Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Sport (?) model, I think. It has all the bells and whistles including a sunroof. One thing I don't really like is the rubber band tires. I live in New England so I am needing snow tires or all-weather tires. Can I get rid of those rubber band tires and upgrade to a more rugged all-weather tire or will I have to buy new rims also? Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can I get rid of those rubber band tires and upgrade to a more rugged all-weather tire or will I have to buy new rims also? Thanks!
If you're talking about the stock tires (P225/45R18) on the Sport, you could probably get away with putting on thicker tires, but that will effect your speedometer and odometer readings; basically, they read how many times the wheel rotates, and having a thicker tire (with a larger radius, and thus larger circumference) will result in more ground being covered per wheel revolution. Your speed will read out as low, and the odometer will go up correspondingly slower, which means a little more warranty time, but a bigger chance of getting speeding tickets :)

Now, if you want to keep the speedometer reading correct, you'll have to get a smaller rim to put a thicker tire on. A little playing around with the tire calculator at miata.net shows me that if you put on a 16" rim, you could put a P255/55R15 tire on and your gauges would work the same, but you'd have an extra inch of sidewall, so a smoother ride and less chance of a blowout when you hit a pothole.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
^^ awesome info, corkdork. I'll be referring to this when it's time for new tires. I want some thicker ones, so this is helpful to me as well.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk. Pardon errors.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
If you put on a 16" rim, you could put a P255/55R15 tire on and your gauges would work the same, but you'd have an extra inch of sidewall, so a smoother ride and less chance of a blowout when you hit a pothole.
I want photos when you pull off the Houdini of 15 inch tires on 16 inch wheels. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
I want photos when you pull off the Houdini of 15 inch tires on 16 inch wheels. :D
D'oh! Yeah, my bad :) That'd be impressive! I swear, I put some combo of sizes into the calculator that came up with a 0% difference, but can't recreate it at this point. For 16's, keeping the width the same, 225/55R16 would give a slightly lower speedo readout than the actual speed, by about .9%; the readout would be 60 if you're going 59.5. If the OP wanted to go to 15's, 225/16R15 would probably work.

Still... weird. I know I had some combo of sizes that kept the width the same (or within a couple of mm), and kept the tire circumference the same. That's what I get for posting BC (before coffee).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts