Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice their rear bumper starting to bulge upward toward the hatch? I haven't notified the dealership yet, but I certainly intend to.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Are you sure you haven't hit anything or someone hit you?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mines fine. Is there something under the bulge, can you push it down with your hand? Maybe the heat has warped it a little?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There has definately been no impact to the car, and it hasn't even been too hot here this summer. The car is garaged at home and at work. And there is nothing under the bulge...I can push it back into place with my hand, but it pops back up.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Have it looked at, but to ME, it looks like the geometry underneath changed, like someone HIT you in a lot and didn't leave a mark (or a note)

Went outside to look at my Molten, and no such deformity....and We have had some real (over 100) heat here in San Diego the last couple weeks, AND my Soul does park with the back to the sun ALL day.

Also with all these dumb PROJECTS I have been working on, I would have noticed this sort of thing RIGHT away since my cargo bin is currently my toolbox during all these little nerd mods.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Mine has been exposed to southern heat. I just went and looked and mine appears to be bulging in the middle. Guess i'll add that to my chipping paint complaint if Kia ever calls me back.

...AiboPet: I laugh in the face of your San Diego heat! It's not real heat if it's not so humid you have trouble breathing :p

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yeah.....We don't get that here.

San Diegans are spoiled anyway. Three "warm" days and we start moaning about the heat.....Three days of DRIZZLE, and the weatherman comes out dressed like Noah.

I dont miss 36C and 100% I grew up with in Hong Kong

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mine looks fine. I have the Shadow and let me tell you that sun shining on it in Texas heat it gets hot. I sometimes can't even touch the outside while shutting my door! Gotta love the 100+ several days in a row, well weeks. Washing the car every week I would notice that right away. Actually before because when I go outside to smoke I go to look at my car. You think I would get sick of looking at her. Ha Ha yea right!

·
Registered
332 Posts
WawasSoul...I wash mine at the very least twice a week. I didn't notice it until I looked and i'm pretty quick to spot stuff (like my many small paint chips on the hood - crappy Kia paint). It blends very well with the black paint being that it's black bulging on black. Look carefully and see if your bumper line changes as you get closer to the middle of the deck (mine moves up right at the middle of the deck).

Also....Have you noticed in your car washing on super hot days that the car has a baked plastic smell around the back of the car? First car i've ever had that literally smells like it's cooking itself.

·
Registered
448 Posts
WawasSoul...I wash mine at the very least twice a week. I didn't notice it until I looked and i'm pretty quick to spot stuff (like my many small paint chips on the hood - crappy Kia paint). It blends very well with the black paint being that it's black bulging on black. Look carefully and see if your bumper line changes as you get closer to the middle of the deck (mine moves up right at the middle of the deck).

Also....Have you noticed in your car washing on super hot days that the car has a baked plastic smell around the back of the car? First car i've ever had that literally smells like it's cooking itself.
I just got Stryker back from the body shop not even 2 weeks ago. I had hail damage and had to watch the whole horrible scene. The first thing I did was go over the whole car to make sure that I knew where all the dents were. That way when I got her back everything would be as good as new. The bumper was never bulged up before it went in and isn't now. I would have made the insurance company fix that also if it was!
I don't have any chips in my paint so far! 3500 miles and paint is looking great up to the clear coat! I make sure to have at least 3 car lengths in front of me at all times. I am not to old yet but I drive like an old lady. Plus don't want to give the state more money than I have to from speeding.
As for it baking itself I have yet to notice a smell from it. I expect any car to bake itself in Texas though! It smells like any new plastic does when I first got her.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well there I have it...looks like mine is not the only one. Although, mine is bulging on the left side (rather than in the middle).

·
Registered
332 Posts
This might be of interest to you gmsellers:

This morning when I checked it had the slight taper to a bulge in the middle. Around midday I had ran a few errands so it had been in the sun....looked at it and it had no bulge whatsoever. I'm going to check it again in the AM to see if it's a hot vs cool thing with mine. Doesn't make any sense but it was clearly bowed upwards in the middle this AM and not at all this afternoon.

·
Banned
288 Posts
I haven't noticed any bulges, and it's been in the 100's for the past few weeks (actuallly going on two months) here (and ironically the first few days I got my car it rained so I had to wash it like 3 times). I'll have to check tomorrow though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I checked early this AM and mine was slightly raised again in the middle. Keep in mind...it's not as obvious as yours but it does have about 1/4" gap on both ends and about a 1/8-ish (or less) gap in the middle. I wonder if it's all the humidity during the hot "dog days of summer" here in the South. I'll check again once it's warmed up and has been out in the sun but I expect that like yesterday it will be normal during the day. I can live with this as it doesn't seem to be an issue for me. I can only imagine the looks on the service depts faces if I came in telling them there's a 1/4" difference in an obscure measurement between 2am and 2pm.

But for yours i'd most certainly recommend you let someone look at it and fix it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Whooooa, take it to the dealer and get it written up and checked out to protect yourself in case more of this comes up with others. See what they have to say about it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Mine has no such thing, and is sitting out in the blistering Florida heat day long. Go to the dealer, I would assume it's covered under warranty since it's a faulty product.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Weird....Wonder if it's not the cover itself doing it, but as I said before a "geometry change" underneath....like maybe the bumper "shocks" or even the foam material they use inside changes with temp or humidity.

I still haven't noticed anything like this, but as mentioned before.....Our "extremes" in San Diego just aren't that extreme, or last for more than a couple days.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Different expansion rates between the bumper and the cover maybe. Is the bumper cover normaly mounted in such a way that it has a bit of "slack" so it doesn't get deformed by the difference? Maybe a bolt is just a tad too tight. This factor is part of the reason that vinyl siding has slots for nails and the installers don't pound the nails in flush.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts