Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul! 2012
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first serious flat tire today while driving, and needed to use my doughnut-spare. Naturally, it was pretty low on air pressure, so I used the square 12v inflation pump that came with the car when I bought it.

The pump comes with a round canister and instructions to run the air pressure through the canister into the tire. Turns out, the canister is full of fix-a-flat type chemicals, and injects them into the tire.

So, I've used mine up, and in my feeling-like-an-idiot-for-hitting-a-rock-on-the-freeway rush to get back on the road, I tossed the expended canister without noting the part number or MFG.

So, are these available on the open market? Anyone know who makes it? Where I can buy it? I figure I should replace mine... it was useful.

The doughnut spare, btw, got me 250 miles home, and drove surprisingly well.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
You can usually find that stuff on eBay. The part number for just the sealant is 52932-AA300, but it looks like it might actually be cheaper just to buy another tire mobility kit.

Reactions: bigfatguy

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I don't know that I would bother with it if you have a good spare. It's redundant and a mess to clean up the wheel when you get around to replacing the tire. I keep the 12v pumps in both of my cars even though I have spares in both, as that is a useful tool - both to top up the spare, if you forgot, or just adding a little air to your regular tires. I've even used mine to see where my wife ran over something - just hook it up and pump it up and see where the air's coming out. Once I used it when she ran over something at Home Depot - it had a very slow leak but was totally flat when she came out of the store. I pumped it up full and could hear air coming out of the tire, but it wasn't terribly fast and I was able to drive it about a mile straight to the tire store and get it fixed without ever breaking out the spare.

·
Registered
Kia Soul! 2012
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you buy a new tire or have the flat fixed, be sure and inform the tire shop that you put fix a flat in it. Stuff makes a mess.
The flat tire, itself, is completely wrecked. I'm visiting a junk yard to get a new wheel later this week. (I hit a decent sized rock at freeway speeds.)

The fix-a-flat is in my doughnut spare, which I'll likely just replace so I don't have to worry about the gunk in the future.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
627 Posts
...I figure I should replace mine... it was useful...
The way I interpret your original post, sounds like you (unknowingly) pumped the sealant into your spare tire - is that correct?

The pressure in the spare was low so in the future would only need to attach the air compressor directly to the spare tire without the canister of sealant in between.

The canister is for use on a low or flat tire (leaking air due to a puncture). Mainly for use by those of us who don't have a spare tire.

I wonder if the - I presume still liquid sealant will pool - and in the long term harden into a lump, and possibly cause the spare to be seriously out of balance the next time put in use???

If me I think I'd take the spare to a tire shop, let them know it contains sealant, get the spare tire cleaned out of sealant and remounted.

·
Registered
Kia Soul! 2012
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem.

I realize NOW that I should have just used the pump, but I was at the point of FOLLOWING instructions without really UNDERSTANDING instructions, if you get my meaning. :)

The last time I had to change a tire it was on my Bronco, where the spare is just another wheel with another tire... all this DIY inflation stuff is new to me.

I will say, though, that little compressor really impressed me. I may keep one in all my cars.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
627 Posts
... but I was at the point of FOLLOWING instructions without really UNDERSTANDING instructions, if you get my meaning. :)
Yeah, unfortunately I do 🤦‍♂️

The last time I had to change a tire it was on my Bronco, where the spare is just another wheel with another tire
Do you still have the Bronco?

Out of college I bought a F-150 (standard cab with 8ft bed) and in hindsight I wish the saleman had thought to show me a Bronco. Would have been a lot more user friendly for daily use and roadtrips.

The F-150 had a full-size spare but it was a hassle to get it free - mounted underneath the rear end of the bed. After adding a bed topper to my truck I eventually placed the spare in the bed making it so much easier to get to and use.

... all this DIY inflation stuff is new to me....
Same here. My previous vehicles had either full-size or donut spares. My Kia Soul didn't come with a spare tire.

Sometime back threw out the Kia sealant canister as it was well past the expiration date. I haven't bothered to replace it but did add a plug repair kit to go with the Kia air compressor I carry in the car .

I haven't bought a Kia spare tire kit as I like having the extra out-of-sight storage space in a small car.

I will say, though, that little compressor really impressed me...
Good to know. Knock-on-wood haven't had to use mine, only tested it once (on an already inflated tire) to check that it operated.

·
Registered
Kia Soul! 2012
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still have the Bronco (a '96) but I just purchased a 2002 Excursion, so the Bronco is going to go up for sale at some point... and the guy who turned me onto the Excursion gets first shot at it. :)

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
No problem.

I realize NOW that I should have just used the pump, but I was at the point of FOLLOWING instructions without really UNDERSTANDING instructions, if you get my meaning. :)

The last time I had to change a tire it was on my Bronco, where the spare is just another wheel with another tire... all this DIY inflation stuff is new to me.

I will say, though, that little compressor really impressed me. I may keep one in all my cars.
The compressor is pretty decent and actually fairly durable. I've used the one in my wife's car probably half a dozen times so far. Not fast by any stretch of the imagination but the fact that it can actually push 35+ PSI into a tire, given its size, is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The fix a flat really makes a mess when you use it on a bicycle tire. It gums up the inflation tube (can't think of the proper name) & makes it REALLY hard to add or remove air after it sets. You almost have to buy a new tube. Useful if there is a nail hole but otherwise not a good idea.

·
Registered
Kia Soul! 2012
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The fix a flat really makes a mess when you use it on a bicycle tire. It gums up the inflation tube (can't think of the proper name) & makes it REALLY hard to add or remove air after it sets. You almost have to buy a new tube. Useful if there is a nail hole but otherwise not a good idea.
Yeah... I didn't realize what that little canister was for until I disconnected the hose from the tire and it spooged all over my hand. I'm sure the valve is ALL kinds of gummed up.

I think that doughnut spare is basically a monolithic piece now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had my first serious flat tire today while driving, and needed to use my doughnut-spare. Naturally, it was pretty low on air pressure, so I used the square 12v inflation pump that came with the car when I bought it.

The pump comes with a round canister and instructions to run the air pressure through the canister into the tire. Turns out, the canister is full of fix-a-flat type chemicals, and injects them into the tire.

So, I've used mine up, and in my feeling-like-an-idiot-for-hitting-a-rock-on-the-freeway rush to get back on the road, I tossed the expended canister without noting the part number or MFG.

So, are these available on the open market? Anyone know who makes it? Where I can buy it? I figure I should replace mine... it was useful.

The doughnut spare, btw, got me 250 miles home, and drove surprisingly well.
SLIME is a brand of tire sealant that can be found at the Walmart bicycle tire section and your friendly car repair store too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts