Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where I purchased my Soul, the dealer has a policy that I can come in during business hours and get a free car wash....for the Soul at no charge. This is a nice offer especially during the winter months. Of course the car wash is automatic.

Whenever, I take my Soul to get cleaned, I notice the rear license plate frame (metal) on the right side bent up towards the left. Well last night, the auto car wash broke my metal rear license plat frame.

The service associate has stated that this happens on all Kia Souls and this dealership has made Kia aware of the issue. I can see the point the rear bumper is not quite long enough, the license plate actually extends down below the bumper a bit. The auto car wash catches the license plate and bends it. Supposedly, on the Optimas this happens on the front bumper.

Has anyone else had this problem? I know one of the solutions, is to not use this dealers auto car wash but it actually cleans better than going to a DIY car wash.

I have been thinking about drilling holes in the bumper and placing inserts in the holes to screw the bottom of the license plate and frame to. Has anyone done this? How did you do it? What did you use? How does it work?

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
It could just be the style of license plate frame.

I have not had any issues with mine but my aftermarket frame does not extend that far past the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I have had mine on the car since new. I even repainted it and nothing. Not a scratch. It has gone through hundreds of car washes both at the dealer as well as local gas stations and the local auto detail shop. Still looks as good as the day I painted it.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Mine doesnt have the two bottom just the top. I haven't looked that close at the 12-13 bumper so I am not sure if there is a difference.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
When I dont wash it myself, I only go thru brushless carwashes. They may not get it quite as clean but it works for a quick cleanup. And its not free but I still have all my parts!

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey Rick i had the same problem i solved it by just moving my plate up as far as it would go and marked the holes with an awe and drilled four new holes and inserted four square tag screw nuts and bolted the tag back on. it looks awesome and only took me about 15 mins. iwill post a picture if u need me too...just remember go with the smallest drill possible so u have to squeeze those square plastic nuts in because u can't add plastic back once you make the holes to big...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2013. There are no bottom holes for the rear licence plate. The car did come with two screws for the front licence plate, I found in the glove box, so I used them in the rear. The screws were short but real fat and coarse threads to bite into plastic. I screwed them in by hand, I was afraid if used a drill it would strip out the plastic. I also put adhesive backed foam over the rear of the licence plat to stop rattling. If I ever get a licence plate frame I will modify the bumper and put a u-type speed nut in so I don't have to worry about it ever again.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
our Ontario plate doesn't extend past the bottom of the rear bumper, so I just fasten it in the top and not had any vibration problems, maybe because its onto plastic. I used to put foam pads behind it on the vehicles I had before where it was mounted on the metal portion of the vehicle and also to prevent it from scratching the body on the corners which it would over time from vibration.

Here's what's behind the plate on my Canadian model.

·
Registered
928 Posts
When I dont wash it myself, I only go thru brushless carwashes. They may not get it quite as clean but it works for a quick cleanup. And its not free but I still have all my parts!
Glad to hear that you still have all your parts, but what about the Soul?

·
Registered
600 Posts
That kind of thing happens all the time at car washes. They sell a heavy reinforced backing plate (cheap) to reinforce the plate. Go to any auto car wash and ask them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts