Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, my 2013 1.6L 6 speed auto has 58k miles on it. Was going to perform an oil change and figured I should probably change the transmission fluid too (a mix of stop/go, and high revving leadfooting to get up to speed on a highway)

The manual just asks for ATF SP-IV from a handful of South Korean/Kia OEM brands..

Q1: Did you purchase ATF fluid at the dealer?
Q2: If not, what brand of ATF fluid did you use?
Q3: Are all SP-IV fluids made to the same spec, like oil weights?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
After months of research, and reading many posts on the topic, I went to my Kia dealer and got the job done at a discounted price. I knew that they had/have the professional "Flush & Fill" machine and the proper AT fluid that either comes from Kia, or meets Kia specifications.

I had the job done by the dealer so that it's in my service record, just in case that I ever do have AT problems, which I have not had in 70k miles.

Happy Motoring,
FL Hamster :cool:

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,651 Posts
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I've read that unless you flush regularly, like every 30K, when you get up into the 60s+ you should just drain and refill because the flush can dislodge crud that you do not want dislodged. I'm sure there are many opinions on this. IMO a flush every 30K or so is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Totally unnecessary. Read your Users Handbook.

"Flush" means that all the crud you mentioned is FLUSHED out of the transmission, using a cleaning fluid, before it's refilled with fresh AT fluid.

AAMCO has used the "Flush & Fill" machine for years, as well as most reputable car dealerships.

Here is a link to just one of the Flush & Fill machines available.
https://www.britpart.com/parts/repa...c-transmission-flush-and-fill-machine/da6800/

Cheers Mates,

:cool:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I've read that unless you flush regularly, like every 30K, when you get up into the 60s+ you should just drain and refill because the flush can dislodge crud that you do not want dislodged. I'm sure there are many opinions on this. IMO a flush every 30K or so is probably a good idea.
Yeah, AFAIK more and more places aren't doing flushes because it can cause material to back up in certain areas. Now, I'm not sure how Kia's transmission are designed, I was going to play it safe myself and just do a drain and fill.

ChrisFix does a great explainer on what can happen with a flush when your fluid is old. Basically, your valve body can clog up.

I know the manual says it's service free, but I've seen plenty of videos of Kia transmission fluid drain and fills, and the magnetic drain bolt is just covered with tons of metallic particles. I'd at least want to remove those metal particles so any future ones could deposit on that magnetic bolt.

So back to the subject, are all ATF SP-IV fluids the same? Are the any specific weight ratings like for oil?

·
Registered
35 Posts
CrisFix should not even be allowed to touch a vehicle, its all utter nonsense.

Old timers had this rule and its a stupid one on not changing your tranny oil.
If something does get dislodged from your tranny that means your tranny was on its way out anyway and the oil had nothing to do with it or service error aka wrong tranny fluid.
Same goes with transmission filters those are service free and should only be changed if your tranny got rebuilt, if your filter is clogged your transmission is toast.

·
Registered
820 Posts
On my 2011, 2.0L engine, the transmission filter was user-replaceable, so I have changed it. Newer models of transmissions did away with that option.
I have drained the fluid several times (2 Qt at a time), and drove some miles between, just to get as much as possible renewed (the torque converter fluid doesn't get drained).
As for owner manual... that's just a suggestion for normal usage intervals. In city stop-and-go traffic, things are very different from the normal highway driving, and the manual acknowledges that too.

This is my Soul fluid, at 55k miles:
Transmission oil 55k miles.jpg

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,651 Posts
Totally unnecessary. Read your Users Handbook.

"Flush" means that all the crud you mentioned is FLUSHED out of the transmission, using a cleaning fluid, before it's refilled with fresh AT fluid.

AAMCO has used the "Flush & Fill" machine for years, as well as most reputable car dealerships.

Here is a link to just one of the Flush & Fill machines available.
https://www.britpart.com/parts/repa...c-transmission-flush-and-fill-machine/da6800/

Cheers Mates,

:cool:
When the trans is flushed, that doesn't necessarily mean EVERYTHING gets flushed. You know, like a toilet occasionally. Flush machines cannot necessarily get everything out. Presumably that's what happens most of the time, but there's always room for error.

On my 2011, 2.0L engine, the transmission filter was user-replaceable, so I have changed it. Newer models of transmissions did away with that option.
I have drained the fluid several times (2 Qt at a time), and drove some miles between, just to get as much as possible renewed (the torque converter fluid doesn't get drained).
As for owner manual... that's just a suggestion for normal usage intervals. In city stop-and-go traffic, things are very different from the normal highway driving, and the manual acknowledges that too.

This is my Soul fluid, at 55k miles:
View attachment 119775
All fluids need to be drained. Brake, power steering, engine oil, trans fluid. Do not do so at your own peril.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Kia dealer in my area charges $200 for flush/fill. I'm going to have mine done soon just for peace of mind since I'm the second owner.

·
Registered
820 Posts
All fluids need to be drained. Brake, power steering, engine oil, trans fluid. Do not do so at your own peril.
Agree. For power steering I apply a less invasive method - empty the reservoir with a turkey baster and a clear hose, then refill. Do it couple times. On my Ford, I do that by disconnecting the line going to the oil cooler, but from what I saw, on Soul, the cooling lines are very hard to reach.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts