Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this is my last fed gov employee furlough day (the sequester BS). But since I had today off because of it, I went to my local Kia dealership to have the brake light switch recall work done.

I already knew I needed new tires and the timing belt needs to be replaced........I have 78,550 miles on the SoulTrooper now. That's a lot of miles for the tires/timing belt that came with the car in 2010.

Dealer quote :

Timing/drive belts replacement : $505.

Nexxen 205/55R16 tires : $122. ea.

Are these quotes good?

I didn't flip out about the timing belt because I thought it would be almost twice that price.
I don't know ANYTHING about Nexxen tires.......any thoughts on that? Before today, I was thinking Michelin's.

·
Registered
479 Posts
the stock nexens blow compared to the michelnin primacys that I got. I wouldn't waste your money on nexens. When I got my timing belt changed on my spectra, it was just about the same price, but it was the whole 60xxx mile service, oil change, tire rotation, timing belt and pulley and I believe the ac belt also and it was right around 600

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
They usually do the water pump when they are in there for the t-belt.
I see you have the 2010 with the 2.0 motor almost identical to the one in my wife's 04 elantra.
I did that belt, water pump and all accessory belts at about 120k.
In California the belts suggested replacement is 100k not 60k!
Different belt....Of course not, different state laws and batter coverage for the state.
The point being...that belt should go 100k with No problem!
Of course...You do what ever makes you feel warm & fuzzy but I believe you still have a lot of life in those belts and water pump!
On another note...that AZ sun bakes all that it shines upon so again...do whet ever makes you feel fuzzy (your already warm) inside!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't know anything about nexxens tires, I use Michelins but are you saying you got 78,500 miles out of the stock nexx's?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^^^^Actually, they're the stock Hankooks.....and they're on borrowed time (I can actually see the steel threads in two of the tires. Those things are loud and unforgiving on the torn up streets of Tucson...I think I'll just may pay a little extra and get the Michelins.

Sradiator : Given what you just said, I'd probably feel just fine going to 100K miles, but I have the 100K warranty. So if something were to happen to the engine.....even if it's not related to the timing belt.....I think I'd have problems with Kia covering it. I've already taken it almost 20K more miles than they recommended anyway. I'm probably going to change it early next month.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,086 Posts
Reactions: pennapolis

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
^^^^^^Actually, they're the stock Hankooks.....and they're on borrowed time (I can actually see the steel threads in two of the tires. Those things are loud and unforgiving on the torn up streets of Tucson...I think I'll just may pay a little extra and get the Michelins.

Sradiator : Given what you just said, I'd probably feel just fine going to 100K miles, but I have the 100K warranty. So if something were to happen to the engine.....even if it's not related to the timing belt.....I think I'd have problems with Kia covering it. I've already taken it almost 20K more miles than they recommended anyway. I'm probably going to change it early next month.

I was hoping the water pump or some gasket would go bad, necessitating them to go in there and I'd just have them do the T-belt while they were there, even if I had to pay for the belt itself.
Trouble was...That elantra was so damned good, after 100k I couldn't even find a gasket that leaked.
I have the 2012 with the Nu motor but was quite happy to have the older 2.0 with the 4 speed auto given how rock-solid reliable our elantra(s) were. We had 3 b.t.w!
Only reason we wound up with the 2012 was that I has chased a 2011 in the orange for almost a year and no dealer anywhere in our area had one.
When the moss appeared for 2012, I knew it was the color I/we wanted

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Just a ?

Does the 2010 have a fabric belt or a steel chain?

:cool:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Interference = when the timing belt breaks, the pistons can hit the valves, making a real MESS of things.

I had that happen to me on one used car I bought, years ago.

That's why I will never buy any car with a "Belt" again.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
Interference motor means if you lose the timing belt then the pistons come in contact with valves and you have a boat anchor.
All KIA's using timing chains, no belts. It stopped being a belt in the 2012 2.0L model which was the Nu series engine and continues with the 2014 model.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Interference = when the timing belt breaks, the pistons can hit the valves, making a real MESS of things.

I had that happen to me on one used car I bought, years ago.

That's why I will never buy any car with a "Belt" again.

Having a belt vs. a chain does not an "interference" motor make!
We have also heard somewhere in a previous post where a timing chain stretched to it's limit and the tensioner could no longer keep tension and KaBoom, all within 100k miles I believe?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts