Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh Yea.................I have two '21s one built 4-27-2020 and the other 10/2020

NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V259000
Manufacturer Kia Motors America
Components ENGINE
Potential Number of Units Affected 147,249
Summary
Kia Motors America (Kia) is recalling certain 2020-2021 Soul, and 2021 Seltos vehicles equipped with 2.0L Nu MPI engines. The piston oil rings may not have been properly heat-treated, which may result in engine damage.
Remedy
Kia will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and, if necessary, replace the engine, free of charge. In addition, Kia will deploy Piston Ring Noise Sensing System (PNSS) software. The recall is expected to begin June 11, 2021. Owners may contact Kia customer service at 1-800-333-4542. Kia's number for this recall is SC209.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It looks like the one made in 10/20 may be OK. My 2020 EX is definitely I clouded. But I notice that the affected models are estimated to be only 1% of the total vehicles, that amounts to about 1470 cars. So you may pluck out.
i wonder if any of the Hyundai models are affecte.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It looks like the one made in 10/20 may be OK. My 2020 EX is definitely I clouded. But I notice that the affected models are estimated to be only 1% of the total vehicles, that amounts to about 1470 cars. So you may pluck out.
The 10/20 might be OK, but one of the documents states; "The vehicles subject to this recall were not produced in VIN order." So 'roll of the dice' on that one too! They probably need the vehicle to get the engine number to see if it applies.

Edit:
My tiny brain did not make the connection on the 'estimated to be only 1% of the total vehicles'. So that small number makes me feel a bit better!

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
108 Posts
Oh Yea.................I have two '21s one built 4-27-2020 and the other 10/2020

NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V259000
Manufacturer Kia Motors America
Components ENGINE
Potential Number of Units Affected 147,249
Summary
Kia Motors America (Kia) is recalling certain 2020-2021 Soul, and 2021 Seltos vehicles equipped with 2.0L Nu MPI engines. The piston oil rings may not have been properly heat-treated, which may result in engine damage.
Remedy
Kia will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and, if necessary, replace the engine, free of charge. In addition, Kia will deploy Piston Ring Noise Sensing System (PNSS) software. The recall is expected to begin June 11, 2021. Owners may contact Kia customer service at 1-800-333-4542. Kia's number for this recall is SC209.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Glad they are stepping up. A little surprised how long it takes to imply a recall. Until, I receive the notice, i plan to keep driving the car. If i need a new engine might as well get as far down the road as possible with the current one. I wonder how the “noise sensor” actually works. I understand the basics but the implementation could be tricky.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder how the “noise sensor” actually works. I understand the basics but the implementation could be tricky.
It might work, from what I've read about the Gen2 'Knock or Ping' software update, once it's detected then the engine is probably damaged. More of a driver safety notification than an actual fix.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
108 Posts
It might work, from what I've read about the Gen2 'Knock or Ping' software update, once it's detected then the engine is probably damaged. More of a driver safety notification than an actual fix.
Agree there is no fixing this with software, just earlier warning of impending failure. If caught early enough an engine might be saved, but my money is on new blocks, pistons, and rings at a minimum.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul +
11 Posts
I knew it was coming.
I wonder if Kia does durability testing. The 2.0 NU GDI engine has issues and now the 2.0 NU MPI engine has issues. I use to work at the GM proving grounds in Mesa AZ and most vehicles were driven 24/7 only stopping if the vehicle broke down or had scheduled maintenance/evaluation. This continued for 30K miles which simulated 100K of normal driving.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,606 Posts
So how do we know if our engine is affected? By VIN ?
The Kia Owners site is a great way to see all recall and service campaign issues for your specific vehicle. Plus alot of other stuff. It's free. Strongly recommend it.

Kia Owners Portal

Reactions: Buzz and soul_2021

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just checked. There is nothing on the owners portal at the moment either safety or campaigns about the recall. it may be too early for them to have that informatio.

Reactions: quietguy

·
Registered
843 Posts
They say clearly: Potential Number of Units Affected 147,249

That number is probably including Hyundai and Kia, because the recall is for the engine type, not car type.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
They say clearly: Potential Number of Units Affected 147,249

That number is probably including Hyundai and Kia, because the recall is for the engine type, not car type.
The way I read it then147,249 is th total vehicles sold. Only approximately 1% of those are affected. Yes, we all may have get our cars inspected, but only a few will need to have engines replaced.

Reactions: quietguy

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
The way I read it then147,249 is th total vehicles sold. Only approximately 1% of those are affected. Yes, we all may have get our cars inspected, but only a few will need to have engines replaced.
That would only be about 1,473 cars. Hopefully they can trace/track which vehicles those batch of rings went into.

Ultimately I would venture a guess that they will handle this similar to Gen 2. Extending the drivetrain warranty to 15 years and just hope for the best, and replace failed engines on those that don't make it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yeah, that's probably cheaper for them.
Especially if the extended warranty does not apply for second buyers.

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
61 Posts
Kia should offer to purchase their garbage back...who the hell wants a new car with a replaced engine? And these jokers in the service departments are going to do it?? Good luck!

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT-Line, 2010 Soul Sport
55 Posts
Lovely. I have just under 6k miles on my '20 GT Line, and now I have to make a dealer appointment for a possible engine change. Might be time to trade it in.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts