Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Road emergency kit foam container does not fit into cargo tray

I purchased a spare tire kit for my 2014 Soul. Put it in and now I have the road emergency kit needs to be put somewhere, I would think just put the whole foam container in the rear cargo tray (also made of foam) to keep everything together and well secured but the emergency kit foam container appears to be too tall to fit into the cargo tray and the lid would not close flush. Is this how it is or I missed something? Does not make sense Kia designs it this way. What do you guys do with the emergency kit? There are bosses at the corners of the container bottom, I could trim them down to get it fit but I figure I better ask first.

·
Registered
751 Posts
It is my understanding that the car comes with an inflation kit standard. If you opt to install an actual spare tire (with jack and wrench), the stock inflation kit goes away. You have either the spare OR the inflation kit....not both. Personally, I would find a way to "make it fit" somewhere, so I had both.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I ended up just taking the pieces-parts out of the foam caddy and putting them into the storage bin under the rear cover. Not perfect, but they don't seem to be moving around, either.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah, I pulled them out also - ended up padding the compartment I put it in with an old, very flat pillow. (I really don't like having tools clanking around, even if it's more of a random "thud".)

Works fine - and now I've got options! Something tears up the sidewall, I can pull out the spare - and if something just punches a small hole in the tread I can try the 'Fix-A-Flat'.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You may as well fill up the extra space in that compartment by adding some jumper cables, some basic tools, spare fuses, etc. And, JLL3Sonex, seeing that you're from GA reminded me that you may as well throw in some blankets, bottled water and a case or 2 of granola bars in case you're stuck in traffic for 18+ hours (I hope you weren't sitting in that mess).

·
Registered
72 Posts
My soul came with a compressor/sealant kit. The first aid kit is a OEM part after the fact I believe.

My spare is ordered, I am stilll gonna carry the compressor once it arrives. Its a good tool to have!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I need to order the spare tire kit for my 2012. I got my first flat in years yesterday, and the compressor/sealant was useless. Luckily I was able to call a friend and have them bring me one of my summer tires/wheels so I could put that on to get home. I actually told my wife I was going to throw the compressor into the woods because I was so aggravated with it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I need to order the spare tire kit for my 2012. I got my first flat in years yesterday, and the compressor/sealant was useless. Luckily I was able to call a friend and have them bring me one of my summer tires/wheels so I could put that on to get home. I actually told my wife I was going to throw the compressor into the woods because I was so aggravated with it.
This is the first I have heard where someone actually was in a situation where they had to rely on the kit. It leaves me cold but should light a fire in those of us that keep "meaning" to get a spare kit and keep putting it off. Your Kia dealer may have the kits in stock but they generally charge about 200 for it. Good luck but you could get fined by some looney for throwing trash in the woods.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
This is the first I have heard where someone actually was in a situation where they had to rely on the kit. It leaves me cold but should light a fire in those of us that keep "meaning" to get a spare kit and keep putting it off. Your Kia dealer may have the kits in stock but they generally charge about 200 for it. Good luck but you could get fined by some looney for throwing trash in the woods.
My daughter managed to flat 2 tires by driving thru a construction site on my old car. Both tires had a nail at a location that cannot repair. I just had all 4 tires replaced 2 weeks before! Luckily I have warranty and got both tires replaced free except installation. I got my 2014 Soul spare tire kit from my dealer $184 out of door, the list price is around $200 but I took an ebay Buy-It Now price and asked them to match. The eBay auction is another dealer in a nearby city but that dealer would not honor their own eBay price for local walk-in customer.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Could you have called the Kia Roadside Assistance? Isn't it standard for 5 years?

·
Registered
127 Posts
You may as well fill up the extra space in that compartment by adding some jumper cables, some basic tools, spare fuses, etc. And, JLL3Sonex, seeing that you're from GA reminded me that you may as well throw in some blankets, bottled water and a case or 2 of granola bars in case you're stuck in traffic for 18+ hours (I hope you weren't sitting in that mess).
I wasn't - but I bugged out of the office early. Made it home in about an hour, normally about a 25 minute drive. People here really don't know how to handle ice.

After I got home, and after my son got home (2.5 hours on a school bus to go 1.5 miles... he could have walked it faster!) we went out to check conditions, and get him some ice and snow time. Didn't go far, stayed in the subdivision, as there's a small, steep hill outside it that people were having problems on.

After a while we took an old bag of salt (about 50 lbs) and went and salted the hill. Don't know how much it helped, but we helped push 3 or four cars up it.

Which reminds me - I'd better get to Home Depot and restock on salt...

Yeah, I think I ought to get a few bottles of water and a couple of MREs in the car. Just in case I can't bug out fast enough next time it does this!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts