Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy soul peeps!

I have to take my Soul to the dealership as my spoiler fell off, and when I do, I want to mention another issue ive been having. Before I do that and sound crazy wanted to run it by y'all first (looking crazy online is better than in person, apparently)and see if I just need to turn up my radio, or actually have them look into it.

Ive been trying to research this as much as possible but I have thus far found nothing similar to my issue. 2018 Soul base 6-speed, 3100 miles. Starts like a champ, runs at a cold start of around 1300 RPM, and after 30 or so seconds drops to 1000 before it comes to temp and falls to 650. I always let it run for those seconds just to give oil and whatnot a chance to circulate (I know I dont HAVE to, just something I've done with all my cars so its just habit now).

Once engine reaches operating temp revs stick to ~650. If I press clutch, they rise a bit to ~750ish. Never seen that before but assuming its a wee little engine and the slave cylinder runs on vacuum(?) It could just be compensating. Problem is if my AC is on (Its Florida and I am big, I like my Air con) and I press the clutch in at idle, revs rise but there is a subtle hum you can hear from the drivers side engine area. Not deafening, but definitely odd. Let off clutch in neutral and revs drop to the normal 500/600 mark and hum disappears. Press again and its right back. Shifting as a whole seems buttery. The occasional annoying reverse wanting to be a pain and make me inch forward so it will go in but thats it. As everything else works fine Ive not paid it much mind, but as Im heading up there anyway didnt know if i should mention it or not. Same with coasting we'll say downhill. coast at any speed in neutral and take foot off clutch, and revs hang at a little below 1000 until you come to a complete stop, where the drop to normal.

As a side note, due to the car sitting before I bought it, the rotors were pretty gnarly. to the point the whole car shook when applying brakes. They were more than happy to replace both front rotors (although to be honest I can almost bet they just turned them) but all has been peachy since. Perhaps a bubble in master/slave cylinder? Dont see why as to take rotors off you dont need to disconnect calipers.

Been driving a manual since I was 9, although this is my first car ive driven regularly that was made this century, and id like it to be around for a while, even though it seems to run better when you drive it hard than when its babied. Thats a first for me.

Thanks to all for the help!

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
Interesting issue.....I have an automatic so no help from me. Hope you can get an answer from KIA. Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey peeps! Couple things. Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have an update to this and am hoping to help someone that may come across the same issue. Aside from the humming, at all speeds there has been a high pitched shrill made by the AC that is almost painful on long rides. It is not dependant on vents/recirc/fan speed/car speed. Its only making noise if revs are above 1000 and AC is on. There are also times at an idle i would watch my ac temp (i have a thermometer in my vent) not blow cold, and then revs would drop, car would shudder for a second and the air would cool down again.

Took it in for a routine oil change and tire rotation and mentioned it off hand. Guy was able to find the noise and says its the compressor. Getting it installed saturday and will update then. Hope this helps

As a side note for newbies, check you scheduled maintenance contract before you sign! I paid a pretty penny when I got the car and it doesn't even include tire rotation! Paid over 600 bucks for the "plan" and still have to shell out 40 bucks every visit for a oil change and rotation. Even asked if im paying anyway can I get the synthetic. Tech said no its not worth the money ill just get regular.

Listen pal, my money my car, give me synthetic.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Synthetic is normally double the price at around $80 for Mobile one (from the Chevy dealers when I had my Spark). Ford was similar when I had my Fiesta, but their work was poor and I ended up fixing things myself so I effectively fired them. Add to that the fiasco of the dual clutch transmission problems and constantly stringing the customer along with a transmission that sucked, and I'll not go back. They also made it easy by orphaning all their cars (or was it infanticide?). Hopefully Kia treats me better than the last two companies.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have always used synthetic and dont really want to stop now. I already paid for the maintenance, least they can do is let me pay the difference for the full synth in my opinion.

Sorry to hear about your Spark. That was my wifes first new car and it was nothing but problems. SO glad to be rid of it. Most Chevys are these days. Ill hold onto my S10 till the end, but Chevy is not what it used to be

So far Kia has been exceptional. Corporate has reached out to me twice making since the purchase to make sure Im happy with it and how it was going. Even sent me a 50 dollar gift card because I had to take my Soul in in the first month due to warped rotors. My dealership I have no real complaints over, just feel that they could have handled things a bit better in some regards. Especially considering its an hour drive to get my oil changed.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
238 Posts
My spark was one of the ones burning excessive oil, glad to have it gone too since I know it was going to need a motor sooner than it should.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,414 Posts
Hey Dodah, my dealer said the same thing that synthetic oil isn't worth the extra money. I wonder why they say that when everything I've seen says its better than dino?

On the $50 gift card, that's computer generated on pretty much any communication issue with a new buyer. I emailed them just to ask if I could get cruise control added to my base manual, they replied with "sorry for the bump in the road on your new owner experience" and here's a $50 gift card.

I used it towards the $72 needed to buy the cruise control switch & harness :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well now I dont feel so special lol.

Also as an update, went and had the AC compressor replaced.

And

Slight change. I may just be imagining things, but the thermometer I keep in the vent doesnt go quite as cool as it used to. And the ear piercing shrill is only mostly gone. Much improved from before. I can cruise down the road and not wanna rip my ears off. But I did hear it a few times on the way home after sitting at a red light or something and I was accelerating to the speed limit. Ill give it a few days to cycle and settle before I flip out on the dealer.

Also for giggles I spoke with the dealer about cruise control. They want 350 for the redzone stearing wheel, 200 for the parts and 200 to install with no promise of it working. 350 for a spare tire. I laughed and laughed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts