Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a rearview camera and a video mirror in the Soul today.
I got both items on eBay and they were sent from china.
The camera fits right in the spot where the licence plate light goes. It replaces the stock one with one that includes the camera.
I wired the power for the camera to the reverse light. I wired the mirror power to the stereo.
The wires tucked easily into the trim down the drivers side floor.
I didn't snap a pic of the camera, but will do when it stops raining and I have a moment. I am pretty pleased with how it turned out

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol.
Yeah it looks like crap with the gps power wire there.
I am going to eventually get a nav in dash so the garmin will go away.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
So it's a "wireless" camera, meaning, you only need a power source for the camera? How hard was it wiring the stereo? Also, does it come up automatically upon reverse? And finally, if you were going to replace the stereo with a nav unit, why not get one with a reverse cam?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. It is not a wireless camera. I ran the video wire from the camera along the drivers side and up the A pillar into the mirror.
Yes the video pops up automatically upon selecting reverse. I used the reverse light as the power wire for the camera. The monitor only activates upon a video signal so when the camera is powered up it activates the mirror monitor. There is about a half second delay from selecting reverse to the video appearing. That is about the same as the stock one that I had in my Forte.
Tapping into the stereo wire was easy, but I had already had it all apart before to install a pioneer head unit that was faulty so I sent it back.
I went this route for a few reasons. The mirror actually has two video inputs so I can wire up a front camera or use it for whatever in the future. The second is I never look at the radio when backing up but use the mirrors. I had a stock camera in my previous car and I just didn't like it being in the head unit. Another reason is it leaves options open for if I don't end up getting a nav in dash. That is my plan to probably get one of those Chinese android units, but ya never know.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Thanks, you make it sound so easy. I'm looking for one of those Chinese android head units as well, but probably get one with a back up cam. On the other hand, I wanted to get a auto dimming mirror, so may as well get it with a LCD screen. I'm torn, lol.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hardest part was getting the trim panels off. I ended up breaking a few of the clips. I even have a trim removal tool kit and still broke a few. Luckily we had some trim clips in the garage that fit so it all worked out.
The auto dimming feature is definitely nice.

The factory mirror came off easily with a star bit (can't remember the size) and the replacement fit perfectly and even came with the correct Allen key to tighten it down.
The camera fit perfectly in the licence light spot too so truly the trim is the hard part as long as you are comfortable cutting and soldering a few wires.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and it only cost around a $100.
Around $80 for the mirror and $20 for the camera.
I had bought a long video cable but didn't need it cause the cables that came with the camera were more than long enough.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Not the neatest camera better in number plate mount. or OEM camera in boot badge . GEN 1
The Garmin or similar can usually be mounted lower onto you dash so the wire disappears with short drop down to power supply. do not mount too low. lots of dash mounts out there if you can not Make one yourself, best to make them removable to deter break ins.
Jeff

·
Registered
112 Posts
I installed the same setup in my car. Its handy, but not as good as a factory camera since its mounted so low. I only get an odd angle of the vehicle I am approaching, instead of that 45° downwards view. That being said for $20 its great and much nicer that the license plates ones, which would also have the low mounting issue. For snaking the wiring, I drilled a hole through the rubber stopper where your rear light wiring goes. Then I removed the cargo side panel just a bit to pass the wire behind it & into the passenger area. From there i was able to tuck it under the trim that runs under the door, then finally to the fuse box. For my mirror the wiring tucked into the head liner & the A-pillar popped out very easy. In total I spent roughly 45-60 minutes...the hardest part for me was getting the wiring from the camera to the back up light area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts