Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
64 Posts
They say it is 1% if vehicles but have given no rationale as to how they got to that number given the piston rings were all made too hard. Or it was a batch and they don’t know which batch went it which car and thus they come to the 1% figure.
The big problem is the wear those rings are causing may not be noticeable yet depending on the miles on your engine, so instead the engine may let go at some date in the future. Under warranty, yes, but that is of little comfort is it throws a rod when you’re in the interstate and someone slams into you at 75mph because of it. I have little faith in their repurposing of the knock sensor to listen for scraping noises...
I was going to hang onto this car for a while.......doubtful now and this will be my last kia

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
177 Posts
I was going to hang onto this car for a while.......doubtful now and this will be my last kia
For me, its kind of a "too soon to tell" situation. At 14k miles my 2020 runs smoothly, gets great fuel economy, and hasn't lost a drop of oil. If that changes, then my opinion will change. Why freak out about a couple articles with very few details and comments by some stressed strangers on the internet?

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
For me, its kind of a "too soon to tell" situation. At 14k miles my 2020 runs smoothly, gets great fuel economy, and hasn't lost a drop of oil. If that changes, then my opinion will change. Why freak out about a couple articles with very few details and comments by some stressed strangers on the internet?
Few articles and some stressed strangers from the internet!? WTF??
The more I dig in this forum there is a PLETHORA of evidence that this problem is much more than that!

I enjoyed owning both my souls but to think they have been brushing off this oil consumption problem as "normal" consumption is PREPOSTEROUS!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Trade in a car with a problem, that could be covered under warranty, and you can't believe the criticism you'll reap.
If you do it, just keep it to yourself. :ROFLMAO:
I traded off my Gen-1 Soul, because something inside the engine was coming apart, and you can't believe the flames I got, right here on the forum, for doing that.

OH, by the way, at 21K+ miles, my 2020 LX is still using NO oil. And she just keeps running betterer and betterer! At my last Oil Change (last week) the mechanic reported NO metal on the Magnetic Oil Drain Plug. Yes, I added that Magnetic Oil Drain Plug at my first Oil Change.
Every car should have one, but none do, if the owner doesn't install it himself.

Available, at Amazon.

:cool:

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
Trade in a car with a problem, that could be covered under warranty, and you can't believe the criticism you'll reap.
If you do it, just keep it to yourself. :ROFLMAO:
I traded off my Gen-1 Soul, because something inside the engine was coming apart, and you can't believe the flames I got, right here on the forum, for doing that.

I can handle as much as they want to send my way! ;)
I already said it out loud. I even contacted their sales dept and put it right to them, told them talk to service adviser etc, call kia whatever, buy the car sitting in your shop back and make me whole. They came real close, a 2021 for about $18 more a month...not good enough. I told them no harm no damage to me.
So......I can take the heat....but thanks for the warning.

And to add....your car is exactly as it should be, NO or VERY little oil consumption that doesn't require additions and CONSTANT monitoring.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I'm not afraid to pop the hood and check the dipstick every week or so. So far, in 21K+ miles I've detected NO oil usage at all. I guess I got one of the GOOD ones. ( I broke it in FAST, and seated the rings within the first 1k miles.)
Then I had my first oil change at 3k miles, to get rid of the Break In oil.
If I ever do,detect an oil level drop, I'll be under the car, in a heartbeat looking for something loose. Been there and done that! Twice, in earlier cars, I've had oil filters NOT put on tight enough, and they came loose.
I've never had that problem on my KIA Souls (2).

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
Here's something for the interested. I took pics of my dipstick, no not that dipstick the one in my car to keep track of things.
Heres 2 images to compare and where they were at:
This image is my diptick at 7000 miles. This is 1500 miles after 5500 mile oil change. I think it's pretty reasonable amount of time to check oil. I had a dry dipstick(should have took that pic but was in a panic) had to add ONE FULL QUART of oil just to get to low level line. Dealer had to add more and told them to record but of course didn't. So, at least half oil is fresh and new. Black line was marked by dealer tech but they won't fess up with what it was a reference for.
Image One

This image is my dipstick at 8000 miles. 1000 miles after full crankcase and clean clear oil.
Image 2

These are google drive shared links so safe.

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
177 Posts
Few articles and some stressed strangers from the internet!? WTF??
The more I dig in this forum there is a PLETHORA of evidence that this problem is much more than that!
Yes-- if you search online for anything you will find a plethora of it. That's why Google is not a tool that professional researchers use.

You also have to separate any info about prior generations-- that's a whole different engine.

Or you can freak out with strangers on the internet.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
Yes-- if you search online for anything you will find a plethora of it. That's why Google is not a tool that professional researchers use.

You also have to separate any info about prior generations-- that's a whole different engine.

Or you can freak out with strangers on the internet.
Hmmmm...let me give you an example of how your logic, is well, illogical superG!
By your logic if I have a tax question and want to find out a specific answer on the subject, if my research starts at google then my results are invalid
But if I wind up on the IRS website with the FACTS presented to me, the route I used to get there is irrelevant!
That fact is, I got the facts and you can't change those facts!
If the facts are in fact, facts, then the route I got to the facts is IRRELEVANT!

Now i'm no rocket surgeon but I can read and comprehend. Apparently, your super geniousry prevents you from logical thought

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
177 Posts
Yes, or if you search for oil loss in Kia Souls (or any other vehicle), you will find tons of accounts of that because those people get online to discuss it. Most vehicle owners don't get online to discuss how great their car is running. This inequality of information would cause one to believe that something is a major widespread issue when it may only be affecting 1% or less of owners. For example, 53 issues reported on the NHTSA might seem like an extremely high number of complaints but compared to how many vehicles were sold, it's a drop in the bucket and not representative of the vast majority of owner experience. If you are one of those unlucky drops in the bucket, I could see why you would emotionally jump to the viewpoint that Kia is screwing everyone but that is in fact clouded judgement.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
It's funny, sales dept calling my already this morning. I knew they would as they love to play the game and think everyone is the same. Unfortunately their playing softball and i'm playing hardball. We started $18 away now $12 away......yeh, i'm real pain in the ass! Their best bet is to just take their lumps and move on, once I set goal, you either meet it or get beaten into submission if you keep trying...hahahahahah.....
I predict I might be driving a 2021 soon?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,617 Posts
It's funny, sales dept calling my already this morning. I knew they would as they love to play the game and think everyone is the same. Unfortunately their playing softball and i'm playing hardball. We started $18 away now $12 away......yeh, i'm real pain in the ass! Their best bet is to just take their lumps and move on, once I set goal, you either meet it or get beaten into submission if you keep trying...hahahahahah.....
I predict I might be driving a 2021 soon?
Go get em Tiger! You've probably already won even at the $12 difference. If you have over 7000 miles on your 2020, that's about $600 in per mile utility (depreciation) you've used of your Soul in less than a year. The $12/mo ($144/yr) means they are comping you about 4 years of per mile depreciation. I'd take the W and call it a day 🙂

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
Go get em Tiger! You've probably already won even at the $12 difference. If you have over 7000 miles on your 2020, that's about $600 in per mile utility (depreciation) you've used of your Soul in less than a year. The $12/mo ($144/yr) means they are comping you about 4 years of per mile depreciation. I'd take the W and call it a day 🙂
I hadn't taken the angle of depreciation into account but very interesting. Appreciate making me look at it from that standpoint.
Not saying it isn't "good" but I want to "feel" unharmed. If I can wrap my head around your calculations I may give it a second thought. Vehicle is exactly 1 year old and 8k miles.

ADDED: So I looked at my 2016 soul purchase. I was able to keep same payment with the 2020. So....if I take this deal my car payment has only increased $12 a month for the last 5 years? Hmmm....i'm good! hahahahahah.....

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I hadn't taken the angle of depreciation into account but very interesting. Appreciate making me look at it from that standpoint.
Not saying it isn't "good" but I want to "feel" unharmed. If I can wrap my head around your calculations I may give it a second thought. Vehicle is exactly 1 year old and 8k miles.
If you have purchased any extended warranties or maintenance contracts, on your original vehicle, you might want to also see if those can transfer to the new vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
Ok...now I got a head buzz and really thinking about caving! :p The commercial for one of the car buying services is playing in my head "TAKE THE DEAL, TAKE THE DEAL, TAKE THE DEAL"!!
Boy I hate that! hahahahaha.....

Who thinks I should take the deal?

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
If you have purchased any extended warranties or maintenance contracts, on your original vehicle, you might want to also see if those can transfer to the new vehicle.
I never buy any additional warranties and that also annoys sales and closers! :)
It's a kia soul, not a mercedes benz, I don't need paint and upholstery coverage......but, that nitro coverage is good for tire repairs and 1 replacement a year! I find every screw and nail on the road it seems.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,617 Posts
Ok...now I got a head buzz and really thinking about caving! :p The commercial for one of the car buying services is playing in my head "TAKE THE DEAL, TAKE THE DEAL, TAKE THE DEAL"!!
Boy I hate that! hahahahaha.....

Who thinks I should take the deal?
You're really NOT caving. You've won mathematically. You always want to leave your opponent with some dignity, and honestly you've done such a good job on this one that there's only a whisper of dignity left for them. My take is grab this deal Carmen and as you drive off in your new 2021 Soul, think of the bread crumbs you left for those poor [email protected] BwaaHaaHaa!!

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
You're really NOT caving. You've won mathematically. You always want to leave your opponent with some dignity, and honestly you've done such a good job on this one that there's only a whisper of dignity left for them. My take is grab this deal Carmen and as you drive off in your new 2021 Soul, think of the bread crumbs you left for those poor [email protected] BwaaHaaHaa!!
Yeh, you're right. I guess car salesman are people too! /s But honestly, I never feel bad working over a dealer!
I threw the ball back in their court. If all is good i'm going to move forward and get into the 2021.
I'll be sure to post what happens.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
UPDATE: 2021 in my parking spot. Closed it in record time, less than an hour and 1/2!
Ok, so kia sales stepped up and i'm happy. Think it was best for everyone.
After reading about the 100k plus engines being replaced on recall....well that is some warranty.
So...back to loving my soul.....for now.

I'll post some observations about engine noises as I have listened to MANY engines since and the new
one. Put peoples minds at ease on what noises are normal or not.
The older models seems to be the quietest....no noise, hardly can be heard. The new engines have the "sewing machine" sound in very faint way. My 2020 engine noises were quite clearly valve tapping as it was MUCH louder and got louder as vehicle warmed.
New 2021 has the faint sewing machine tick if you will.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
UPDATE: 2021 in my parking spot. Closed it in record time, less than an hour and 1/2!
Congratulations on your new '21!

Out of curiosity what is the build date on your new one?

41 - 60 of 101 Posts