Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey bought myself a 2018 Kia soul + about a year back. I have the mount points on the roof. Has anyone bought this rack?? If yes how do you like it?? I'm on a shoe string budget and would really love a sub $100 option.

Roof rack

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
470 Posts
Since I myself was also interested in that same less expensive rack, I had come across this posting here regarding that particular brand. If you follow his link you'll find he left a fairly detailed review on Amazon's product page. Let us know what you eventually go with—it's something I may need to buy myself after road-trip vacationing become safe again. 😢

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul +
9 Posts
I read some where that the OEM racks aren't bad, personally never used my racks but they do look pretty sturdy Might can find OEM racks for cheap at a junk yard. Considering how many of them around my area have been rear ended or has hit something a lot of racks are intact on these once they go there.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well everyone. The shoe string budget finder comes through. 30 dollars from a guy on Craigslist. I've got to be. The luckiest dude around

Cool! Which is that, Omac or Kia?
Please follow up with a review if you can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe it is the omacs because it looks exactly the same but there's a different company name under the side posts. I'll try to figure it out when I'm not at work. As for reviews what catagories should I rate it on? I've never had a car with a roof rack so I don't really have any experience to rate it on.

So far under 65 mph there's no wind noise. Above 65 there's a very slight almost whistle but it only happens when a gust of air hits it. They seem sturdy but we're a pain in the rump to get them on.

For 30 bucks I'd do it again in a heart beat.

·
Registered
470 Posts
As for reviews what catagories should I rate it on? I've never had a car with a roof rack so I don't really have any experience to rate it on.
I guess how well it holds up with what you place on it. The review of the Omac model I linked above said that it easily flexed under a certain amount of weight and seemed to be limited. Also how easy it is to attach and remove—another buyer couldn't remove a bolt from their car. Yikes! I've never owned one myself so I really don't know beyond what others have figured out through their own use. But at $30 I also wouldn't complain too much if it falls short in some applications. 👍

·
Registered
470 Posts
So update. I found a guy selling a roof box on OfferUp so for $100 all in I have the roof rack and roof box. What do you guys think?? Red rockets ready!
Looks great and another great find!
Where the heck do you live to have found both so quickly? You're either real good at finding online deals or you were lucky enough to follow the end of a rainbow...twice! 😁
I'm envious. I sure could have used that setup myself last summer. 👍

How much weight can you put up there?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a pretty good handle on used markets and I like to haggle. Which helps out a lot. Originally this was posted for 150 and sat for a while. Talked the guy down to 70 and he even delivered it. I'm in STL which has a pretty healthy used market for everything.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have a pretty good handle on used markets and I like to haggle. Which helps out a lot. Originally this was posted for 150 and sat for a while. Talked the guy down to 70 and he even delivered it. I'm in STL which has a pretty healthy used market for everything.

I'm pretty sure you're just pretty good at finding deals. My son has that knack. The Chicagoland area has just a few more people over St. Louis, so don't discount that talent. 😉
Are you off on a road trip soon?

BTW, below is some info I use for helping new members fill out their signatures so that we can see what Soul model/trim you have without having to ask. It could help you, and us, should you decide to continue to hang out here. 👍

You'll find a lot of helpful, friendly people here to answer questions about your new ride! To get the best out of these forums take a moment to read through the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), page if you haven't already done so.

Also be sure to fill out your Signature with the year/trim/mileage/add-ons of your Soul along with your location. (you can use my signature as an example) This will help us to immediately know some basic information about your car that you won't need to repeat–plus you can add a photo to show off your ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I certainly appreciate that. We just left on Thursday and came back on Sunday. Everything held up well. Roof rack was great but I think I may have killed every bug between Missouri and Wisconsin.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well I certainly appreciate that. We just left on Thursday and came back on Sunday. Everything held up well. Roof rack was great but I think I may have killed every bug between Missouri and Wisconsin.
What was the increase in wind noise like? Did you pack it full and did the rails bow at all? I ask because these looked to be the complaints on Amazon's page for the Omac crossbars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So a bit of an increase in wind noise but no whistling or anything. The attachment points are close to the sides on it so there was no noticable bow. I could see if you are placing weight right in the center it might bow a bit but overall pretty impressed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have to say that I really need to listen hard to detect a noise. I would describe it as more of a low hum than a whistle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts