Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or am I just innocently unaware? I began saving my pennies for the day when I can have a remote start, keyless entry installed on my 2012 Soul. Probs is, it's m/t - can't install remote start on a Manual Transmission, can you?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I don't see why not. I mean, the mannies start up just like the autos, no? o_O

But I don't have a manual, so I could be wrong...

[Sent from my HTC Inspire via AutoGuide app using Swiftkey 3 Beta. Pardon errors.]

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
it might do as long as you don't park it in gear ;) but there must be a type of lockout if you do!

Personally I don't see any reason for a remote start, I just don't see it serving any purpose other than costing you to install and to operate. But to each his own!

·
Registered
564 Posts
No you can't do a r/start on a manual. There is a clutch pedal switch, that won't let the car start unless the clutch pedal is depressed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No you can't do a r/start on a manual. There is a clutch pedal switch, that won't let the car start unless the clutch pedal is depressed.
Actually you can. They only problem is most shops will not do it and you will probably have to do it yourself. I installed it on my old car and it wasn't too difficult.

You can install a magnetic switch on your shift linkage so that it will not start if you leave it in gear.

·
Registered
152 Posts
it might do as long as you don't park it in gear ;) but there must be a type of lockout if you do!

Personally I don't see any reason for a remote start, I just don't see it serving any purpose other than costing you to install and to operate. But to each his own!
Remote start allows you to get into a warm car in the winter and a cold car in the summer.

It also lets the engine warm up before speeding off which is a good thing, especially during the cold months when the oil is thick.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had a remote start on my old manual cavy. Works fine but you have to use the parking break as your only break. I only used it when home and on flat parking. Anything hilly and I used both the parking break and the transmission. Most shops will not install it so your on your own.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I don't see why not. I mean, the mannies start up just like the autos, no? o_O

But I don't have a manual, so I could be wrong...
As mentioned above, MT models have a switch that requires you to depress the clutch pedal in order to start the engine. Using a remote start on one requires defeating said switch, therefore allowing the starter to turn with the clutch pedal out. If the car's in gear, that means it could lurch/accelerate unattended. There are ways to reduce this risk, but that just adds more complexity.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
...you don't need a remote start in order to get into a warm car. Just walk outside to the garage and start the thing up, LOL. Then let it warm up. Who knows? You may even burn a few extra calories in the process...

And thanks for the informative explanation, fatabbot. I'm learning more and more about these complicated transmissions eveytime I get on here. Lol.

[Sent from my HTC Inspire via AutoGuide app using Swiftkey 3 Beta. Pardon errors.]

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
Remote start allows you to get into a warm car in the winter and a cold car in the summer.

It also lets the engine warm up before speeding off which is a good thing, especially during the cold months when the oil is thick.
I'm aware of that but this is why I don't agree with that, in cold weather the engine warms up far quicker when its driven not when its idling. It even tells you in the owners manual to not idle it very long even in very cold weather before driven away slowly. I have the heated seats which functions much quicker than the engine heater, so that keeps you warm while the engine temperature gets up to its proper operating temperature.
Also if its cold and the vehicle is covered in snow, just start it first and then clean off your car and then you are ready to go. Even with a remote start you still have to clear off the snow, so nothing gained. If you are in extreme cold areas the best way to go is with a block heater with a timer and set it to turn on 1-2 hours prior to your use (no thick engine oil). Again no remote required. I've been driving this way for decades and it works. Just do a test and compare on your coolant temperature gauge 5 minutes of idle time vs 5 minutes of drive time and see where the gauge needle is sitting.

As regards the a/c in summer heat, again when you first get in the vehicle open all the windows to dissipate the heat start driving to give the a/c time to get fully operational, again it doesn't take long and then close all the windows. It's much easier and more effective on the engine with a/c running when its not idling.

With a remote it can be quite a strain on the engine systems to have either full heat or full a/c to come on the instant you start it.

That's my take on it, I know many will not agree but I'm sure many will or have not thought of it till its pointed out - my 2 cents ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
On my old 2011 Soul 4U manual, it came with an autostart from the dealer. To actually use the auto start, when you parked the car, you had to put it in neutral and put on the parking break, then turn and remove your key from the ignition, and get out of the car without touching the break petal again. The car would continue running until you closed all the open doors (or time out after 30 seconds). Close the doors, it would lock all the doors then turn off. I could then press the auto-start button and it would start the car by itself. Unlock the door, get in, put in the key, turn to on, then put it in gear before touching the break petal or it would turn off.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
...you don't need a remote start in order to get into a warm car. Just walk outside to the garage and start the thing up, LOL. Then let it warm up. Who knows? You may even burn a few extra calories in the process...

And thanks for the informative explanation, fatabbot. I'm learning more and more about these complicated transmissions eveytime I get on here. Lol.

While I agree with you, I would like to point out that anyone with "HTX" as her location needs to try saying that after spending a winter up here in the 8th coldest city in America.

When it drops to -20F, it's nice to get into a car that is at least warmed up to 0F.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
You don't necessarily have to "bypass" the clutch pedal position switch. Some remote starters are designed with a parallel path for that specific purpose. It only closes the circuit when the remote starter is activated. If you try to start the car manually, you still need to depress the clutch.

Richard

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can put a remote starter on your car. Low tech method is to by pass the clutch saftey switch.
Either tape the switch button down or cut and splice the wires to keep the switch active. You could relocate the switch to the parking brake, would take some modification to mount it, and maybe some rewireing or at least adding some length to the wiresl. All depends on how handy you are. Yes, there are remote start kits for stick shifts, finding one is the trick.. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Or am I just innocently unaware? I began saving my pennies for the day when I can have a remote start, keyless entry installed on my 2012 Soul. Probs is, it's m/t - can't install remote start on a Manual Transmission, can you?

I think it is time for a 2015 Soul Exclaim!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've installed a remote car starter in a few M/T vehicles. The wiring was done such that the clutch switch remains in effect if using the key to start, but the remote starter was wired into the starter wire after the clutch switch, bypassing it for when remote start is called on. The units I've installed were Viper brand. In order to start the car remotely you have to plan ahead: When the car is parked you have to leave it running and pull up the hand brake (which is wired to an input on the remote starter). Then you have to push the remote start button (or a button wired to another input mounted in the car). The remote start system now provides power to the the ignition and accessories and unlocks the doors. The key is removed from the ignition and you get out of the car. Once all the doors are closed you press the lock button and the doors lock and the remote starter turns the ignition and accessories off. They system is then "armed" and will remote start when the button on the remote it pressed. However, all the while that it is "armed" it monitors the doors. If a door is opened it shuts off the remote start feature. Essential it knows that you have got out of the car while it is in neutral and running and then turned it off and locked the doors while you are out of the car. If a door is opened then it assumes that it is a possibility that the car could be put in gear.

I am guilty of letting cars run on the -30C days to try and get some warmth for the ride. With the Soul (still new to me) I haven't found the need because the heated seats warm up much quicker than the engine. I usually walk from the house to the car, start it, unplug the block heater, walk back to the house and grab my work bag and then drive off. Maybe two minutes of idling before I'm off.

Hope this is useful.

Cheers,
K-Bert

1 - 18 of 18 Posts