Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Soul looks great and I want to keep it that way. As I drive around town I see various vehicles with a lot of rust spots. I have been looking into rustproofing the soul, but I have read rustproofing is a thing of the past, and not necessary with new cars. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

·
Registered
79 Posts
As long as you don't have an old Toyota you should be ok! LOL

My buddy uses this on his 66 mustang: The Counter Act Electrostatic Corrosion Control System

But I have a 18yr old lincoln without any rust issues so I would not worry about it unless you have a paint chip down to the bare metal. Just wash out your under carriage in the winter and you should be good to go, that's what I do anyway.:D

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Just keep it clean. You car has a thick layer of undercoating.
Kia's have a lifetime warranty on perforation of the body due to corrosion.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
not sure where you got that info but according to the warranty manual that's not correct, its 5 yrs or 100,000 miles in the US and 5 yrs/unlimited in Canada

·
Registered
35 Posts
The rust has to get pretty bad for it to create a hole. I always give my car a rustproofing treatment every fall to prevent any spots from showing up. My sister doesn't protect her cars and they look like a pile of junk (rusted, but still no holes). I've known a few people who had rust show up and tried getting the warranty to repair it but were denied because there was no perforation. They ended up poking a few holes with a screwdriver to finally get it repaired.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
AH-HA!!! I was wrong. Maybe the lifetime perforation was for my VW.

At any rate, Conwel was right. The warranty period for perforation of any sheet metal due to manufacturing defects is 60 months/100,000 miles.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you're driving on roads that get salted in the winter, I'd get your cars sprayed annually with some sort of rust inhibitor. I live in south eastern Ontario and unprotected cars here rust away thanks to the tons of salt dumped on the roads each winter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought my Soul 2 Diesel in February. Here in the UK the roads get a healthy dose of rock salt every winter and some areas are using magnesium phosphate.

As already stated above, there is nothing under the car that will take much harm but I can assure you that some of the tin shields and lighter metal components will corrode and at best will get a coating of surface rust.

I like the bottom of my car to look good and be well preserved. I bought a cheap underseal gun off ebay (about 15 USD) and a gallon of Waxoyl. I warmed it up and sprayed it liberally underneath. I covered absolutely everything except the exhaust system. It does no harm to rubber and I sprayed it even onto the back of the hubs (a little gets on the brakes but it soon burns off. I guess it will not last long onder the wheel arches but for the rest it is still nice and waxy. I took the front bumper off, masked the radiators and did all the exposed metal;

To do the rear you have to remove the rear lamps, then the bumper;

Incidentally, those square holes in the rear valance go all the way forward to the suspension outriggers. The spray gun comes with an extension tube so you can get into cavities like that so all the chassis runners have been done in that way. In this close up you can see the consistency of the waxoyl. It dries a bit candle wax consistency and softens in hot weather. It stinks for the first week but it soon subsides;

There is about 2 litres under the whole of the car.

I put a thick coat of meguires gold behind the rear lights when putting it back. I'm away from home at the moment but will take some photos of just how good it is underneath over the weekend.

I know its a bit OCD but I intend keeping this vehicle so I will do my best to preserve it!

·
Registered
204 Posts
NOPE, it's 5 years. Just read the list. Cleaning the undercarriage with hot soapy water and rinsing well in the winter is the best way to protect it. I do it everyday that I drive in winter.
Don't recommend a presure washer. Just use hot water, only. I tap the drain valve (it's a brass one, change your valve if it's plastic) of the hot water tank. I turn the temperature back while washing the car (hose can't handle constant scalding hot water.) and turn it back up when finished. I try to keep the tank running about 100-105°F (take temperature at the faucet
in the bath.) If you can hold your hand under the hot water it's plenty hot.

Just keep it clean. You car has a thick layer of undercoating.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think a lot of questions are regional.
I live in an area where the weather is EXTREME (90F scorchers in summer to -60F snowy/icey roads in winter).
In the North, they use a LOT of road salt --NEED to or it would be a mess of accidents. The salts really do corrode metal underbodies badly (see H.S. Chem classes;-)

A freshwater underbody flush during the winter and some sort of protection aren't a bad idea. My relatives swear by it, and they tend to drive cars forever.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think a lot of questions are regional.
I live in an area where the weather is EXTREME (90F scorchers in summer to -60F snowy/icey roads in winter).
In the North, they use a LOT of road salt --NEED to or it would be a mess of accidents. The salts really do corrode metal underbodies badly (see H.S. Chem classes;-)

A freshwater underbody flush during the winter and some sort of protection aren't a bad idea. My relatives swear by it, and they tend to drive cars forever.
I also live in an area like yours and always Ziebart a car when I buy it. My last car was 12 years old and had no rust at all, even with the salty conditions in winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts