Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I live in Chicago and the red light camera and speed camera warnings are really helpful. They seem to have just stopped working all of a sudden. I have been to settings-navigation-alerts, then I pick a setting, usually at 400 feet, but it will just not work, Is this a software issue or is there another place to set the camera alert? Thanks! 2021 Kia soul EX

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,744 Posts
Hi everyone, I live in Chicago and the red light camera and speed camera warnings are really helpful. They seem to have just stopped working all of a sudden. I have been to settings-navigation-alerts, then I pick a setting, usually at 400 feet, but it will just not work, Is this a software issue or is there another place to set the camera alert? Thanks! 2021 Kia soul EX
Dang, if you can't get it to work sounds like a warranty issue.
Navigation

• Haha
Reactions: AtlantaSoulMan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Navigation
Navigation
So just to clarify, di I need to maintain a subscription to maintain the option of alerts or is it a basic function of the vehicle. As a side note the transmission on this 2021 failed and was replaced. Do I need to update any software?

I was running errands today and no matter what set of buttons pushed it wont work, Ive tried 400 feet, 1/2 mile, and based on speed and nothing?

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
350 Posts
Honestly (I don't have any of those warnings) I at least make sure I stop at all red lights. Why would you not?

Speed cameras? Have not (yet) seen one in this part of the world.

Yes, it is frustrating when something that should work, doesn't. But now you know how your Dad drove for many years. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly (I don't have any of those warnings) I at least make sure I stop at all red lights. Why would you not?

Yes, it is frustrating when something that should work, doesn't. But now you know how your Dad drove for many years. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really wish it was that simple to obey the red lights. On my ride to work there are six red light cameras at extremely busy four lane intersections and that's not counting the speed cameras. What some of these municipalities do with their cameras is like being stuck up at gunpoint. Here lies the problem, you are moving along with traffic and are approaching a busy intersection when the light changes just as you are entering, the guy behind you on his cell phone doesn't expect you to stop, at his point you either take a $100 ticket or get slammed in the rear by someone not paying attention. It's a helpful feature and at $100 per ticket it can really add up no matter how great a driver you are!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Is there no way to predict as you approach when the light might go yellow then red?
I think time on yellow is semi standardized around here. Better, a lot of the walk and don't walk signs in town show a countdown and most of them go yellow when that hits zero. So if paying attention, you won't be surprised. :)

Despite popular opinion, yellow does not mean "punch it!" :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there no way to predict as you approach when the light might go yellow then red?
I think time on yellow is semi standardized around here. Better, a lot of the walk and don't walk signs in town show a countdown and most of them go yellow when that hits zero. So if paying attention, you won't be surprised. :)

Despite popular opinion, yellow does not mean "punch it!" :ROFLMAO:
You can pay attention all you want but if the guy behind you isn't a decent driver you will get rear ended, driving should not be so Frigginn stressful, and not all of the cameras are for going thru intersection, many are right turn lane cameras where the sign prohibiting it is on the other side of the intersection, or blocked by a truck, it's a gauntlet just to get to work! The alerts give you the added reaction time to not get skewered just for easy revenue .

·
Registered
8,744 Posts
You can pay attention all you want but if the guy behind you isn't a decent driver you will get rear ended, driving should not be so Frigginn stressful, and not all of the cameras are for going thru intersection, many are right turn lane cameras where the sign prohibiting it is on the other side of the intersection, or blocked by a truck, it's a gauntlet just to get to work! The alerts give you the added reaction time to not get skewered just for easy revenue .
Yeah, I've been behind someone who I followed into a major intersection and then they stopped right in the middle, looked around (while the light turned yellow & then red), then decided to make an illegal left across 3 lanes of oncoming traffic. So all directions of traffic had to wait for this ding a ling to clear.

A motorcycle cop witnessed the whole thing and pulled her over. Luckily I wasn't mailed a ticket, probably because as I entered the intersection, the light was green switching to yellow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I've been behind someone who I followed into a major intersection and then they stopped right in the middle, looked around (while the light turned yellow & then red), then decided to make an illegal left across 3 lanes of oncoming traffic. So all directions of traffic had to wait for this ding a ling to clear.

A motorcycle cop witnessed the whole thing and pulled her over. Luckily I wasn't mailed a ticket, probably because as I entered the intersection, the light was green switching to yellow.
So driving in congestion is tough and the alerts help. Anyway can anyone talk about the software side, do I need to upload a firmware update via the USB cord or should this just work?

·
Registered
8,744 Posts
So driving in congestion is tough and the alerts help. Anyway can anyone talk about the software side, do I need to upload a firmware update via the USB cord or should this just work?
Other Kia forums seem to talk more about how to turn the systems off, quite often to little success.

I found a corporate response in a Telluride forum from Kia telling them to call Kia Consumer Assistance Center at (800) 333-4542 for answers.

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but as the soon to be ex Prime Minister of Britain says "them's the breaks."

·
Registered
385 Posts

Chicago has added Speed Cameras around school zones and if 6 mph over the limit it's a $35 citation. Also, some of the 'burbs have Red Light Cameras. Without the nav warning on the screen it's possible, when traveling through a 'burb that your not familiar with, you may overlook the sign. Just stop on orange and you'll be OK. However, when people are turning right, they tend not to stop before/at the white line and that triggers a ticket. It's ugly. Nav is very nice in helping avoid this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts