Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased used 2014 kia soul sx , i am really enjoying drive in the city, but me and my hubby are having a trouble to share 1 key fob, anyone know the place where does the replacement service with charge? dealership told me to pay 500. A lot!!

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,010 Posts
you should have got two keys with the vehicle, and you should have made sure you got both when you bought the vehicle as replacements are very expensive as you have found out. I asked my sales guy what it would cost to replace one if I lost it and off the top of his head he said about $350 - $400 and it has to be programmed to sync with the car.
Not sure if this would work, but a possible cheap alternative might be to get a key made from the insert emergency key in the fob and use that to get into the vehicle and just leave the fob in the car all the time, but you would have to keep it enclosed in something that would not allow it to transmit otherwise you wouldn't be able to lock the vehicle.

To clarify, I had to back-track to find out which specific keyless entry was on the 2014 SX, so for clarification its the smart key, which is the same as on my 2016 SX.

Please expand on your location as to city and province that perhaps we might be able to more directly help you, as there are many Canadian's on this forum. Also fill out your Drives profile (settings/edit profile) with info on your vehicle so it shows up on the left each time you post - makes it so much easier for us when we can see these details.

I presume your 2014 Smart key looks like this:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
There is another key out there that fits your car. The dealer or previous owner may have it. cars traded in with only one key get lower trade in as the dealers allow for replacement of second key.
Give the dealer grief.

Jeff

·
Registered
68 Posts
you should have got two keys with the vehicle, and you should have made sure you got both when you bought the vehicle as replacements are very expensive as you have found out. I asked my sales guy what it would cost to replace one if I lost it and off the top of his head he said about $350 - $400 and it has to be programmed to sync with the car.
Not sure if this would work, but a possible cheap alternative might be to get a key made from the insert emergency key in the fob and use that to get into the vehicle and just leave the fob in the car all the time, but you would have to keep it enclosed in something that would not allow it to transmit otherwise you wouldn't be able to lock the vehicle.

To clarify, I had to back-track to find out which specific keyless entry was on the 2014 SX, so for clarification its the smart key, which is the same as on my 2016 SX.

Please expand on your location as to city and province that perhaps we might be able to more directly help you, as there are many Canadian's on this forum. Also fill out your Drives profile (settings/edit profile) with info on your vehicle so it shows up on the left each time you post - makes it so much easier for us when we can see these details.

I presume your 2014 Smart key looks like this:
Good advice, Thanks OP

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2011 Soul Plus from a dealership & it only came with 1 key fob. Do you know where & how much it will cost to get another 1 made up?
Thank you,
Robbin

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought a 2011 Soul Plus from a dealership & it only came with 1 key fob. Do you know where & how much it will cost to get another 1 made up?
Thank you,
Robbin
This is a late reply however; I was at a dealership today and asked about getting a new key made up for my 2011 Soul + and they quoted me something like $165 for key with fob that also works the automatic locking system and $20 for just a key with no remote. I bought the 20 dollar key as I was also getting quite a bit of other work done and didn't want to spring for it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Another alternative is to purchase a used one from ebay, purchase the corresponding blank insert from ebay as well (cuz the stealership wants about $30 for a blank insert and you can get it for like $10 online), then have a locksmith cut the blank key insert and only have the stealership program the remote. They will need your only working fob as well because once they program one, the other stops working until they program it as well. Down here the charge to program it is $69 and they need either your title or vehicle registration to prove that you are the owner; they won't even cut your blank key insert without it. This way you can be done at about $110-ish instead of $300-$350 at a minimum after all is said and done.

Down here in TX they want $225 for the fob, then $27 for the blank key insert (which includes cutting it IF you bring your title/registration), then $69 for programming it (make an appointment because only the Service Dept does that), so in the end with tax here it's a total of $347.48.

If you just want the key AND your car is NOT chipped, you can simply order a blank from ebay for like $10-$15 (for the official Hyundai/Kia blank) and have a locksmith cut it. Or the locksmith will carry a blank (unofficial blank but will work) for like $5 + cutting fee. You'd be done for under $10 that way. If your car is chipped though, then you have to go the fob route.

Also, if you get a used fob; make sure you know which one you're getting - there are two versions with the same part numbers that have DIFFERENT key shanks/blank inserts. One doesn't fit the other. I have a 2012 Soul + that has the older kind with the pin located at a different spot than my wife's 2013 Soul +. Key fobs look the same, have the same part numbers and FCC ID, but the key inserts are different.

Hope that helps, I've just had to go through this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are really not interested in spending any money, there is the option of just going to a key copy place and getting a standard car key or two copied from the one you have. You would have to go back to locking the door by putting the key in and turning it, and then unlocking the same way. No remote and that would mean the car alarm would no longer be armed. But it's an option. The key itself broke off on my wife's key fob and I just got a key copied. Now she has a key and the fob to remote lock and unlock. Little bit of a hassle having two items instead of one, but the key works fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts