Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul +
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a new member and I am loving my 2014 Kia Soul Plus, but I noticed it takes bumps and rough road conditions pretty hard. Is this a normal thing for Gen 2 Souls or do you think I need new shocks or struts? The vehicle takes just about any bump a little hard (I’m not bouncing and the car isn’t shaking around). I just don’t want to ruin the underside of the car.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yep! It's not a soft ride! Do you have the low profile tires? They don't help for a soft ride. (y)(n)

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,682 Posts
So I am a new member and I am loving my 2014 Kia Soul Plus, but I noticed it takes bumps and rough road conditions pretty hard. Is this a normal thing for Gen 2 Souls or do you think I need new shocks or struts? The vehicle takes just about any bump a little hard (I’m not bouncing and the car isn’t shaking around). I just don’t want to ruin the underside of the car.
Like celron says, not a soft ride. But nothing engendered to the Soul only. All these short wheel base, torsion beam rear suspension vehicles naturally will give a harsher ride (think of a small jeep). Common experiences among all makers.

Does anyone else think the HRV has a bumpy ride?

Reactions: quietguy

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul +
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep! It's not a soft ride! Do you have the low profile tires? They don't help for a soft ride. (y)(n)
I don’t know if I have low profile tires but the ride reminds me of my Chrysler PT Cruiser that I drove from 2015-2020. Other than the bumpy roads it will ride smooth.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul +
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 2010-2011 Souls are super soft. You can rock a parked car with your wrist. What changed?
My co-worker has a 2019 base model Soul and says it rides fine for him so maybe Kia fixed the issue after 2014.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul +
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like celron says, not a soft ride. But nothing engendered to the Soul only. All these short wheel base, torsion beam rear suspension vehicles naturally will give a harsher ride (think of a small jeep). Common experiences among all makers.

Does anyone else think the HRV has a bumpy ride?
Yeah my 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser also rode rough so it definitely must be a small wheel base compact crossover vehicle kind of thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check your tire pressures. Overinflated tires will exacerbate any tendency the car has to a rough ride. As noted, a relatively short wheelbase and low profile tires also contribute to the condition on the Soul. Tire pressure is the key element that you can control to reduce ride harshness. That being said, don't go below the recommended pressure. You will find on a sticker on the driver's side door jamb detailing the recommended tire pressure for your car and the tires originally specified for it.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul +
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check your tire pressures. Overinflated tires will exacerbate any tendency the car has to a rough ride. As noted, a relatively short wheelbase and low profile tires also contribute to the condition on the Soul. Tire pressure is the key element that you can control to reduce ride harshness. That being said, don't go below the recommended pressure. You will find on a sticker on the driver's side door jamb detailing the recommended tire pressure for your car and the tires originally specified for it.
Ok I’ll check that. Thank you!

·
Registered
607 Posts
..... or do you think I need new shocks or struts? .....
Do the bounce test. Press hard with body weight the 4 corners of the vehicle. If the oscillation dampens quickly, then the shocks/struts are fine. If one or more keep bouncing or otherwise feel sloppy, then replace.

Shocks are important for handling and safety.

Shocks and struts are wear items.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My wife's 2020 Soul X-Line has a pretty firm ride. It's certainly not pleasant on bumpy roads.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I've noticed in the past, driving on dirt roads that are washboard,
going faster helped smooth out the ride. I must have been going slow, cuz you can't actually go fast.
Also this was with a different vehicle some years ago, and I don't usually drive dirt roads much.

Smie random thought.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul +
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've noticed in the past, driving on dirt roads that are washboard,
going faster helped smooth out the ride. I must have been going slow, cuz you can't actually go fast.
Also this was with a different vehicle some years ago, and I don't usually drive dirt roads much.

Smie random thought.
Yeah even driving faster I still feel the bumps a little hard. But my PT Cruiser did the same thing so I’m not overly worried about it.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul +
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My wife's 2020 Soul X-Line has a pretty firm ride. It's certainly not pleasant on bumpy roads.
Interesting. So I suppose it is an issue for every generation of Soul. No matter, I’m still loving my second gen Soul!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul +
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do the bounce test. Press hard with body weight the 4 corners of the vehicle. If the oscillation dampens quickly, then the shocks/struts are fine. If one or more keep bouncing or otherwise feel sloppy, then replace.

Shocks are important for handling and safety.

Shocks and struts are wear items.
Ok. Yeah I’ll have to do that tomorrow and see. Thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yep! It's a hard, or not so soft ride! I just sit on a soft cushion and turn up the music! :LOL:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2016 1.6 base automatic with 25k miles. The ride is incredibly smooth for such a small car. I'm glad it doesn't have the larger low profiles tires which hurt the ride. Lots of nice wheel travel and comfort with the base model. The 2016 CR-V sport I gave to my daughter would beat you to death on a long trip but the Soul is so less tiring.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts