Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul Plus, 2.0L
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago, I installed these roof rack crossbars on my 2019 Soul.

They made a lot of wind noise starting at 40-45MPH. The wind noise continued until at least 75MPH.

Yesterday, I discovered this website:

Option #6 at the end of the article is the least expensive. I chose to try it. I bought a 48 inch bungee cord from Home Depot and wrapped it around the front crossbar. The 48 inch bungee cord cost approximately three dollars.

I have tested it up to 70MPH, and the wind noise is gone!!!

Cloud Sky Water Asphalt Automotive exterior

Cloud Sky Building Hood Window

·
Registered
22 Posts

They made a lot of wind noise starting at 40-45MPH. The wind noise continued until at least 75MPH.

Option #6 at the end of the article is the least expensive. I chose to try it. I bought a 48 inch bungee cord from Home Depot and wrapped it around the front crossbar. The 48 inch bungee cord cost approximately three dollars.

View attachment 139810

View attachment 139811
THANK YOU for this ... I LOVE this inexpensive way to bring the noise down... I'm'a try it!!!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I use Yakima racks on the Xterra to carry the 16 foot canvas-covered, cedar-ribbed canoe and sometimes other items.

I ALWAYS remove them when not in use. Ten minutes tops.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I ordered the OMAC crossbars on eBay with an ETA of July 12 after being told by Amazon that Erkul crossbars I wanted would take 3+ weeks. Now I understand from that thread mentioned in my previous post that OMAC is the U.S. reseller of Erkul crossbars (made in Turkey.)
I have a set of those bars brand new in box. If you're interested , check shipping price. My zip is 24523.

·
Registered
22 Posts

View attachment 139810

View attachment 139811
GREAT IDEA and IT WORKS!!! The Magical Silencing Bungees ...doesn't look so good, and I DO NOT CARE LMAO <3 ...plus you can see in my second photo I removed my pax seat for camping if anybody has any cool plans for sleeping inside this little beast LOL xo

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
whistle? i have KIA BRAND CROSSBARS and they sound like a tornado coming at 65 - I should speed up LOL
Was cruising about 110 on the tollway yesterday coming home from the beach with the roof box, there was definitely some noise, but it didn't bother me with music going and kids' complaining. I'm usually in fairly noisy cars though, so solution is always louder music or louder pipes coming off the engine. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Was cruising about 110 on the tollway yesterday coming home from the beach with the roof box, there was definitely some noise, but it didn't bother me with music going and kids' complaining. I'm usually in fairly noisy cars though, so solution is always louder music or louder pipes coming off the engine. :D
Yeah, if you have a bunch of kids I guess it doesn't matter what kind of noise reduction is installed:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
22 Posts
dude. that's fast. do you have a turbo? I hear they're nice... how do you keep her on the ground? I would be afraid my car would leave the ground.... seriously - I had a 280z that would do that (front would lift off the ground) w/out an air-dam at 100+. What a great car <3

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I was going that fast on a 4 lane cause some dip wad in a Mercedes kept messing with me. Pass me several times and slow down. I waited for the right opportunity with traffic and hammered it, left him stuck behind a left lane camper. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
524 Posts
dude. that's fast. do you have a turbo? I hear they're nice... how do you keep her on the ground? I would be afraid my car would leave the ground.... seriously - I had a 280z that would do that (front would lift off the ground) w/out an air-dam at 100+. What a great car <3
Loooots of weight. :D Roof box was overloaded as always, and the car was completely packed with gear.

The tollway going around San Antonio / Austin has posted limits of 85mph in the southern half, so most people are cruising upwards of 100 anyway. I didn't have any issues with aerodynamic lift, even with big bumps, and even with the rear end sitting a bit lower than the front from the weight loading. By the way, I'm about 3/4 of an inch higher off the ground than normal, so even the larger gap to the ground doesn't bother me in terms of aero lift.

Power-wise, my Soul is a base model with the manual transmission, so maybe the 6 speed gearing helps keep the engine in the power band longer, plus the intake helps kill some of the power drop past 4k rpm too- but without the intake the car had no problem getting to 110- it just took a while. I've never had it on a dyno, but my guess is that I'd be lucky to have the factory 130hp, maybe 132-133hp at the crank with the intake. My gearing is 5% taller because of tires, so that doesn't help either- although it does contribute to higher speeds with the engine in the meat of the power band in 6th gear.

Other notes on aero lift- my S2000 would start to pick up the front end above 120. Dropping an inch and closing the air gap another inch-ish with the OEM front lip reduced under-car airflow enough to make the car feel more stable at high speed. I need to do some basic aero on the BRZ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts