Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Soul+ 2.0l with 19,999 miles original owner
on cold start or at least what the temp gauge shows as a cold start (Soul temp gauges don't move till the coolant is past a minimum of 125'F) the engine does is slight high idle for a cold start of 2k then takes off up to redline where I turn the key off.
Information about leading up to this event which is now the second time this has happened. I started the car in the morning for the first time since it was parked the night before about 16hours to cool down the cold start temp for the first start up was 37'F it reved to 2k held for a few seconds and dropped to 1,200 (my cars normal cold start) it was then driven around for about an hour and then parked back at my house for approximately 3-4 hours where I then returned to go to the store. I put the key in and turn to power,the gauge shows the coolant is cold I start the car and it goes to 2k sits for a second then hits redline where I then shut off the engine.

what would possibly cause this? the first time it did this it stopped at 4,500 before it hit redline and i gave it some gas to see if the TPS was being weird and it had no response to my input then hit redline and I shut the engine off.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Lots of things can cause this. Some things to look at:

TPS (probably the most likely if you have no codes)
Coolant Temp Sensor
Idle Air Control (Check for pending P0505 / P0507)
Vacuum leak
Severely clogged engine air filter
MAP / IAT Sensor

I'd put a scanner on there and look for pending codes with the engine on but not started. There may be clues in there.

Richard

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
One thing you can try that probably won't work, but is easy to try, is disconnect the negative battery terminal, clean all the electrical connectors with electrical contact cleaner one at a time, check all the vacuum hoses, reconnect the battery, and let the ECM boot up.

Also check the throttle butterfly for freedom of movement throughout its range and check the throttle body for carbon deposits..

Richard

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check the butterfly and vacuum lines, the battery has been disconnected between these 2 events and I run the car daily with a scanner displaying above the radio there have been no codes.

TPS sensor is the most likely but bad/dead at 20k? I know Kias are cheap but that takes the cake and it is possible I bumped the IAT while messing about in there

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
You know Kia's are cheap?

I thought they regularly are at the top of reliability & quality surveys. Even topping some luxury brands.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know Kia's are cheap?

I thought they regularly are at the top of reliability & quality surveys. Even topping some luxury brands.
They do top quality surveys and reliability and I love my soul and for $17,000 it is 10X better than my moms $32,000 ford in almost every way. But at the same time I hear from groups and see reports of the 2nd gen souls dropping like flies. If poor maintenance were the cause of the number of engine failures and electrical problems then thats understandable but if your engines are hitting 75,000 miles and grenades and this is a common issue then there is a quality problem.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
They do top quality surveys and reliability and I love my soul and for $17,000 it is 10X better than my moms $32,000 ford in almost every way. But at the same time I hear from groups and see reports of the 2nd gen souls dropping like flies. If poor maintenance were the cause of the number of engine failures and electrical problems then thats understandable but if your engines are hitting 75,000 miles and grenades and this is a common issue then there is a quality problem.
While there is definitely an industry wide issue with GDI technology (see Subaru, Honda, Toyota, all German brand forums), I think the relatively small percentage of Souls that are "grenades" may be more an effect of social media exacerbating the issue (dropping like flies?)

GDI is not just a Kia design & from what I've researched predominately a problem of early adopters, mostly by German vehicles.

Considering there are some 750,000 (corrected amt, thx monster) Gen2s on the road there doesn't seem to be a heap of exploding Kias. I'm not saying the design is perfect by any means, but social media can blow things out of sensible proportion.

·
Registered
318 Posts
disconnect the negative battery terminal, clean all the electrical connectors with electrical contact cleaner one at a time, check all the vacuum hoses, reconnect the battery, and let the ECM boot up
TPS sensor is the most likely but bad/dead at 20k?
The disconnect - reconnect is not for the battery, it's to hard boot the computer. Like when tech support says take the battery out of your phone for 60 seconds.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
While there is definitely an industry wide issue with GDI technology (see Subaru, Honda, Toyota, all German brand forums), I think the relatively small percentage of Souls that are "grenades" may be more an effect of social media exacerbating the issue (dropping like flies?)

GDI is not just a Kia design & from what I've researched predominately a problem of early adopters, mostly by German vehicles.

Considering there are some 750,000 (corrected amt, thx monster) Gen2s on the road there doesn't seem to be a heap of exploding Kias. I'm not saying the design is perfect by any means, but social media can blow things out of sensible proportion.
The other problem is that drivers in general nowadays are not as fascinated by the finer points of auto maintenance as they were a generation or two ago; and judging by the hatred of oil threads in this forum, Soul drivers, as a group, seem even less so.

Hey, that's fine. Not everyone is turned on by tribology. But a disdain for discussing, researching, and learning about motor oil doesn't bode well for an engine type in which the choice of oil really, truly does make a difference.

The overall reliability of modern cars and their decreased maintenance requirements also have a down side in that young drivers in particular seem to think that cars require no maintenance at all. Asking them to spray some solvent into the throttle body two or three times a year sounds to them like you're asking them to rebuild the engine.

Guys my age who changed engines in our driveways, rebuilt carburetors on the kitchen table, and got stranded cars started again with nothing but a matchbook striker to clean the points, tend to get disgusted with the general ignorance of things mechanical that afflicts many younger drivers. But that's not entirely fair. Knowing something about cars beyond how to turn the ignition key was a necessity when I was young. Nowadays, not so much. If today's drivers drove cars that needed constant attention just to keep running, I bet they'd become knowledgeable pretty quickly.

Richard

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
The other problem is that drivers in general nowadays are not as fascinated by the finer points of auto maintenance as they were a generation or two ago; and judging by the hatred of oil threads in this forum, Soul drivers, as a group, seem even less so.

Hey, that's fine. Not everyone is turned on by tribology. But a disdain for discussing, researching, and learning about motor oil doesn't bode well for an engine type in which the choice of oil really, truly does make a difference.

The overall reliability of modern cars and their decreased maintenance requirements also have a down side in that young drivers in particular seem to think that cars require no maintenance at all. Asking them to spray some solvent into the throttle body two or three times a year sounds to them like you're asking them to rebuild the engine.

Guys my age who changed engines in our driveways, rebuilt carburetors on the kitchen table, and got stranded cars started again with nothing but a matchbook striker to clean the points, tend to get disgusted with the general ignorance of things mechanical that afflicts many younger drivers. But that's not entirely fair. Knowing something about cars beyond how to turn the ignition key was a necessity when I was young. Nowadays, not so much. If today's drivers drove cars that needed constant attention just to keep running, I bet they'd become knowledgeable pretty quickly.

Richard
You're absolutely right Richard. And I think that the "simplicity" of the electric car engine is also very attractive to that group. Or better yet, renting or sharing cars that they never have to maintain. I get it, that's a choice, good for them.

It's a different world. I witnessed my friends 20 year old son trying to use a flat head on a phillips screw last week. I told him to get a phillips, and he had never heard of one. He said he and his friends never use tools, saws, drills etc (they can play the hell out of an X-Box game however). Watching his brother use a hammer was kind of entertaining. Dang, we knew about basics like that as young children.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Have you seen a bunch of young people rebuilding all sort of junk on YouTube? I have. Do you enjoy messing around with oil and gasoline? I don't.

If anything, this offers some comfort that the less educated will have jobs in the 21st century, and in America, there are plenty of those.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts