Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Been having an oil consumption issue with my 2020 Base Soul.
It's been in the shop since the April 4th, after so many oil consumption test and a PVC valve change.
Really feel this is the issue with my car.
No updates from dealership at this point.
II might have the same issue. I have 10K on my 2020 Soul GT non turbo. The oil level keeps going down, no signs of a leak or white smoke. The engine has a quiet ticking sound that I did not notice when the car was new. Did your dealer give you a loaner?

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
II might have the same issue. I have 10K on my 2020 Soul GT non turbo. The oil level keeps going down, no signs of a leak or white smoke. The engine has a quiet ticking sound that I did not notice when the car was new. Did your dealer give you a loaner?
If your oil level is not going down to alarming levels, you should be ok for now. Unfortunately all owners have to wait until June 11th I think to get the recall notice and have the update to their vehicles for the "listening" software.

If we could get an honest answer of what "NORMAL" oil consumption is everyone could breath a little easier.
2-4 ozs per 1000 miles seems to be ok, anything above that is not. This condition will show your oil level down about 1/2 quart between 5k oil changes. I don't think that is great but some say normal for new cars.
If a condition exists where your crankcase will be empty in 8-10k miles....well that is not normal or acceptable. That's how much oil my vehicle was using.

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
64 Posts
If your oil level is not going down to alarming levels, you should be ok for now. Unfortunately all owners have to wait until June 11th I think to get the recall notice and have the update to their vehicles for the "listening" software.

If we could get an honest answer of what "NORMAL" oil consumption is everyone could breath a little easier.
2-4 ozs per 1000 miles seems to be ok, anything above that is not. This condition will show your oil level down about 1/2 quart between 5k oil changes. I don't think that is great but some say normal for new cars.
If a condition exists where your crankcase will be empty in 8-10k miles....well that is not normal or acceptable. That's how much oil my vehicle was using.
Most people who buy cars do not check their own oil...they just don't. Could be quite a few explosions by June 11th...

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,617 Posts
UPDATE: 2021 in my parking spot. Closed it in record time, less than an hour and 1/2!
Ok, so kia sales stepped up and i'm happy. Think it was best for everyone.
After reading about the 100k plus engines being replaced on recall....well that is some warranty.
So...back to loving my soul.....for now.

I'll post some observations about engine noises as I have listened to MANY engines since and the new
one. Put peoples minds at ease on what noises are normal or not.
The older models seems to be the quietest....no noise, hardly can be heard. The new engines have the "sewing machine" sound in very faint way. My 2020 engine noises were quite clearly valve tapping as it was MUCH louder and got louder as vehicle warmed.
New 2021 has the faint sewing machine tick if you will.
Congrats Carmen. You navigated a sticky situation and got a fantastic outcome. Thanks for sharing the steps with us. Really happy for you!

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
Most people who buy cars do not check their own oil...they just don't. Could be quite a few explosions by June 11th...
At least most people who buy new cars. In the OLE' days.....we all carried oil around! Especially if you owned a ford! :p

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
Congrats Carmen. You navigated a sticky situation and got a fantastic outcome. Thanks for sharing the steps with us. Really happy for you!
Thanks! I owe it to you to make me rethink honestly. I was being a bit too pigheaded but I came to my senses. Today i'm very relived and as I go over the numbers....very happy!

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
At least most people who buy new cars. In the OLE' days.....we all carried oil around! Especially if you owned a ford! :p
I remember that! My dad even gave us kids a case (12 PK) of motor oil wrapped up under the Christmas tree to keep in the trunk. My sister would get a 5 gallon can of Motor Honey to put in her Gremlin in lieu of regular oil.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
64 Posts

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
This is not good.....
According to Consumer Reports, the 2021 Kia Soul has a predicted reliability rating of one out of five, which is below average. The 2021 Kia Seltos is a little too new to judge, but has a predicted rating of three out of five
I noticed they said neither model is well equipped with standard safety features. Possibly a Fire Suppression System would be good 😂

Reactions: Junk2.0

·
Registered
242 Posts
Had the thermostat software update done yesterday and when they ran my vin # my Soul isn't on the oil ring recall list. 3/20 build date. Wheeew glad to see it.

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
177 Posts
Had the thermostat software update done yesterday and when they ran my vin # my Soul isn't on the oil ring recall list. 3/20 build date. Wheeew glad to see it.
I’m surprised the dealers have that info already. I hope they knew what they were talking about. My LX is 3/2020 as well so that makes me hopeful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m surprised the dealers have that info already. I hope they knew what they were talking about. My LX is 3/2020 as well so that makes me hopeful.
If you read the recall notice (NHTSA) it's all 2L NU Mpi Souls made from November 20, 2019 through October 15, 2020. Just because a car is part of the recall does not mean a car will have the specified problem.

My 2020 GT (non Turbo) made in 1/2020 started consuming oil at around 6K miles, I need to add about 1 QT every 1,100 miles. I'm bringing back to the dealer next week for an oil consumption test and will ask about the recall.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I wouldn’t hold my Breath on not being on the recall list. It may be too soon the the VIN list to be generated. The dealer notice is going out June 4th. The recall paperwork indicates that all Souls manufactured between November 20, 2019 and October 15, 2020 are to be recalled and inspected for the piston wear issue. If unusual wear found, the engine will be replaced. If no wear the knock sensor will be adjusted to detect and alert driver/operator to get to a dealer ASAP for follow up and get engine repaired. The estimate is only about 1% of the157,000 or so cars are affected by this problem. You still will have to visit a dealer and get it checked out.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
If you read the recall notice (NHTSA) it's all 2L NU Mpi Souls made from November 20, 2019 through October 15, 2020. Just because a car is part of the recall does not mean a car will have the specified problem.

My 2020 GT (non Turbo) made in 1/2020 started consuming oil at around 6K miles, I need to add about 1 QT every 1,100 miles. I'm bringing back to the dealer next week for an oil consumption test and will ask about the recall.
That's exactly right about the recall. It's not by vin and can't be searched by vin. All vehicles made in the noted time period are part of the recall. Apparently they cannot determine exact vehicles that have the defective rings.

About your oil consumption.....I just went through it. Keep your own records like taking pictures of dipstick at certain intervals. When making an appointment for service, I do it online, put notes about it and amounts added so when they print out your service ticket it's documented.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
Seems the oil consumption "myth" has been going on for more than gen 3. Been searching for a few answers about oil in general and keep coming up with consumption threads.
I was Wondering what type of oil comes in new souls as my oil is very orange in color. Also curious if the professionals/technicians that post here use full synthetic oil in their own personal vehicles.

What I find it amazing that you hear the same answer when someone asks dealer about consumption, the answer is "that's normal" no matter how much oil your consuming!!?? There is nothing normal about 1/2 quart or more consumption. No one should accept this answer.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts