Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest bullshi+ problem with my 2012 Soul+. The front outside roof pillar panel on the passenger side popped loose from the top. I snapped it back in place by hand only to have it pop loose again after driving around a bit. ANOTHER trip to the dealership! They replaced the panel. A few days later same problem. Here we go again. KIA will be a one off purchase for me. Next time I'm stick with the Japanese manufactures.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
sorry to hear that....have you got extreme temperatures or something?...... this rarely happens and usually its after a windscreen replacement when they have been badly refitted.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Where is Agartha? Sorry to hear you are having problem(s)! I read many times in my research before purchasing my Soul that all of today's cars are far more reliable than cars of yesteryear. Kia has been working hard to improve. Mine has certainly surprised me. I hope things improve for you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Me, I guess I am not quite as sympathetic when someone decides for themself to chuck the vehicle brand over such a problem. Of course I have not had it personally happen to my '12 Soul, yet, either. I'd have to base my own decision on much more than one issue such as that, but that is just me. I'd be looking at trends and also at how to improve the attachment pieces for this particular piece. I have been following that sort of issue on this site and found it to seldom happen. Most often it was reported as having happened after a windshield had been replaced or in a very cold climate. No real trend from what I have read about so far, but it does bear watching for such. I'd be more interested in finding a good solution by any replacement, instead of considering the car a flop just because of such. If I had done that out of frustration, I'd have given up on my old PT Cruiser long ago, just as I would have my Geo Metro, my Dodge Spirit, my Honda CRV, my Chevy S10, my Plymouth colt Vista and a host of others I lost track of a long time back. All had some issue that was somewhat similar. (All had some minor part fall off or become unworkable).

I am not discounting the frustration a new owner would have at all over having to contend with such, especially if it happend more than once. I just feel the fix may be the fastener or the hole that the fastener is secured inside. Something isn't right or wasn't done right in the re-installation, but I'd bet it is not something that isn't actually fixable. I just believe I'd be less inclined to chuck the brand immediately over this particular issue alone and find something more to base that on, first. It is a warranty issue, so good luck in the dealership resolving it in the future. If it were something that was a reoccuring thing on my car, I believe I'd demand to watch any replacement installation in person. Seems any dealer worth their salt in trying to please a customer would agree to that. Good luck on a fix.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Me, I guess I am not quite as sympathetic when someone decides for themself to chuck the vehicle brand over such a problem. Of course I have not had it personally happen to my '12 Soul, yet, either. I'd have to base my own decision on much more than one issue such as that, but that is just me. I'd be looking at trends and also at how to improve the attachment pieces for this particular piece. I have been following that sort of issue on this site and found it to seldom happen. Most often it was reported as having happened after a windshield had been replaced or in a very cold climate. No real trend from what I have read about so far, but it does bear watching for such. I'd be more interested in finding a good solution by any replacement, instead of considering the car a flop just because of such. If I had done that out of frustration, I'd have given up on my old PT Cruiser long ago, just as I would have my Geo Metro, my Dodge Spirit, my Honda CRV, my Chevy S10, my Plymouth colt Vista and a host of others I lost track of a long time back. All had some issue that was somewhat similar. (All had some minor part fall off or become unworkable).

I am not discounting the frustration a new owner would have at all over having to contend with such, especially if it happend more than once. I just feel the fix may be the fastener or the hole that the fastener is secured inside. Something isn't right or wasn't done right in the re-installation, but I'd bet it is not something that isn't actually fixable. I just believe I'd be less inclined to chuck the brand immediately over this particular issue alone and find something more to base that on, first. It is a warranty issue, so good luck in the dealership resolving it in the future. If it were something that was a reoccuring thing on my car, I believe I'd demand to watch any replacement installation in person. Seems any dealer worth their salt in trying to please a customer would agree to that. Good luck on a fix.
This isn't the only problem I've had with the car. Initially the speakers and car alarm didn't work right (wiring/fuse problem), there is a harsh rattling sound at cold start-up (this is supposedly normal although I find that hard to believe), the car periodically idles rough although this has improved with time, there was a TSB regarding valve lifters I had to notify my clueless dealership about and now I've got a body panel popping loose.

The fact of the matter is I like the car. It has a good ride, decent power, excellent interior space and the upgraded stereo is solid but I have NEVER been back to the dealership so many times with a new car in my life.

Sure, the body panel will get fixed one way or another and while the problems I've had are relatively minor they have been numerous and my dealings with KIA have also not always been satisfactory. I expect more from a new car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sorry about the bad luck! I'd be pissed too honestly!!!

But if you think Toyota and their 1 million recalls are better...are they really?

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update!

KIA installed a different type of clip this second go-round. The panel isn't as flush as the one on the driver's side but at least it hasn't popped completely out... Yet.

If jerry-rigging parts on a brand new car is the future of the industry, KIA is leading the way! :(

·
Registered
301 Posts
The start up rattle & ticking noise at times isn't reassurring. But,the Soul IS uniquely awesome,NO one else truly has anything close.
My last Kia(1st 'foreign' car) an '08 Rondo,gave me very good service for 157,000 miles. Still smooth,quiet at trade in. I expect both of our Souls to be similar.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The start up rattle & ticking noise at times isn't reassurring. But,the Soul IS uniquely awesome,NO one else truly has anything close.
My last Kia(1st 'foreign' car) an '08 Rondo,gave me very good service for 157,000 miles. Still smooth,quiet at trade in. I expect both of our Souls to be similar.

What Does this have to do with "Roof Pillar Panel Popping Loose" ?

·
Registered
301 Posts
What Does this have to do with "Roof Pillar Panel Popping Loose" ?
In op's # 7 response he mentions the start-up noise. Collectively,he HAS had things occur that don't make for warm fuzzies.
I gave my 2 cents that if he can get past these mostly small problems,Kia's are normally good/unique vehicles. Almost no car causes no consternation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts