Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, after just a few days of owning my Soul, I noticed a brand new deep scratch (or gouge?) on the right side of the rear plastic bumper. The bumper is unpainted textured plastic. The damage wasn't there yesterday, so something must've happened either overnight, or when I parked at a convenience store this morning for a minute, never left it unattended after yesterday evening. Anyway, I've been doing some research on how to fix it or how to make it a lot less noticeable. One suggestion was using a sharp razor to get rid of the protrusions and then some kind of plastic filler, but I don't know, since it's textured plastic. The bumper was pristine before. Wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm attaching some pictures so you can see the damage.

IMG-2036.jpg IMG-2032.jpg

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,446 Posts
That sucks karl. It's frustrating because the very thing designed to be "bumped" on a car reminds you in a big visual way that it's been bruised. You'd think in this day & age there'd be a better material than hard, textured delicate plastic :)

A painted, smooth surface bumper could be repaired, even using some filler, to near pristine condition. Not so much with our Soul unpainted, texture units.

My suggesting, beyond replacing the entire bumper, would be to heat gun this beeotch & see if those results are something you can live with. Take your time and don't burn, blister the material. The goal is to soften so the plastic on either side of the scratches blend together.

Check this out on similar hard textured car plastic:

PS: this thread by another member who had a similar issue may or may not help in the "acceptance" phase.

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/145-soul-problems-gen-2/76442-4-gouge-scratch-lowest-part-black-bumper-what-do.html

Reactions: karlost

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's very frustrating. The video shows removing surface scratches, not sure how it would work on the deep one which goes through that indentation. A heat gun sounds like a good investment however. I'm also about to look into quotes from body shops. The damage isn't horrible, but it's definitely an eyesore.. makes me cringe every time I see it now, especially after having the Soul for less than a week. Thank you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,160 Posts
maybe check with your dealership, they may have local guys that come to the dealership to do repairs of that type on their used vehicles (sometimes on new ones) and can connect you up with the service.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
What's deductible on your insurance....? Get an estimate for a replacement... YUP that's the only way to fix that is with a replacement new "SKIN"....<:-(( replacement "SKINS" are repetitively inexpensive, easy for a do-it-yourselfer to do...
NOTE: If it was my "NEW" Soul, it would get a "NEW" SKIN...(FAKE BUMPER)

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can just replace the middle plastic part of the bumper. It's not a huge task but it will take time as you have to remove the bumper cover and then the middle section. I had the same thing happen to me but on the painted part then it was done again and I had to replace the whole bumper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
maybe check with your dealership, they may have local guys that come to the dealership to do repairs of that type on their used vehicles (sometimes on new ones) and can connect you up with the service.
Yeah, I already talked to my guy at the dealership and he just suggested getting quotes from body shops.

What's deductible on your insurance....? Get an estimate for a replacement... YUP that's the only way to fix that is with a replacement new "SKIN"....<:-(( replacement "SKINS" are repetitively inexpensive, easy for a do-it-yourselfer to do...
NOTE: If it was my "NEW" Soul, it would get a "NEW" SKIN...(FAKE BUMPER)
My deductible is $500 and the bumper covers I'm looking at are all less than $200. This seems to be the better option so far. I've done such work in the past, but I'm trying to avoid having to replace the whole thing.

You can just replace the middle plastic part of the bumper. It's not a huge task but it will take time as you have to remove the bumper cover and then the middle section. I had the same thing happen to me but on the painted part then it was done again and I had to replace the whole bumper.
I hear ya. Again, the damage isn't extremely awful, I may just have to live with it for now. I may just get one of those band aid stickers, after scraping off the protruding plastic, and consider replacing the bumper cover in the future.

Something like this, maybe? Got the idea from that other thread.
s-l500.jpg

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Well, that sucks. New cars are magnets, even when they're used.

I've had some luck using marine epoxy/filler and paint to repair plastic bumper covers in general, but I haven't used it on a Soul. That might matter. Plastics can be finicky. I've even reproduced textures by pressing the business side of an appropriate grit of sandpaper against the epoxy when it was almost, but not quite set up. It's really not that hard and usually isn't noticeable until you get pretty close.

I'd try what @conwelpic suggested first, though. Most dealerships have people who do this sort of thing. That's how I found my first PDR guy. I think they probably have people who specialize in plastic bumpers, too.

Failing that, bumper skins aren't that expensive and are tedious, but not difficult to replace.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts