Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been pondering trading in my 2010 Soul+ for a remaining 2013 or 2014 Soul. The condition is excellent, but even so, KBB lists under 10k...but every search I have done shows the selling rate to be about 12k to 13k....thoughts?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh...another thing....wtf is this nonsense that only Base models come with stick shift now? Thats a big reason why I'd like to trade mine in...been missing the fun of driving stick for far too long. It does look like the base models are closer to what a + was in 2010, is that a fair assumption to make?

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Oh...another thing....wtf is this nonsense that only Base models come with stick shift now? Thats a big reason why I'd like to trade mine in...been missing the fun of driving stick for far too long. It does look like the base models are closer to what a + was in 2010, is that a fair assumption to make?
The 2013 Plus came with a stick too but for 2014 only the base comes with a stick.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Been pondering trading in my 2010 Soul+ for a remaining 2013 or 2014 Soul. The condition is excellent, but even so, KBB lists under 10k...but every search I have done shows the selling rate to be about 12k to 13k....thoughts?
I think around $10K is more accurate. Remember, you're talking wholesale trade-in values, not what the dealer will turn around and sell it for.

"The worth of a thing is what it will bring". Regardless of what KBB or any other source says, at the end of the day it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
alterboy:

The dealer has to make some money off of the sale, too. There's no incentive for him to buy it from you for 13K and then try to sell it for 13K or hope he can make that much from auction. Also, they will still need to be priced for sale far enough below the new car prices to make them attractive to potential buyers.

I traded my 2010 Soul Sport in a few weeks ago when I got my 2014. It was just shy of 100,000 miles, but we managed to coax $7K out of the dealer which was only $128 and some change shy of paying it off. I was happy to get that much for it considering that KBB value was about $1500 less considering the mileage and wear. Sometimes it comes down to who the dealer is and what your relationship is with them. This was our 4th Soul purchase from them (5th Kia purchase), but only the first trade. They also know that we'll be back soon enough for another one.

As for the manual transmission... That has been a point of contention for several members on here lately. I would have gone for one in my 2014 if it were available and (bigger if) if my wife could actually drive a stick. They are only available on the base models with the smaller 1.6L engine. The automatic does come with the option where you can move the shifter to the left and then manually go thru the gears. I will agree with many that it isn't quite the same feeling.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I think 10k has to be about right, if not a bit high. I paid less than $14k for my 2013, so I can't figure a car that's 4 years old can be worth about the same amount. You could always try selling it yourself, but with a brand new car going for 15k I really don't see you getting 12 or 13k.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Book values are joke on some items forget it!!! NADA is farce made by and for Car Dealers gee it always is in there favor. Tear up those books see what 10k buy's out there hardly nothing. I see 1997 Jeep Xjs asking $6500 surely our cars are worth way way more. Actually some dealers paying thousands more even over retail for cars they think will sell.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got $10,500 for the trade, that was better than the KBB listing of $9600 (or something close to that). I am pretty happy with the deal, and the 2014+ is a much nicer car than the 2010+.

I also got to keep my spare tire instead of that goofy "fix-a-flat" kit. Like I told the sales guy, a flat tire that breaks the bead is not going to inflate with that, and then what?

Thanks for the input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts