Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK… So my Rear Woofer is busted. I’ve had the car for 4 months. I’m sure the dealership will replace it under warranty. I don’t want to modify the car in any way. I don’t plan replacing anything.
My question is….

I would like to know if there is an aftermarket woofer that would replace the factory woofer and I mean simply be installed in the same slot as the orginal.

·
Registered
556 Posts
When I used to have my Spectra the right front speaker blew out. I took it in to the dealer, they looked it over and ordered a part. 3 days later I went back, and they installed in less than 30 mins. No cost except a little time at the dealer. Why buy something you can get for free? From what I've heard, the speakers in the Soul are great it's the head unit that sucks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
When I used to have my Spectra the right front speaker blew out. I took it in to the dealer, they looked it over and ordered a part. 3 days later I went back, and they installed in less than 30 mins. No cost except a little time at the dealer. Why buy something you can get for free? From what I've heard, the speakers in the Soul are great it's the head unit that sucks.
Well, you heard wrong, I wouldn't describe the Soul speakers as bad, they are pretty typical of a lower cost oem speaker system. They certainly aren't "great". A great pair of 6.5 inch speakers could cost you as much or more than the +$500 that is the total cost of the upgraded system, that includes an amp, center speaker and rear woofer. Although the stock door speakers could be bettered for less than $100 a pair, probably closer to $50. And everything I've seen and read about the subwoofer, it is possibly worst of all of them. Any of the 8 inch drivers at Parts Express, that will fit, and have the correct ohm rating, will be better than the oem.

I don't know where you get this stuff, but I haven't seen anyone say that the head unit sucks. Sure, it can be bettered, but those who have upgraded the components downstream, using compatible components, and in some cases the correct adaptor [something to match impedances, I believe] have all posted that they were pleased.

I know very little about the current state of the art, when it comes to car audio, and with all shared sources, steering wheel controls, and other assorted electronics. All that is quite different from the days when we pulled the simple AM or AM/FM radio out and put in an aftermarket FM stereo cassette unit with an amp or two, a couple of 6x9s in the rear package shelf, and maybe some 6.5" in the door. The one thing that hasn't changed much is speakers. Yes, there are more available with a variety of cone materials, but it is still true that with the exception of high end cars with designer hi-end systems, [probably the best example would be the Mark Levinson system they were putting in Lexus] the oem speakers will easily be bettered.

For the OP I guess the question would be, were you happy with the sound before it broke? If so, just let the dealer put in another stock speaker. If not get the info you'll need to replace it, maybe the dealer would be willing to put it in, instead of the stock unit, it's worth asking. I think there are some depth limitations. Do some searching, I know someone posted pics of the woofer out of the car, including pics of the panel the speaker is behind.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I like the head unit, the external amp is OK. The speakers.... I'm not a big fan. I've replaced my door speakers with some nice ones. WORLD of difference.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I do not wish to replace the head unit or any speakers in the car accept for the subwoofer or woofer as the kia website refers to it as. I was wondering if there was an aftermarket subwoofer that would fit in the place of the factory subwoofer. I not plan on replacing anything from the factory accept for the woofer itself.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My front right and back left door speakers sound like they are blown.

took it into my dealership.. they said the speakers are fine and to turn down the bass.

nothing else I could do .. dealership won't fix it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I kept the factory subwoofer, but added a powered self contained 8" subwoofer under the passenger seat. Adds a world of difference without altering the factory system, or losing any storage space. I have a thread listed under ICE.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Bodycount,

Why not buy some better speakers? I realize that is an expense you may not have wanted, but if you overdriving the speakers with bass boost, it will happen again.

In my opinion, there is only one way to determine anything about the sound of components in this, or any car. That is using a reference source, and for most that will be using a CD. Use a CD of music you know well, and obviously not anything with excessive synthesized bass. A mono CD is best for this as you will hear the same music through all the speakers, when manipulating the balance and front to rear controls.
You can find mono CDs such as the Beatles "Mono Masters" 2-CD set, or Jazz originally recorded in the early 1950s. Once you can definitely listen to a speaker at a time, if they are blown you will hear the difference. At that time the dealers next call is whether or not to honor the warranty based on you misusing the stereo.

Using radio, Sirius, or low resolution iPod type sources will not give you a real good idea of what the system is capable of or what is actually wrong with it. When audio reviewers are doing an evaluation they use reference music, songs they know really well. Even someone who may possess "golden ears" can't tell much when hearing an unfamiliar source. Stereo music that you know is fine for evaluating the whole system. I recommend mono for your situation, as it is the only way I know to get the same sound to all four of the door speakers.

If anyone is having trouble finding mono CDs, PM me and I'l give you a short list, to look for.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Pheonixms...

To answer your question, no, there is no drop-in plug-n-play subwoofer you can get to replace the stock subwoofer in the same location. They call it an 8" subwoofer, but it's actually a 7.5" or a 7.75" sub. you simply cannot fit an aftermarket 8" sub in the hole back there without some modification to the body of the car.

If, however, you do cut out a true 8" hole where the stock sub is, you then have the problem of a shallow fit. The factory sub has a pretty small magnet, and an aftermarket sub will most likely have a large magnet which will hit the outer panel. A quick solution is to get a shallow subwoofer. Then just trim the plastic panel that covers the thing up back there.

The third hurdle is finding a place to put an amplifier because I guarantee you that if you are unhappy with the stock sub, you will be unhappy with the stock amp driving an aftermarket one.

well there is my two cents and a little experience trying to do the same thing. good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been looking for a new sub-woofer(10 inch) to mount in a rear shelf I made(pictures later) the factory sub is a dual voice coil 2 Ohm speaker(and only 20-50 Watts). though not impossible to find, I cannot get one locally. I removed the factory sub and installed it in the shelf for now.
I would like to add a real sub amp(the factory one just does not cut it) but one look at the wiring harness made we wait till I can get my hands on a schematic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a bunch. That's what I wanted to know. I have to bring the car in for the Speaker Light Recall so I'll bring the sub to their attention to have it replaced. I have the bass set to 0. I pretty much keep the volume level at 15 if I'm listening to a song I enjoy. I have rarely went over 16 so I really am hoping the sub was actually defective.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Let me know what the dealer says about it. I reported my sub-woofer blown to my dealer. He said the radio was covered but did not think any speakers were covered under the warranty. He said he will look to see if it is a lose wire first. I have not gone back and was planning to remove the rear interior side panel but it look like a pain in the ass. Anyone remove their interior panel in from of the sub woofer 8in or 7,75in?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Whats the latest with the sub? If I'm listeneing to Stern or Music at low levels I here an awful rumble noise from the sub, definitly sounds blown, I never have the volume past 20 usally around 10 to 15... Does the dealer warranty the sub speaker?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts