Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I want to fully remove my rear door so I can paint it. (I will be painting murals on the entire car, but piece by piece as it's my only car during the winter months.)

I see the bolts that secure it, but there is also the rubber wiring harness (guessing for the lights) that would be attached. What is the best way to do this?
Any help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Mark where the hinges hit the sheet metal in every direction. I have even seen people drill a pilot hole through the hinges into the backing metal so the can easily be relined later. I don't think I would drill the hole (later rust) but you get the point. Anything that can help you align the panel later will save you headaches and Paint blemishes. Shifting that back hatch around in the attempt to line it back up could take some time. It will only take you moments to make sufficient marks. Good Luck!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Don't want to be ridiculous by making an obvious statement, but maybe leave the hatch on and find a nice garage to do the painting in??

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a big enough (or warm enough) garage to do that in, plus that would require masking off the entire car, if not for when I do the mural, for sure when it gets clear coated. 100 times easier once the piece is off the car.

Deeper shade of Soul, good tip about marking the hinges, I will do that. Still not sure the best way to disconnect the wiring.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If it was ME......I'd remove the inner plastic on that hatch and see if there is either a "master" plug......or just the plugs to each of the "devices" on the hatch. From memory (I'm at work).....DO know the wiper motor assembly has it's own plug, the electronic handle is another, likely the defrost is just plugged in and your third brakelight. Unplugging each one of these and just taking a couple pics of "before" is how I would likely go about it. Unplug 'em.....unfasten them from any little plastic anchor points....and bring all of it up through that grommet. The plastic trim removed will be sufficient to reattach them later.....and a good stiff "fish wire" to get them all back down to where they belong. I used a fish wire to put a backup camera right on the third brakelight assembly.

I have NOT looked yet, but maybe inside that left quarter trim plastic, there may be just a REAL big plug/harness for the whole tailgate. I bet there is something just inside the "top" of that rubber snake in the C-pillar that just allows you to unplug the whole tailgate. It's only a guess though.

Personally.....I'm not beyond just slicing right through a harness and just splicing it back later, but I'm WEIRD that way and don't think much of doing this sort of thing as long as I'm capable of it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips Aibopet, I will definitely refer back to this thread once I start the project, I still have to design what the heck i will pain ton it, have to narrow down many ideas, but I will post pictures once I start the paint work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys, can somebody tell me what I need to remove the panel on my hatch? There's a couple of screws down there from when we installed my spoiler. :) Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aibotpet, I have to remove the plastic rear hatch cover as my rear window was shattered and the window shop did not clean out all the broken glass. I have tried to remove the two screws but, it feels like something else is still holding it from the inside?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts