Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Last week I drove with my radio off for the first time in a long time and noticed a rattle coming from underneath at certain speeds/RPM's. I instantly thought of an exhaust heat shield. So today I go looking for the culprit and it was a heat shield, just not the main one. It was a small bend one about 6 in. long after the flex pipe. It broke away from thw brackets holding it and was vibrating against the exhaust pipe. I'm guessing it was there for the CA boot. My problem is this; should I bother replacing it? It seems hard to find. Has anyone else had this happen? Or is it just us in the north with salty winter roads?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Still under warranty? I would have the dealer replace or have one fabricated from CF...
I'm sure the winter weather and horrible salt has a lot to do with that. You might want to have it lifted to see what else old man winter and his buddy time have done to the under regions of your car.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The shield itself appears to just have surface pitting the mounts must have broken or corroded probably spot welded to down pipe.
Tacking back on would not be good idea in case down pipe is damaged . Best fix heat wrap wired onto that area to protect hear from rubber boot.

Jeff

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still under warranty? I would have the dealer replace or have one fabricated from CF...
I'm sure the winter weather and horrible salt has a lot to do with that. You might want to have it lifted to see what else old man winter and his buddy time have done to the under regions of your car.
Yeah the warranty should cover that, I'll have to check it out!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shield itself appears to just have surface pitting the mounts must have broken or corroded probably spot welded to down pipe.
Tacking back on would not be good idea in case down pipe is damaged . Best fix heat wrap wired onto that area to protect hear from rubber boot.

Jeff
I had thought about heat wrap too, an easy temp. fix

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had to have mine re-welded to fix it. I heard a low hum sound when accelerating and the heat shield was the problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had to have mine re-welded to fix it. I heard a low hum sound when accelerating and the heat shield was the problem.
Yeah tha was my exact problem too. it seemed kinda thin to reweld but I may look at that too. I can find all of the heat shields for the soul in bulk but no that individual one.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If the heat shield was thicker you would definitely damage down pipe tacking on the thinner metal will burn first. When and if welder agrees tacking will work spray area with heatproof zinc coat when finished.

Jeff

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the heat shield was thicker you would definitely damage down pipe tacking on the thinner metal will burn first. When and if welder agrees tacking will work spray area with heatproof zinc coat when finished.

Jeff
The heat shield also has 2 brackets (one on each end, not pictured) to clamp it to the exhaust pipe. I would take those off, tack it on and then reclamp it back on to the pipe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts