Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Router hot spots and brake pads
Hello,
I bought a used kia soul from the lexus valencia dealership with 36k miles on september 30th. I noticed loud squeeking noise from my brakes 2 weeks later so I took the car back to the lexus dealership on october 18th. They said that the brakes had glaziing and needed to be resurfaced. so they turned the routers and said the car should be good at no charge. Now 5 months(2500 miles) later I heard the same loud squeeking from my brakes and decided to take the car to the Kia of valencia dealership which happens to be owned by lexus of valencia(where i bought the car) and Kia told me that I need front and rear brake pads and the routers now have hot spots which will require the router to be resurfaced again to remove the hot spots. They also mentioned that the brake pads should have been replaced to begin with before when the glazing was found on the routers even though at this moment 7mm(70%) of pad life is there.
So I ended up taking the car back to lexus without doing the recommended repair by Kia because to me this is a connected issue to when I first had problems with the routers. Lexus is now pretty much placing the blame on me saying that I could have caused the hot spots by braking too hard when I drive too fast or riding my brakes which is a lie because I dont drive like that. They also started saying that their lexus techs are better than the kia techs and would like the lexus techs to take a look at it instead so the sales manager can speak to the general manager to see if they would help us out.
To my knowledge if glazing is occuring there is something wrong with the calibration, possibly after market pads, resurfacing and turning the routers caused to router to be thinner which caused the hot spots due to the router heating up more than it could take since there was not enough heat distribution, or taking the advice of the Kia dealership, the pads should have been replaced from the start.
What is the proper way to fix this issue? Should I ask for the pads to be replaced and routers to be turned like Kia recommends or is there another issue? Would getting new routers instead of pads be a better idea since there is 7mm left? How can I prove these lexus [email protected] wrong?
Thank you so much in advance,
Soulwoman

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,618 Posts
I'd probably look for a trustworthy repair shop.

Rotors should not be turned twice.

From a net search, it appears hot spots will not grind down easily due to being heat-hardened.

After a couple of cars suffered repeated rotor warp, I made some modifications of my driving behavior. If stopping hard from speed, I stop short of where I typically would stop and then let the car roll a short distance a few times, to let the brakes rotate & cool fairly evenly.

It was probably a service manager or a wrench who told me to do that.

Otherwise if you nail 'em and just keep the brakes clamped on for a minute or two, you're holding the very hot pads and that spot on the brake disc together, which can create warp or hot spots.

http://www.tirerack.com/FAQ/results.jsp?category=Brakes

can you turn rotors that have "Hot Spots" - Maxima Forums

Good luck. Surely some experts here will chime in. And welcome to the Soul Forums!

·
Registered
197 Posts
How long did it sit on the lot?

Google "lot rot" for brakes. While turning the rotors should have helped, sometimes lot rot will mess them up to the point where they need to be replaced, depending upon how it was driven with a nice coating of rust on them.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
Soulwoman welcome to the forums!! Most cars nowadays have very thin rotors for weight savings, so they should be replaced instead of resurfaced. I would go ahead and replace both the rotors and the pads at the same time in my opinion for piece of mind. My 5 year old Exclaim has 66,000+ miles and still on the original pads & rotors. ?

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,618 Posts
Soulwoman welcome to the forums!! Most cars nowadays have very thin rotors for weight savings, so they should be replaced instead of resurfaced. I would go ahead and replace both the rotors and the pads at the same time in my opinion for piece of mind. My 5 year old Exclaim has 66,000+ miles and still on the original pads & rotors. ��
Agree with that. Trying to rescue damaged goods is a waste of time and money at this point.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Drilled/slotted rotors (not routers) can be had fairly cheaply as a kit with pads included.
Stock style without slots or rotors can be had even cheaper.
Some carry considerable warranties as well.
Do a little shopping or pole up some folks here to see what they have used with favorable results.
Ebay should have numerous kits available as well as rock auto and alike.
Some of the contenders come from EBC, Hawk, Power Stop, Raybestos, Bendix, Centric and the list goes on.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
My independent shop I use & trust quoted me 300.00 for rotors & pads installed
( front's only )

I did like Sradiator said....
Bought a similar kit & installed myself, saved 200.00

Even though I'm pretty sure your not doing this job yourself
This would give you an idea on what fair market pricing is for your Soul brakes

I had to grab those even though I did not need them.
It's a character flaw of mine...I can't resist a good deal.
Keep a lookout as I will probably offer them up here if/when we sell our soul.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
At just 33k miles on my Kia Soul, I don't need pads or rotors, but when I do, I'll get the drilled and slotted rotors and Ceramic Brake pads, probably purchased from "Rock Auto" where I've done business before.

For high speed driving and braking, the Drilled and Slotted rotors will cool much better, and perform much better in wet conditions.

Good Luck!
:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
A couple months ago my ex-gf's 2011 front brakes started shimmying at about 35k+ miles; on inspection front pads needed to be replaced. Due to budget reasons I installed for her Duralast Max brake pads at 37314mi. After a couple of days with new front pads she said car steering wheel shimmy's when she brakes hard and she's hard on her brakes. FYI, I've worked on cars for many years; I consider myself an intermediate DIY. So concerned I inspected front brakes and suspension/steering components to be sure I didn't miss something or something else possibly contributing to issue. Brake components are installed correctly and no outer lip on rotors. So is it possible that these Autozone pads aren't a right fit for this car and/or maybe caused hot spot/s on rotors...? I'm going to inspect car tomorrow and see what is going on with it.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
You need new rotors as the ones you have are probably warped due to excessive heat. ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You need new rotors as the ones you have are probably warped due to excessive heat. ��
Buzz, thanks for your advice! So do you not recommend using aftermarket pads with oem rotors? She's on a budget, so what would you recommend for rotors?

Carl

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
Aftermarket pads are fine but it sounds like the damage was already done before you did the pad change. OEM rotors are fine as well as aftermarket. I would get what your budget will allow.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hello Soulwoman We call the rotors Discs and Disc pads. Buzz is right no Kia engineer would clean the rotors not Safe on modern materials. The Lexus garage should know better and may be legal case to answer.
The pad material starts about 10mm and should be replaced about 3mm. Inferior pads can ruin the rotors and would imagine this has happened if badly worn on 36k miles.
Buzz is right even Techno likely to get 50k+ staying with Quality pads lol.. So best to get rotors and rotor pads replaced. Rear rotors should not yet be destroyed but matching Quality pads should be fitted at same time .
Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts