Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the stock LED brake lights and am going to swap out the turn signals and backup lights with the DD LEDs. I'd like to switch to red turn signal lamps versus the amber, but according to the DD site you want to match the housing color (obviously). Without taking the taillight assembly apart, I assume its just silver, so a red turn signal wont be a problem. Can anyone who's opened theirs up confirm this for me?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have red led's installed in my housings, along with ballasts, so the they don't hyper flash, since the flasher unit (at least in my 2012 !) cannot be replaced with a standard 2 or 3 prong electronic flasher. The inside of the housings appear to be chrome plastic. I also tried yellow (amber?) led's in them, but I decided, as you have, that I preferred the red better. I have also converted every other non-led bulb on the Soul to led's, inside and out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Old Grouch, thanks for the info. Since we both have '12 exclaims, it sounds like I am okay. I also plan on swapping the backup light for an LED when I've got the assembly apart, hoping it will give me better visibility on my backup camera at night.

As far as the flasher, I prefer to swap that out, rather than splicing in ballasts (because of the warranty) but I see on another thread here you say that our flasher is not easily replaceable. The Tridon EP34 isn't plug-and-play with the '12 exclaim?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
928 Posts
I did the led conversion on the b.u. lights also. Plenty of illumination for the camera. Actually seemed a bit brighter, so maybe the led illumination is more favorable for the camera. Incidentally, you do know that the turn bulbs require an 1156 bulb base i hope. I don't have a clue as to why the people at Kia used that old bulb technology when they went exactly the opposite direction with the odd H11B headlamp bulbs. I converted those also, but only to xenon 5000k's. Also, I have (with great difficulty, I might add) removed the flasher from it's extremely inconvenient location, only to find that I was unable to use a simple 2 or 3 prong flasher like the one you mentioned (and which I already had) at all as Kia has decided to follow the lead of the domestic manufacturers in using a nicely over engineered and very expensive (re: around $100) unit instead, so when purchasing your turn signal bulbs, you will need to order the ballasts, too. There's plenty of room for them behind the taillight assemblies, so don't worry about that. Oh, and the b.u. bulbs will be T10's. You'll want to get them with as many SMD 5050 led's as possible. Mine have 13 of the 5050 led's on each bulb. They're readily available on ebay cheap. Gives the b.u. lights a nice true white light.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Didn't go the HID route as I really wasn't sure that what the suppliers were calling H11 kits actually were, so I just went with 5000k xenon bulbs to get away from the yellowish color of the stock bulbs. Makes the lines on the road and road signs pop a bit better at night. Also, I remember reading somewhere that Kia doesn't recommend HID's for their vehicles. Something about them interfering with other systems on the vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts