Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a package of this all purpose red vinyl auto trim -

RED Moulding Trim Strip Grille Grill Interior Exterior - eBay (item 250778691536 end time Mar-25-11 15:54:12 PDT)

I was thinking about triming my cupholder (it will match my shift boot with red piping). The trim has 3M tape on the back, but there are two problems with the tape:
1. it isn't strong enough to hold that thin piece of trim firmly in place
2. the tape has a little thickness to it, so when the trim is installed sideways like this you can see a thin layer of gray tape which does not look good.

The 3M tape can be pulled off the red vinyl trim fairly easily. Does anyone know of an adhesive that I could use to fasten the red vinyl trim directly to the plastic cupholder (without the 3M tape)? The adhesive would have to set quickly and be workable in very tiny amounts without making a huge mess. I have a package of Gorilla Glue "Quick Drying" formula, but even that needs to be clamped for an hour or more.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
you could try gum arabic..... if you smudge it it will rub or roll of the ecxess when dry with a finger. See the local hobby shop for advice. I wouldnt use anything like polystyrene cement, that will destroy the finish of the plastic.

·
Registered
509 Posts
What about hot glue -- or maybe silicone adhesive? Not sure how long you'd have to clamp either, but maybe you could use something like a blown-up balloon or something to hold it in place. You probably could use ACC ("super glue"), too, but that probably won't come off the interior so nicely if you ever have to remove it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You can buy some really good two-part epoxies now. I've bought the ones that come in a double barrelled syringe. You clip the tip as large as you want and push the plunger. It mixes itself and usually dries quickly.:D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I'll take a look a Home Depot in the near future to see what will be best. Looking online, I am seeing some Locktite brand super glues that talk about setting very fast and having a small applicator.

I'm thinking I'll try using blue painter's masking tape to mask off everything except the strip of plastic that the red trim will stick to. That way, if the glue oozes, it will be onto to the tape. I'll also line the cupholders with paper towels or something to fully protect against any drips.

I am thinking if I want it fastened really well, I'll have to accept the fact that I'll be using something that will permanently mark the console (should the red trim ever be removed). Though I think the trim will look really cool and sporty if I can install it well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts