Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kia USA just issued another recall at the beginning of December 2020 for the Kia Soul 2014-2015. Notices will go out to US owners starting 27 January 2021. It concerns the possibility of engine fire due to fuel and oil leaks as well as a knock sensor ECU software update.

See: Car recall: Kia recalling nearly 295,000 vehicles due to engine fire risk, including select Sorento, Soul SUVs

(The Kia Soul is NOT an SUV but I digress.)

Of relevance to this thread, pasted:

Last week, the NHTSA announced that Kia and Hyundai must pay $137 million in fines and for safety improvements because they moved too slowly to recall more than 1 million vehicles with engines that can fail. The fines resolve a three-year government probe into the companies' behavior involving recalls of multiple models dating to the 2011 model year.

Carrman and HankC posted on this recall with relevant links to documentation here => Another recall?

My questions to everybody:

Are Kia Souls sold in Canada better manufactured and subject to higher standards of quality control than Kia Souls sold in the USA?

Since we bought this 2015 Soul in August 2015, we have had two recalls by Kia Canada. Pasted:

Recall Results :
Recall Results: No outstanding recalls open for the VIN # …
Completed Recalls
Below are the recalls that have been completed successfully on your vehicle and are no longer open.

In the USA, there have been 5 recalls for the 2015 Kia Soul. See: NHTSA

Are Canadian safety standards lower?

Or are Canadian consumers and government regulatory agencies simply less demanding than American ones?

We Canadians love to smugly criticize and throw dirt at our American neighbours. It is one popular cultural activity that unites us all. But maybe, just maybe, you know... on the off-chance, there are some things that the Americanos actually do better than we do.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From Part 573 Safety Recall Report 20V-750:

An engine compartment fire can occur while driving for many reasons and depending on the severity of the fire, the identification of the cause can be untraceable. While a low percentage of the subject vehicles have experienced an engine compartment fire, a cause resulting from a manufacturing or design defect has not been identified. However, Kia is conducting this recall as a preventative measure to mitigate any unreasonable fire risk due to potential fuel leaking, oil leaking and/or engine damage. [emphasis added]

I read this and wondered if the NHTSA is catering to car owners who do a poor job of maintaining their vehicles.

·
Registered
545 Posts
This fresh recall comes up for 2014 and 2015 Souls on the Transport Canada site. Sounds familiar 😕. Just added on Dec 4th and updated on the 11th. No results for my car on Kia Canada recall page though.🤔

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks zerogee. I see the Transport Canada website lists essentially the same recalls listed by the NHTSA in the USA.

Perhaps our VIN # on the Kia Canada website only lists the recalls applicable to our specific 2015 Soul?

I should call the dealership and ask.

·
Registered
545 Posts
We might have to wait until Kia Canada's official announcement??

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,695 Posts
The Soul recall is for 2.0 ltr engines only.

Vehicles listed in the NHTSA Safety Recall Report are the 2011–2013 Optima Hybrid, 2012 Sportage, 2012–2013 Sorento, and 2012–2013 Forte and Forte Koup with the 2.4-liter Theta II engine; and the 2014–2015 Forte, Forte Koup, and Soul with the 2.0-liter Nu engine.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

We received a "Product Improvement Campaign" letter from Kia Canada about 6 days ago. 2014 to 2016 Souls. Plain-speak folks at the dealership called it a "recall".

This was for the Knock Sensor Detection System that required the engine control unit (ECU) software to be upgraded. The notice arrived four months after an identical recall campaign started in the USA. Mind you the probability of connected rod bearing wear causing a problem seemed pretty low.

Had it done yesterday morning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update:

We received a "Product Improvement Campaign" letter from Kia Canada about 6 days ago. 2014 to 2016 Souls. Plain-speak folks at the dealership called it a "recall".

This was for the Knock Sensor Detection System that required the engine control unit (ECU) software to be upgraded. The notice arrived four months after an identical recall campaign started in the USA. Mind you the probability of connected rod bearing wear causing a problem seemed pretty low.

Had it done yesterday morning.
I was googling if anybody experienced problems after the software update and came across here. I received the same letter and went to the dealership. After the software update the engine warning light came up and they can't figure out what's going on. According to the dealership they are trying several software updates and of course my car is the first one showing these symptoms. 2016 EX with 75 tkm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This fresh recall comes up for 2014 and 2015 Souls on the Transport Canada site. Sounds familiar 😕. Just added on Dec 4th and updated on the 11th. No results for my car on Kia Canada recall page though.🤔

websites show that recall notices are going out January 27 2021. I had the lastest software recall update done. Today my engine light started blinking all of a sudden and I lost power...peddle to the medal and my km/hr was falling from 100km -80km/hr...pulled over and shut it down right away....had it towed to the dealership....have had more recalls on this car and on the 3rd gas cap which is weird

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was googling if anybody experienced problems after the software update and came across here. I received the same letter and went to the dealership. After the software update the engine warning light came up and they can't figure out what's going on. According to the dealership they are trying several software updates and of course my car is the first one showing these symptoms. 2016 EX with 75 tkm.
had my update done on Januray 7 2021. Today my engine light started to blink and I was losing power...had the peddle to the floor and my km/hr kept dropping...I shut it down, and had it towed I have a 2014 Soul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Meanwhile I got my Soul back and everything works fine since then. It took KIA almost a week to solve the problem. I was explained that the dealer had to let KIA update the car remotely. Asking a bit further the dealer told me my car was not the only one showing that symptom. I can only assume but I think KIA had a bug in their software.
When your engine light goes on the car goes into a limp mode. You can still keep driving to the next KIA garage. I don't think you need a tow truck.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for reporting back harley. Interesting how the story evolved on the frequency of this problem. :cool: All is well that ends well. Kia is looking after you.

Just to clarify one point so other do not needlessly panic. In this instance, the engine light goes on the car goes into limp mode. The engine can throw a code, show the code in the dash and NOT go into limp mode. Naturally the code should be read, interpreted and acted upon relatively soon. But the engine control unit throwing a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) should not be cause for panic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for reporting back harley. Interesting how the story evolved on the frequency of this problem. :cool: All is well that ends well. Kia is looking after you.

Just to clarify one point so other do not needlessly panic. In this instance, the engine light goes on the car goes into limp mode. The engine can throw a code, show the code in the dash and NOT go into limp mode. Naturally the code should be read, interpreted and acted upon relatively soon. But the engine control unit throwing a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) should not be cause for panic.
Posting this in all relevant threads:

First off, I will say that I fully understand and can deal with engine/recall issues. Sometimes mistakes happen and manufacturing tolerances are not met. Life happens...but be transparent about it and own your mistakes...something KIA/Hyundai has shown an unwillingness to demonstrate.

KIA Canada has been blatantly lying and hiding this recall....and I can prove it. Discussing a class action suit as we speak.

Blew the engine in our '16 last year and were told that there were "no issues that they were aware of." Funny that Transport Canada opened the investigation into this issue 6 months prior to my engine blowing.

Lie. Deny. Lie. Deny. This seems to be their sole business model.

I have already spoken with Transport Canada multiple times and they are fully aware and monitoring. New legislation passed last year actually finally gives them some power to hold manufacturers accountable. We'll see if they get anywhere.

Are you aware that Hyundai/KIA USA was fined $137M by the NHTSA for covering up this exact issue in the US? That isn't the class action suit (it is $760M!!!...and they are being criminally investigated)....that is the fine for lying to owners.

There will eventually be a class action suit here in Canada that will cover all owners of this engine type addressing the depreciation and repairs that are required.

KIA Canada is a complete joke and after pretending they would do the right thing have gone completely silent. I am awaiting further conversation with Transport Canada and the legal team pursuing this matter.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@SoulFail Sorry that your experience has been so awful. To be fully forthcoming, your personal experience is one of several considerations I had in mind when I started this thread a couple of months ago. So yeah, thanks for sharing.

Some unsolicited advice:

1. Communicate with the company in writing. Emails are OK. Registered letters are better.

2. Do not be in a rush to launch a Class Action suit. Lawyers always benefit. Those who initiate the suit, not so much. Unless you value your time and effort at close $0.00/hour......

3. The political, marketing angle can be cost effective. You have the right to publicly attack Kia Canada's reputation and brand as long as you avoid libel and slander. Elite newspaper, relevant government departments/ministries, Members of Parliament, Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLAs), regional Kia dealerships, regional competitor dealerships, automobile media, social fora such as this forum, Facebook, etc., (similar to what you are currently doing), etc. Some should be individually addressed; others can be copied on communication.

4. Do not lose your cool. Plan for a long campaign. Maintain a calm, civil attitude throughout. That makes it easier for a mid- to high-level employee of Kia Canada to step in to preemptively solve your issue.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply. Isn't unsolicited advice the purpose of internet chat forums?!...lol. ;)

As to your comments:

1. I do have emails, service records, etc from them and have a log with dates that I have been keeping of our interactions.

2. I've spoken to multiple lawyers already, including a couple that handle class action suits and some that don't. It appears there is a reluctance to take on these types of suits on a contingency basis...and frankly I don't want to be shelling out large legal fees up front to recover what will be a relatively small suit when they lose. The irony is that all of the lawyers feel that I have a legitimate case. Both Transport Canada (who I know holds little leverage over the manufacturers) and the KIA Canada customer service advisor that I had been dealing with previously both stated...off the record...that they believed I would be getting my engine repair money back at a minimum. Keep in mind the class action suit will award all affected KIA Soul owners, as every single one of our vehicles have at the minimum suffered a depreciated value loss as this issue is in the public domain.

3. This is the key point, and the one I have just initiated here. The facts are in my favor, along with the other owners that they have deceived, so I have no need to libel or slander. I have started to compile avenues to bring this back into the public eye through as many platforms as possible. It is truly disgusting that these manufacturers have so little accountability to the Canadian consumer (this doesn't apply to KIA/Hyundai but all vehicle manufacturers). Reading this and other forums to see what the experience of others has been is also part of my fact finding mission.

4. I've already spent the money on the repairs, so I'm not concerned about the emotions of it. Yes, I am appalled and frustrated by the complete lack of ethics and professionalism from a company as large as KIA/Hyundai, but they aren't worth my energy to direct anger towards them. As mentioned in the above point, exposing their dishonesty to Canadian consumers will have a far greater impact than they realize. Even if only a few people pick up on the stories and choose not to buy a KIA, it is monetarily more punitive than my individual case.

To be clear again, after initial conversations and emails, the cowards at KIA Canada have gone completely radio silent. They had acknowledged they knew about the issue and were going to do something about it (both in phone conversations) but now refuse to even answer my emails, hence pursuing the legal and media paths now.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out at the end of the day as it encompasses a massive number of vehicles. It came with a $1B price tag in the US...what will it be up here?!

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,140 Posts
Posting this in all relevant threads:

First off, I will say that I fully understand and can deal with engine/recall issues. Sometimes mistakes happen and manufacturing tolerances are not met. Life happens...but be transparent about it and own your mistakes...something KIA/Hyundai has shown an unwillingness to demonstrate.

KIA Canada has been blatantly lying and hiding this recall....and I can prove it. Discussing a class action suit as we speak.

Blew the engine in our '16 last year and were told that there were "no issues that they were aware of." Funny that Transport Canada opened the investigation into this issue 6 months prior to my engine blowing.

Lie. Deny. Lie. Deny. This seems to be their sole business model.

I have already spoken with Transport Canada multiple times and they are fully aware and monitoring. New legislation passed last year actually finally gives them some power to hold manufacturers accountable. We'll see if they get anywhere.

Are you aware that Hyundai/KIA USA was fined $137M by the NHTSA for covering up this exact issue in the US? That isn't the class action suit (it is $760M!!!...and they are being criminally investigated)....that is the fine for lying to owners.

There will eventually be a class action suit here in Canada that will cover all owners of this engine type addressing the depreciation and repairs that are required.

KIA Canada is a complete joke and after pretending they would do the right thing have gone completely silent. I am awaiting further conversation with Transport Canada and the legal team pursuing this matter.

Posting on multiple threads is not allowed and they will be deleted without warning.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The update on the current recall can be found here:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi There! today I have the exact same problem I have a 2016 EX, I havent been using the car that much just errands around town from time to time. about 5-10 mins drive most of the time, but today i had to travel for about an hr and all of a sudden my soul went on limp mode on my way home! Ive got about 71000kms on mine. what have you found out so far? how did you resolve your issue? TIA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi There! today I have the exact same problem I have a 2016 EX, I havent been using the car that much just errands around town from time to time. about 5-10 mins drive most of the time, but today i had to travel for about an hr and all of a sudden my soul went on limp mode on my way home! Ive got about 71000kms on mine. what have you found out so far? how did you resolve your issue? TIA
If you read through the posts again you can find my answer how it was fixed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts