Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2x 2020 GT-Line Turbo
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this helps some of you considering roof cargo options.
Kia OEM Roof Rails
Thule Motion XT L
^slid back as far as the box would allow
Tyger Auto TG-RK1B942B (Amazon, 57.5" x 42" x 6")
^centered between rails

·
Registered
2x 2020 GT-Line Turbo
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To me, I think they're ugly, but definitely functional when needed.

·
Registered
2x 2020 GT-Line Turbo
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's definitely not as easy as a hitch for bikes. I've begun the process to modify the exhaust on my GT-Line Turbo to fit the OEM hitch.

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
66 Posts
Reviving an old thread here hoping to get a bite...

I've been looking at that same Tyger roof basket online and wondering what the drag is like. Have you lost much fuel economy with it?

I ask specifically about the Tyger basket because I think it'll be easier to mount on the oem crossbars since they are on fixed mounts.

·
Registered
2021 Soul EX. Sparkling Silver. Black/Gray interior.
45 Posts
Looks great! I really like the mono-color of the GT line, but ultimately chose an EX for the pushbutton start, auto climate control, etc. I'm debating on pulling my black panels and having them painted sparkling silver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reviving an old thread here hoping to get a bite...

I've been looking at that same Tyger roof basket online and wondering what the drag is like. Have you lost much fuel economy with it?

I ask specifically about the Tyger basket because I think it'll be easier to mount on the oem crossbars since they are on fixed mounts.
I can't imagine you would notice drag or worse gas mileage (unloaded). I would however take a guess and say that you may hear more wind noise in the cab.

·
Registered
2021 Soul Turbo
10 Posts
I’ve had various forms of surfboard racks, bike racks, full cargo racks, and can tell you that they DO make a difference in mileage and wind noise.
Even the slimmest cross bars alone can make a significant decrease in mileage...with nothing strapped to them.
I used to drive a Honda Civic from southern CA up to the Bay Area on a regular basis. Sometimes with a surfboard or a mtn bike, or both. I expected, and got horrible mileage.
What I didn’t expect was the drop in mileage without anything strapped on top. I found a consistent 25% drop with just the cross bars alone. I stopped leaving them on when not needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts