Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's exactly right about the recall. It's not by vin and can't be searched by vin. All vehicles made in the noted time period are part of the recall. Apparently they cannot determine exact vehicles that have the defective rings.

About your oil consumption.....I just went through it. Keep your own records like taking pictures of dipstick at certain intervals. When making an appointment for service, I do it online, put notes about it and amounts added so when they print out your service ticket it's documented.
When you did the consumption test with your dealer, did you have to bring the car back every 1K for them to look at the oil level? I'm HOPING they can look at the engine and evaluate it for me. NOT happy at the prospect of having to bring it in every 1K for 3 months when I know something is wrong with the car. I just got the oil changed 6 weeks/ 1,100 miles ago, it's down 1 Quart and the oil looks REALLY dark /dirty/burnt. The engine is making the ticking sound especially loud when the engine cold but still noticeable after it warms up. I'm now worried that it will seize when I'm 100 miles from home. I think thats a low possibility but not something I should have to worry about with a new car for the next 3 months while checking the oil level weekly.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
When you did the consumption test with your dealer, did you have to bring the car back every 1K for them to look at the oil level? I'm HOPING they can look at the engine and evaluate it for me. NOT happy at the prospect of having to bring it in every 1K for 3 months when I know something is wrong with the car. I just got the oil changed 6 weeks/ 1,100 miles ago, it's down 1 Quart and the oil looks REALLY dark /dirty/burnt. The engine is making the ticking sound especially loud when the engine cold but still noticeable after it warms up. I'm now worried that it will seize when I'm 100 miles from home. I think thats a low possibility but not something I should have to worry about with a new car for the next 3 months while checking the oil level weekly.
It really depends on what answer the dealer gives you. If you get the "that's normal", immediately state that is not factual and not an acceptable answer. Honestly, you're describing the exact symptoms of my vehicle and your oil consumption is probably more than mine. Dirty, sooty black oil that you'd expect from a 100k miles on an engine.
Already have a date to start with your own facts. In 1100 you had to add X amount of oil, was it a quart, if so, starting point. They may top you off once and check again in 1000 miles. Take a picture of dipstick when they top off, then again at the 1k mark yourself.

You may have to get a little pushy to have them check into the recall as it's not active, insist on it. They can scope your cylinders. I was trying to get an answer as to how they determined my condition but got nothing out of them. Didn't really care after as I was dumping it of on them anyway.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
A tip on how to get them off the "it's normal" bullshit. All you have to do is describe to them that if you do not check your oil and ADD multiple quarts of oil between your 5k oil changes, you will have an empty crankcase at next change interval. Have them explain that as a normal condition. They cannot and will move on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A tip on how to get them off the "it's normal" bullshit. All you have to do is describe to them that if you do not check your oil and ADD multiple quarts of oil between your 5k oil changes, you will have an empty crankcase at next change interval. Have them explain that as a normal condition. They cannot and will move on.
Thanks for the advice! Did your engine make the ticking sound? You traded it in for a 2021? Does the 2021 make the ticking sound once the engine is warmed up?

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
Thanks for the advice! Did your engine make the ticking sound? You traded it in for a 2021? Does the 2021 make the ticking sound once the engine is warmed up?
Yes, they worked with me to get out of the 2020 into 2021 vehicle. So, good on them. Don't know if it was the dealer or Kia, but as far as I know they didn't get kia involved and I never did either.
My 2020 sound was valve tapping. It's much louder than the lighter "ticking/sewing machine" sound of my 2021. I listened to a LOT of engines. Someone posted a video with audio of the louder, more concerning tapping.
I also posted pictures of my dipstick if you wish to compare. Ok, sorry....i'm giggling every time I write the lines about dipsticks.....just seems to come out funny! :p
I'm no mechanic and I didn't stay at a holiday in last night...yeh, I used that line already, but there's a good chance you're "infected". Sorry......but one thing to know, I ran my car hard the last couple hundred miles, as I usually do, so they can handle it. It never broke down and left me stranded, although I was "concerned". But you need to get it checked out asap.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,617 Posts
If oil dipstick is dark:
Clean oil has the color of light honey. Dark colored, cloudy or gritty textured oil is a sign the lubricating components of the oil have been exposed to heat for too long and needs to be changed. Adding oil instead of an oil change at this point could cause engine issues. This used oil needs to be removed to allow new oil to lubricate your engine’s parts.

Can I Add Oil Instead of Changing it? | Global Automotive

·
Registered
242 Posts
Dirty oil is also good oil doing it's job, I've sent in samples to Blackstone that were coal black and they tested as good oil with a robust additive package.

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
64 Posts
Seems the oil consumption "myth" has been going on for more than gen 3. Been searching for a few answers about oil in general and keep coming up with consumption threads.
I was Wondering what type of oil comes in new souls as my oil is very orange in color. Also curious if the professionals/technicians that post here use full synthetic oil in their own personal vehicles.

What I find it amazing that you hear the same answer when someone asks dealer about consumption, the answer is "that's normal" no matter how much oil your consuming!!?? There is nothing normal about 1/2 quart or more consumption. No one should accept this answer.
Seems the oil consumption "myth" has been going on for more than gen 3. Been searching for a few answers about oil in general and keep coming up with consumption threads.
I was Wondering what type of oil comes in new souls as my oil is very orange in color. Also curious if the professionals/technicians that post here use full synthetic oil in their own personal vehicles.

What I find it amazing that you hear the same answer when someone asks dealer about consumption, the answer is "that's normal" no matter how much oil your consuming!!?? There is nothing normal about 1/2 quart or more consumption. No one should accept this answer.
Absolutely...... "Normal" is the go to word for Service

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with IVT transaxle in Mars Orange
28 Posts
17,500 miles and no undue oil consumption (I'm down about 1/2 quart at 3000 mile oil change intervals. Should I expect it to start burning it though? I check the dipstick at each gas tank fill up.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX Manual Transmission
52 Posts
Hi all, stupid question, but how do I check production date on mine? Is it the date written on the left side below the "KIA" logo of the "black sticker" on my door jamb ? Thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
17,500 miles and no undue oil consumption (I'm down about 1/2 quart at 3000 mile oil change intervals. Should I expect it to start burning it though? I check the dipstick at each gas tank fill up.
Mine at 6573 miles doesn't use any oil but you have better than double what I have.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi all, stupid question, but how do I check production date on mine? Is it the date written on the left side below the "KIA" logo of the "black sticker" on my door jamb ? Thanks
Yes, that’s the date but it only gives the month/year.

Reactions: soul_2021

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
21 Posts
Mine is at 13,800 miles and no noticeable change to oil level (2000 miles past my second oil change). My oil changes were done at 3,500 and 11,800. Build date is Sept. 2019. Everything great so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So i got my new 2020 LX in March and it has a production date of 8/19. But according to the NHTSA its not part of the recall???

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
So i got my new 2020 LX in March and it has a production date of 8/19. But according to the NHTSA its not part of the recall???
I don't think anything is really known just yet.

From What I've read, Kia is supposed to send out letters to owners on or after 6/11/2021. Out of curiosity I sent Kia a question with my VIN for my 2021 X-Line Built:10/20 and they stated my vehicle was not included in the SC209 recall. But I'll wait for the letter and see what the dealer says before I dismiss it. Otherwise the original owner has a 10 year 100K mile warranty on the powertrain.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX Manual Transmission
52 Posts
I don't think anything is really known just yet.

From What I've read, Kia is supposed to send out letters to owners on or after 6/11/2021. Out of curiosity I sent Kia a question with my VIN for my 2021 X-Line Built:10/20 and they stated my vehicle was not included in the SC209 recall. But I'll wait for the letter and see what the dealer says before I dismiss it. Otherwise the original owner has a 10 year 100K mile warranty on the powertrain.
Well F the warranty. What if your vehicle stalls in the middle of the highway and you get killed in an accident?

·
Registered
303 Posts
From what I’ve read on the NHTSA site, you will probably not be on the recall. If you are, you will (should) get a letter.

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT-Line, 2010 Soul Sport
55 Posts
If you read the recall notice (NHTSA) it's all 2L NU Mpi Souls made from November 20, 2019 through October 15, 2020. Just because a car is part of the recall does not mean a car will have the specified problem.

My 2020 GT (non Turbo) made in 1/2020 started consuming oil at around 6K miles, I need to add about 1 QT every 1,100 miles. I'm bringing back to the dealer next week for an oil consumption test and will ask about the recall.
The manufactured date for the recall is November 24, 2018 to October 15, 2020, not 2019, as the OP suggested for the Soul. The Seltos' mfg date is 11-20-19 to 10-15-20. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V259-6845.PDF

81 - 100 of 101 Posts