Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Read Only
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks.
Got a stud which broke off today right into the lug nut.
I want to be armed with knowledge about how complicated the process might be to replace the stud. Since one shop said the time spent will depend on whether they can get to the stud area easily or need to remove such and such part(s) (Hub and/or whatever else?)
So can anyone fill me in on this?
I've a 2016 Kia Soul+

++++
Should I go ahead and have all five replaced for safety sake?
I've had suspicions there might've been a problem for some time due to handling and such.
There's also one other lug nut (on that same wheel) that's a different size due to some genius who fixed a flat having put back the wrong one somehow. Anyhow, that's been refusing to stay tight off and on...
'and in case the other studs have been under pressure all this time since.

Thanks in advance. :)

· Registered
2,366 Posts
If the rest are in good shape, just replace the broken one. It’s not too difficult to do. bwdz has a couple good tips in the thread below.

Reactions: RickM46

· Read Only
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks for the responses.
Yeah, had already contacted one shop I've been to in the past. Quoted about $170 for worst case scenario (labor time).
Knowing them they're likely to make the most of that labor time and charge me for as much time as possible. (past experience and all)

Kia Dealership quoted roughly the same $$ number as being what it would cost for a full hour's job.
With an additional $40 for any additional stud that might need to go. (I made sure to specifically ask about that last part).

Seeing Kia as the lesser of the two evils since this it's their thing. That appointment's just over 10 days so I've time to look some more options (if any) in the meantime...whilst restricting my driving till then. 😒😥😥😥😞

· Registered
2,437 Posts
Most wheel studs break because stupid tire monkeys gorilla the lug nuts on with torque guns. I wouldn't personally bother replacing all of them unless someone has boogered up the threads on the others, which also happens because they don't thread the lugs on by hand but instead use the gun to run them on there.

· Read Only
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most wheel studs break because stupid tire monkeys gorilla the lug nuts on with torque guns. I wouldn't personally bother replacing all of them unless someone has boogered up the threads on the others, which also happens because they don't thread the lugs on by hand but instead use the gun to run them on there.
Tons of construction in my area...and so,
Have had to deal with the local Flat Fix spot plenty of times over the past two years. For this one problem wheel I went over there so's they could replace a patched up tire with one I had in very decent shape. That's when the stud came off.

· Read Only
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the other hand, a new hub with all new bolts and new bearing is cheaper.
If you have some mechanical skills and tools, for DIY. Examples:
Amazon.com: Front Wheel Hub and Bearing Repair Kit with Retaining Ring and Axle Nut - Compatible with 2010-2015 Kia Soul : Automotive
Unfortunately beyond my pay grade. Most I'll do is replace a tire, windshield wiper, bulb and other relatively simple stuff.
Thanks though for the suggestion.

ALTHOUGH, I could consider finding the right hub kit and taking it into the shop I mentioned earlier. I'm sure Kia would only use their own parts. Still trying to find out how much the OEM costs. Probably a lot.
Their own parts dept is a pain to get through to.

...and thanks to others who've suggested the same thing.

· Read Only
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wondering:

Is replacing the hub assembly as simple as removing the old and plopping the new one in?
That is, in a case where they thought they'd have to remove the entire hub just to replace a single stud.

· Registered
2,366 Posts
The rear is bolt on (easy if it’s not covered in rust) and the front is press in, but it’s still a waste of money if all you need is one stud.

· Registered
2,366 Posts
He run with the wheel without a stud. I am sure those left in place are not in great shape right now.
Plus the whole rear hub is like $60. He was quoted $170 for one stud. What's the "waste" again?
If they’re quoting him $170 for a stud I can assume they’ll charge a lot more for the hub assembly. But it’s your money, do as you please with it.

· Read Only
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He run with the wheel without a stud. I am sure those left in place are not in great shape right now.
Plus the whole rear hub is like $60. He was quoted $170 for one stud. What's the "waste" again?
My thoughts exactly. Unless they've a method for determining the health of the remaining studs and can assure me that they're a-OK.

Also, I'm realizing something this morning. I mentioned a lug nut that continued to get loose after my repeated tightening. I'm thinking THIS broken one might've been that exact lug/stud. Meaning, this sucker might've been broken for well over a month and I've driven hundreds of miles with it that way. Not sure, but it's not too unlikely now that I think about it.

Could be the lug nut was holding on to the nibble of a stud that's still left from the break...and thus, loosening for obvious reasons. Possible?

With that much time having passed and those many miles? How likely is it that the rest of the studs are in top notch shape?

· Registered
2,714 Posts
A genuine Kia rear hub is around $200 plus the hour labor to install it. I would not put any after market Chinese junk hubs on your car. Let's put it this way, I recall just one rear hub I replaced on a Soul in the last couple of years, that is how rarely they fail and that car had 210k on it. Sorento ones are the only ones I have replaced a handful of times but it was mainly for failure of the ABS sensor and there was a recall on the plastic seal housing on those. Studs are cheap and should only be a half hour or so to replace them, most shops will just charge their minimum 1 hour labor.

· Read Only
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If they’re quoting him $170 for a stud I can assume they’ll charge a lot more for the hub assembly. But it’s your money, do as you please with it.
One shop clearly stated that it'd be for the entire removal of the hub; if it came to that.
Kia wasn't specific but I'd presume it's the same reason. Will of course get into the details if/when I call again about the cost of the hub and the ensuing work.

· Read Only
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Posting this merely as an update and shared learning experience for anyone else curious.

Called another Kia that's got the entire OEM hub on sale (about $160) and asked about replacing the single stud.
Quoted $150 labor plus parts. Asked and told it would require removing the entire hub.

I then switched the question around and suggested that replacing the entire hub should then cost the same thing in labor. Told he'd have to get back to me with the answer.

Common sense dictates that replacing the entire hub should actually take even less time considering, how now, one doesn't have to separately fiddle with any studs to be replaced...since one is having to remove the entire hub in both scenarios.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.