Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
My wife's 2020 Soul X-Line has a pretty firm ride. It's certainly not pleasant on bumpy roads.
I have a 2020 Soul and a firm ride is a NICE description. I put it on the tire type and size. When these small profile tires wear out, I'm going to give considerable thought to larger balloon type tires. I may be old school, but the new thin tires just don't look like a smooth ride.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So I am a new member and I am loving my 2014 Kia Soul Plus, but I noticed it takes bumps and rough road conditions pretty hard. Is this a normal thing for Gen 2 Souls or do you think I need new shocks or struts? The vehicle takes just about any bump a little hard (I’m not bouncing and the car isn’t shaking around). I just don’t want to ruin the underside of the car.
I have a Gen 3 (2020 EX) and it's no better. In fact it's the poorest riding affordable commuter car I've ever owned. Civics, Corollas, Golfs, Jettas, etc., all ride an order of magnitude better on rough pavement. I had a 1999 Miata that rode better than the new Soul. Blame the crude rear suspension. But...

It has great traction. It's light, has the tires at the very corner, and generates surprising amounts of grip for relatively narrow tires and small contact patch. Oddly enough the Gen 3 EX with the 17s and run of the mill Nexen touring tires has more stick and grip than the GT-Line Turbo with larger wheels, and lower profile sticker tires. Maybe it's an added weight thing?

But yeah, the poor ride quality is one of a handful of things that would cause me not to have another Soul as my next commuter.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul +
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have a Gen 3 (2020 EX) and it's no better. In fact it's the poorest riding affordable commuter car I've ever owned. Civics, Corollas, Golfs, Jettas, etc., all ride an order of magnitude better on rough pavement. I had a 1999 Miata that rode better than the new Soul. Blame the crude rear suspension. But...

It has great traction. It's light, has the tires at the very corner, and generates surprising amounts of grip for relatively narrow tires and small contact patch. Oddly enough the Gen 3 EX with the 17s and run of the mill Nexen touring tires has more stick and grip than the GT-Line Turbo with larger wheels, and lower profile sticker tires. Maybe it's an added weight thing?

But yeah, the poor ride quality is one of a handful of things that would cause me not to have another Soul as my next commuter.
Yeah so far I’ve found it ride the roughest on bumpier roads, roads with minor pot holes, and over railroad tracks. Otherwise it has been riding fair. As of right now I may consider another Soul.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You want a really smooth ride. Get a 60's Caddy or similar land cruiser! Th more the shocks are shot, the better. I learned to drive in a 60's Pontiac Grand Prix! What a boat! Three 2-barrels and a 4-speed to lay down some rubber and noise!:LOL:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
You want a really smooth ride. Get a 60's Caddy or similar land cruiser! Th more the shocks are shot, the better. I learned to drive in a 60's Pontiac Grand Prix! What a boat! Three 2-barrels and a 4-speed to lay down some rubber and noise!:LOL:
My first car was a '70 Buick LeSabre land yacht with a 350 ci V8.
I always preferred small cars, even then.
But Mom and Dad made me an offer I couldn't refuse on that car.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts