.

I always give my vehicle a good rinse underneath every time we get extensive salt on the roads.
There are no Krown locations near me. I do remember and have proof that Ziebart did a good job years ago. My other car is proof of that.

DSC00873_zpsd6005786.jpg

DSC00877_zps651bdd4c.jpg

I'm probably going to spray it myself so I know it's done right. I'm actually an ex-Mopar master tech. They were going to throw the sprayers away when the porters stopped spraying rustproofing. I just need to buy the bottles normal and clear rustproofing.

I was more interested in knowing if any areas are known as problem areas where rust starts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Might be still too early to tell with some models where they are prone to rust. I bought my '16 new in October and had it rustproofed a few weeks later. For $100/year over 10 years, I'd gladly pay $1k to keep my car rust free.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought my soul in November. I'm getting it done in April as KROWN said it has be no later then 6 months after purchase to get the lifetime warranty. I did notice though, checking for paint chips after my trip to Boston, that the bottom of the rocker panel where it ends before the front wheel well has lost a lot of the rubberized factory coating and it's bare metal showing. I'll try and take a picture and post it.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Like Trevor I usually trade between 4&5 years, still I it get krowned simply to keep the surface rust off the undercarriage. Anal, but that's how I treat all the cars I have owned.

Pat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Chips on the rocker panels? Tires stick outside of the wheel wells, many new vehicles are like this. Need splash shields, use to call them mud flaps, I call them stone shields.

Rust proofing begins at the factory, use to add 0.5% nickel to the steel, but this stopped in year model 1948, was affecting new car sales, 1949 was the year Detroit invented rust. Could go out into a field, and see 20's-30's vehicles completely paint free, with just some minor surface rust, zero rust throughs.

Started using road salt in the early 70's in the USA, this really augmented rust, not only the body, but the exhaust system and brakes as well. Outlawed studded snow tires, purchased a new Buick Electra in 1965, put 330K miles on that car, in 1974 was rust free, in 1975 with road salt, was a pile of rust, still a good runner, but had to get rid of it.

Read that Kia and Hyundai with made in the USA vehicles is using galvanized steel, still not as good as adding nickel, but the Hyundai has a seven year rust through warranty. Not sure about the Soul made in South Korea as to what they are using.

Taking trips to South America is like going to an antique car show, rare to see a vehicle around here in a used car lot that is over nine years old. Las Vegas and Phoenix is about the same as South America, but the interiors are rotted out due to the sun.

State of Minnesota did a study, claim one ton of salt is costing them $3,800 in road repairs. Not using as much salt around here in Central Wisconsin, price jumped from 1n bucks to 120 bucks per ton.

Not sure how to post a photo of my 88 Supra on this board, had it for 29 years no.w, absolutely rust free, when the salt trucks come around, it stays in a semi-heated garage.

Used car dealers around here pile six guys into a car and drive down to Orlando to bur rust free cars, but they don't last more than a couple of years around here when exposed to road salt, road salt is the problem, costing us billions.

Blamed studded snow tires for road damage, starting the season of road repair, huge sections of concrete lifted due do salted water freezing up when deluded. Think if you want to hold a governmental office, must have an IQ less than two. Traction control and ABS will never replace studded snow tires and a limited slip differential.

·
Registered
840 Posts
You could always buy an Audi A8! No rust with that all aluminum beauty.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts