Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a cool aluminium dead petal cover in the mail the other day for my 2016 soul. I'll have matching metal pedals for all three pedals. Dead, Gas and break.

My only issue i'm seeing is the rubber pedal that's glued to the felt is really tough to get off. i was able to peel the edges off but its some really tough glue. Any ideas on how I should approach getting it off? I would rather get it off then cover it because it looks cheesy.

Untitled-1.jpg Pic related. < not my car but close enough.

Here's what I'm planning on installing Stylish Hairline Aluminium Footrest Pedal Plate Nonslip for 2008 2016 Kia Soul | eBay

·
Registered
811 Posts
I believe that bad boy goes right over the original...I could be wrong. What do the directions say? Probably nothing as it is from Korea.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I believe that bad boy goes right over the original...I could be wrong. What do the directions say? Probably nothing as it is from Korea.
LOL, they specifically go out of their way to say "instructions are not included". I wonder if there is metal body underneath the carpet as they want you to screw this thing in. If so, I'd rather screw it to the original plastic pedal.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
Lift the carpet at that location and see what's underneath - must be a metal plate there. If it covers most or all of the existing rubber pad why remove it, its not that clear to see things in that area. You also might end up damaging the carpet trying to get it off and then you are in a worse situation.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Agree with cheferman65,the plate just goes over the rubber on the dead pedal.
No need to remove the rubber.
Have to drill holes for the incl screws(metal).

From experience,very few if any items that come from China or Korea come with
any instructions.There may be a drawing of sorts...
They just assume you know what to do.
On a related note,I sell product lines online. Especially on ebay. I incl
detailed install info.However,it is common for a buyer to contact me with a
question on what to do when the info they are asking about is on the install
sheet.
People just do not read anymore.
Could be just a sign of the times due to stuff like instagram etc.
Are we dumbing down?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Since our education system ranks one of the worst, it is safe to assume we're dumbing down.
Have to agree.
If you try to have a conversation with anyone 18 to mid 20's,keep it in as few words as
possible.Even then,you may be in trouble.
The brains are moving faster than the comprehension.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
We went from installing the dead pedal to the american education system XD. I love you guys XD. Based on this i'm too dumb to install it. XD... being 25.

and yes I messaged the seller who always responds with broken english and never answers my question.

I was worried about damage myself. I have a styropad pad I was gonna fit under the velt floor and some threaded washers. I just dont want that rubber pad sticking out the top :/

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
We went from installing the dead pedal to the american education system XD. I love you guys XD. Based on this i'm too dumb to install it. XD... being 25.

and yes I messaged the seller who always responds with broken english and never answers my question.

I was worried about damage myself. I have a styropad pad I was gonna fit under the velt floor and some threaded washers. I just dont want that rubber pad sticking out the top :/
You story has been shared by many.
I have a business that makes carbon fiber parts for a particular make of vehicle.
Its not the Soul(tried to market B-pillar,fuel door covers as well as a fantastic rear license
plate bumper backing with little interest--Soul owners just will not pay for real carbon fiber-- have e'm on my Soul).
I took interest in this venture after experiencing a similar situation about 5 years ago with a item
I ordered from a Taiwan vendor. No instructions,poor adhesive etc. I tried to contact. No answer.
As I always do online purchases with AMEX,I had no problem getting my money refunded.

I am sure there are reputable overseas vendors. I for one would never order from a Asian company.
U.K. ,for sure.
In addition,any shipments I make to Asian locales are a crap shoot. When something leaves the U.S.,you
have no tracking evidence it arrived.

Hey,I'd just trim around the rubber pad sides and install the plate over the rubber.
Don't know the clearance to drill holes.The metal cannot be that thick given the usual
quality of the Soul.I have a angled attached to my drill to reach tight spaces.
If you were nearby,we'd slap on that baby in 5 minutes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wish there was a way to completely remove the dead pedal in mine. Removing the dead pedal and cutting off half of the brake pedal were the best 2 mods I've ever done to car. When you have size 15 wide feet, you need all of the room on the floor you can get.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,410 Posts
Hey South Soul, that is so cool you did carbon fiber on your Soul.

What items did you do? Any chance of posting a few pics?

I've always thought the Gen2 radio fascia would look great in carbon fiber. I checked out the kits at Car ID but they don't form fit the rounded corners.

Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts

I've always thought the Gen2 radio fascia would look great in carbon fiber. I checked out the kits at Car ID but they don't form fit the rounded corners.

Thanks!

Make that 2 of us

·
Registered
150 Posts
From the looks of the pictures on the listing, I'm going to assume it lays on top, then screw it down into the existing rubber pad. The included screws (pictured) are plain-jane screws, not self-tapping sheet metal screws.

Edit: there appears to be sheet-metal screws and regular. Personally, I think I'd try the easy method first. If it doesn't hold, then start playing around with removal and the sheet-metal screws.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

Thanks!
Be glad to provide pics of my carbon fiber.
However,I cannot seem to get them in the right resolution
on this forum--show the detail.
If interested ,PM your email,I'll send some photos.
Ditto Uncle Dave.
Lets see,here is a list of what CF i have done on my Soul:
B-Pillar covers
fuel door cover
rear bumper license plate recess backing
front bumper fog light cowl lining
headlight shadows(area in front of headlights in carbon F).

All is solid carbon fiber.Not faux vinyl wrap.

Real carbon F is costly.Estimate B-pillars cost at $100 for set(4 pieces).
Fuel door $60.
Rear bumper recess? It is big. Do not have a estimate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts