Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
17,500 miles and no undue oil consumption (I'm down about 1/2 quart at 3000 mile oil change intervals. Should I expect it to start burning it though? I check the dipstick at each gas tank fill up.
Keep it full.
Even overfilling a half-quart is better than a half quart low.
These engines are very sensitive creatures. Also, 5w30 is better than 5w20 with these.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/07/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Since having the software update one month ago I do notice the car warms up a lot faster, maybe it's my imagination but it seems so.
Same here, no noticeable difference since SA463 was applied.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/07/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 · (Edited)
Keep it full.
Even overfilling a half-quart is better than a half quart low.
These engines are very sensitive creatures. Also, 5w30 is better than 5w20 with these.
I had my first oil change a few days ago; 05-26-2021. It seems to be slightly overfilled. Since I'm anal retentive I'll probably syphon off a few ounces to get the level down to the full mark on my dip stick. :unsure:

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
79 Posts
I had my first oil change a few days ago; 05-26-2021. It seems to be slightly overfilled. Since I'm anal retentive I'll probably syphon off a few ounces to get the level down to the full mark on my dip stick. :unsure:

View attachment 137142
It's tough for these guys that change oil on the same cars every single day to get the amount of oil correct.....🤓

The dumbest guy in the shop gets the oil changes....remember that...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 · (Edited)
It's tough for these guys that change oil on the same cars every single day to get the amount of oil correct.....🤓

The dumbest guy in the shop gets the oil changes....remember that...
Unfortunately I know this, but to keep the 100K warranty intact you need proof, as in receipts from the Kia dealer or a reputable source!

I would rather do the work myself but then you have to argue for warranty repair when needed. Yea I know keep receipts for what you purchased to do the work....................................bla bla bla!

Getting to the end of that 10 year warranty at the Kia dealership is going to be a challenge for me!

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
79 Posts
Unfortunately I know this, but to keep the 100K warranty intact you need proof, as in receipts from the Kia dealer or a reputable source!

I would rather do the work myself but then you have to argue for warranty repair when needed. Yea I know keep receipts for what you purchased to do the work....................................bla bla bla!

Getting to the end of that 10 year warranty at the Kia dealership is going to be a challenge for me!
Unfortunately, they have done all of mine as well.....Little over filled the last time. I have one more free....after that I will do myself. This is the only car I have ever owned that I ever took to the dealer for an oil change....I usually forgo the free ones for peace of mind. However, I have not read a lot of positive things about KIA and warranty ......

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Unfortunately, they have done all of mine as well.....Little over filled the last time. I have one more free....after that I will do myself. This is the only car I have ever owned that I ever took to the dealer for an oil change....I usually forgo the free ones for peace of mind. However, I have not read a lot of positive things about KIA and warranty ......
I understand.

My last NEW vehicle was the 2002 Ford F-250 4x4. It's oil capacity was just a bit over 5 quarts. EVERYWHERE I took it they always dumped 6 quarts in it, Ford Dealer or Oil change places, even though its specification was just a bit over 5 quarts. It has survived but as an engineer I do respect specifications; charts/tables.

Its troubling that persons 'in the know' dis-required the specifications on what they sell/ represent.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 · (Edited)
FYI

Looks like your able to check the VIN on your 2020-2021 Soul for the SC209 now. I've previously checked both of our VINs, a few days ago, but now one of ours is showing up with the recall.

Our family has two of the '21 Souls. My daughters car is showing up as included in the recall. Now we wait for the notification letter so we can advance to the next step.

You can check your VIN here:

or here:

Click on Search by VIN button

Reactions: Marv

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
174 Posts
FYI

Looks like your able to check the VIN on your 2020-2021 Soul for the SC209 now. I've previously checked both of our VINs, a few days ago, but now one of ours is showing up with the recall.

Our family has two of the '21 Souls. My daughters car is showing up as included in the recall. Now we wait for the notification letter so we can advance to the next step.

or here:

FYI

or here:

I love Kia.....

The NHTSA link says "An error occurred with your request. Kia Motors Corporation does not recognize your VIN" when the VIN was copied-n-pasted from my KIA account info.

The Kia link says I have a Soul Plus, with no recalls, when in fact I have an LX Manual....

<sigh...> :oops:

·
Registered
321 Posts
i expected that mine would be part of the recall since it was manufactured prior to the cut-off date in October 2020. It was and is on the list. The question is, is mine one of the one per cent of the 125,000 Souls fitted with the bad piston rings. that’s only 1,250 vehicles or so. You really can’t blame Kia as the rings were manufactured by the Korean subsidiary of an American company (Federal Mogul). From the documents at the NHTSA, it appears that Kia notified NHTSA as soon as they discovered the problem.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
i expected that mine would be part of the recall since it was manufactured prior to the cut-off date in October 2020. It was and is on the list. The question is, is mine one of the one per cent of the 125,000 Souls fitted with the bad piston rings. that’s only 1,250 vehicles or so. You really can’t blame Kia as the rings were manufactured by the Korean subsidiary of an American company (Federal Mogul). From the documents at the NHTSA, it appears that Kia notified NHTSA as soon as they discovered the problem.
I thought mine would be too, but its not. Its complete build date is 10-07-2020. I'll keep checking because I'm just that way!o_O

·
Registered
321 Posts
I thought mine would be too, but its not. Its complete build date is 10-07-2020. I'll keep checking because I'm just that way!o_O
You may possibly be right after the cut-off. Perhaps the criteria was redefined after this was issued.

Reactions: Mjc312
101 - 120 of 123 Posts