Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone successfully removed/changed the two of them.. i know there was talk but has anyone actually removed the roof racks? what does entail? i spoke to the sales rep at my local dealer briefly on this and he said that they are not removable and come from the factory with or without em.. im a firm believer in "if there's a will there's a way" so who's done this?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
If you have the factory installed roof rails, i would strongly suggest against removing them as they are drilled into the vehicle and also may cause airbag issues/deployment.

This is only from what i've read, though. Possibly someone else on here would know more.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Nope, no one has removed them for the reasons stated by EboniLM.

Can I ask you WHY? And what part of Canada are you from?
Many people would kill to have the OEM Roof Racks on their Souls....
If You don't like the Roof Rack, you should have gotten the SX!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I like the roof racks. At one point we were looking at a used Burner and I was disappointed it didn't have roof racks. We were actually looking into buying them separately.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Nope, no one has removed them for the reasons stated by EboniLM.

Can I ask you WHY? And what part of Canada are you from?
Many people would kill to have the OEM Roof Racks on their Souls....
If You don't like the Roof Rack, you should have gotten the SX!
I'm one of those who'd kill for the OEM roof racks on my SOUL. I don't understand why someone wouldn't want them either. Now I have to eventually shell out $250 for aftermarkets. :( Keep your OEM roof racks!! :(

I second Marc, why don't you want them?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take it easy everyone, its just a question of preference.. the reason i didn't
get the sx is cause the dealer worked a better deal for the 2u i bought cause it was on the lot and they wanted to make the final sale of march. everything else they had on the lot was a auto and i wanted a five speed. i don't care for upgraded stereo as i upgrade my own anyway, i don't care for sunroofs cause my previous 3 cars had em and they all end up leaking eventually. I assumed i could just remove the roofrack as i don't generally haul anything on my roof..I find the storage inside adequate..
Surely you all must agree that if i you had no intention of using the rack its nothing more than a eye sore.
Now this business of airbag deployment. Can anyone elaborate? did this happen to someone? what did they do to cause this? removing the headliner and a few bolts cant have anything to do with airbag deployment or that would make the system very dangerous don't you think?

·
Registered
690 Posts
i wouldn't kill anyone for it but I sure would like to have one :) because I really want one, i did research on how to install while back and it seems to be exactly same setup as our 2010RX. on RX, rails come with vehicle but owners have them remove because of slight wind noise or do not like the aesthetics of the rail.

I can't remember the site but you may be able to find it again. its really simple, all you have to do is remove the end cap [end of each side] using plastic jammy and you can slide out the black cap/molding exposing the rail slot. I have done something similar to install crossbar on my RX but I have not actually have done the removal on Soul. try it and you have nothing to loose but little of your time. make sure to post pics and share your experience. you should not have any problem selling the rails here.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I have NO intentions of using my Roof Rack ever, BUT I do NOT think it is an eyesore. Quite the contrary. The Roof Rack finishes off the Soul. It adds to the overall look of the Soul.
Tell you what, if you want to remove them, talk to your dealership and ask them if they would even attempt on taking them off. Good luck on that one.

Surely you all must agree that if i you had no intention of using the rack its nothing more than a eye sore.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Here:
This will help you (DIY)

Roof Rack Replacement:

- When prying with a flat-tip screwdriver, wrap it with protective tape, and apply protective tape around the related parts, to prevent damage.

- Put on gloves to protect your hands.

- Take care not to scratch the body surface.

Remove the roof rack cover (A).

2. Remove the roof rack (A).

Your rubber molding on the roof which are located under the covers will probably have holes in it now. Make sure you seal them somehow.

Glad I could help you.

Now that your roof rack is off, sell it to a member on here :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Um, no, I absolutely disagree. We have no intention of using the roof rack on our Soul, we happen to think it looks nice, it completes the look. But thats just me.

If you prefer the look of plastic plugs on your roof where the roof racks should go, then by all means, take them off. Whatever floats your boat. :)

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
You are not alone VanillaShakeSoulGirl. Read my response at the bottom of page 1 of this thread. I said exactly the same thing ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm sure i know what the dealer will say already, not to mention the ridiculous amount of money they would want if they would do it.. I didn't mean to offend anyone by not wanting them. As i said its just a question of preference, and the roofracks don't really do anything for the look I'm trying to achieve..
Thank yo info Marc, I'm curious as to how that method of removal can in some way deploy the air bag? seems rather simple. is the roof rack just screwed into the roof of the car through the rain sill ( plastic strips that flow done the roof on either side) or is that a separate piece altogether that i will need to purchase. if they are there, and the rack is just placed over them then what is all the fuss about over a few tiny holes that can be easily sealed and covered.. I hoping i can look into this this weekend..if I do get them off I'll happily sell em to some one who will appreciate them.. I too don't want to see them wasted ;)

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I think the issue with the airbags are for installing the roof rack by drilling through or part of the roof may deploy the curtain airbags located on the sides of the Soul. At the factory, the Roof Rack were probably installed before the airbags were installed.

I got the above info from KIA Tech Info. It is what the techs at dealership follow to preform installs or replacements. In their instructions, there were no mentions of being careful to not deploy the airbags. From their instructions, it looks simple enough.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So, if someone were to buy these, what are the potential issues installing them? Do US Souls that obviously didn't come with the bars have all the necessary mounting spots underneath the sills? I would be interested in obtaining a set of these, depending on the install procedure.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Take it easy everyone, its just a question of preference.. the reason i didn't
get the sx is cause the dealer worked a better deal for the 2u i bought cause it was on the lot and they wanted to make the final sale of march. everything else they had on the lot was a auto and i wanted a five speed. i don't care for upgraded stereo as i upgrade my own anyway, i don't care for sunroofs cause my previous 3 cars had em and they all end up leaking eventually. I assumed i could just remove the roofrack as i don't generally haul anything on my roof..I find the storage inside adequate..
Now this business of airbag deployment. Can anyone elaborate? did this happen to someone? what did they do to cause this? removing the headliner and a few bolts cant have anything to do with airbag deployment or that would make the system very dangerous don't you think?
I have no intention in actually USING the roof racks, i just want them because it'd complete and even out my vehicle. plus, it'd make it look sportier.

eye sore? i think not. i think this is quite strange, but if you want to go through the hassle of drilling through your roof ... go ahead. As Marc said, ask your dealer, and see what they say. I doubt they'd touch it. If anything happened, they'd be responsible for it.

Airbags are serious business. If you try and take them out yourself, you'd have to pay to fix it out of your pocket as that would SURELY void yotu warranty on that particular area.

I don't understand your logic, but good luck.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Oh, so airbag issue is only for installing the OEM roof racks?

Disregard that portion of my post, then. My apologies, 1fast6. No harm no foul.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I had time to do some exploring today. I have the 2011 with the roof rails. removed one to see what replacing with the rail sills would entail.. i took pics but dont know how to upload em so i will do my best to describe what i found..
first and for most there are no holes that go through the roof. there are brackets beneath them that the bolts come up thru..im guessing this is simular to the aftermarket mounting method but instead of going thru the rain sills there are brackets installed at the factory for this purpose..looks as if the partial rain sill prolly mounts exactly as the models without roof racks with clips ..removing the tail light and the end cap easily gets to them.
it looks as if those with roof rails can easily switch between rain sills and roofrails with little modification.. of course i wont know for sure until someone removes the rain sills.. it might be worth alittle exploring just to see if the brackets lie under them for the roof rails..
if someone would like me to send them the pictures or tell me how to upload em i will throw them up for people to see what i mean

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,091 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts