Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a tempest with the reversing camera fitted. It gets filthy very quickly and is mounted quite low down so its difficult to judge to each side. Has anybody tried moving it higher up and inside the car so it views from inside the back window from a better vantage point...and the rear wiper can do the cleaning for it.

Thanks
Gary.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
That view from exactly where you WANT to put it....is nice.

I have an aftermarket (I think Audiovox) little cam hung underneath the third brakelight. It is connected to a Jensen DoubleDIN headunit (VM9022) and comes on when in reverse. The view through the back windscreen DOES work, but at night it doesn't really because of the tint. I just need some REAL bright backup LEDs in place of the tiny little ones I have back there. I do see a couple "lines" from looking through the defroster traces back there, but I have the camera aimed down so the rear wiper is just in view at the bottom of my 7" LCD (headunit).

It turns out this "looking down" position with the wiper as a reference point really works well.

I have not ever seen in person the OEM backup cam, but "electrically" I would assume it would be no big deal to move. I'd be concerned that the thing you leave behind would be easy to "patch" so it looked like you didn't pull something off the tailgate, and if the stock camera could be made "pretty" in some other housing and "aimable" underneath the third brakelight.

I'm going out on a limb to "guess" that the stock cam is likely just a 12V cam with a "live while in reverse" wire, a ground....and probably just an NTSC video back to the rearview mirror's LCD. The third brakelight is mounted to the tailgate as well, so moving or extending this harness wouldn't be a big deal.

The ever so popular "if it was me" though:

I'd investigate what the harness and OEM cam are doing, and see if just running some wires up to your third brakelight from that same harness and mounting an aftermarket cam would do it.....and LEAVE the original one there, just disconnected from behind. You most likely just have a couple power wires and a shielded cable for the video in that harness. I can't see how or WHY they would make it anymore complicated than that.

Of course the OTHER ever so popular "I could just be full of crap"...since I have NEVER actually seen this setup in person, and who knows WHAT sort of weird thing they may have done back there. I just wouldn't really want to "molest" the bodywork, and I usually try to do things in a "I can put it back" fashion if I just don't like it.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks very much for your thoughts and ideas.....when the latest batch of snow goes, i think its time to pull the rear door panel off and have a look.

Thanks
Gary.

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All
I get a Kia Soul 2018 base. I do not have backup camera.
Question is: Do Kia have ready cables for camera or I need to install new cables to the radio/screen.
Thanks and have wonderful day

1 - 5 of 5 Posts