Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 5 spd 2011 1.6L Base and I love it. I'm trying to add a touch quicker acceleration, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice.

I have made a few SSD modifications and they've been fantastic. The tower strut bar did WONDERS tightening up turning and making my car handle more how I expected. The CAI has increased gas mileage, which is what I was looking for. I've also noticed a bit better pick up, which was an added bonus.

Now I'm just looking to add a bit better pick up, without spending a fortune.

Before going further, I'm not a tuner, I have no desire to be, my car isn't for racing or speeding or anything like that. It's just beneficial in Florida to have decent acceleration so you don't get smeared on the interstates.

I've been thinking of either a Thorley exhaust or taking up a local shops advice to modify my existing exhaust to breathe a bit better by straightening it out.

Anything else I might be missing that won't slaughter my gas mileage?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cold air intake and maybe a complete magnaflow exhaust system looking about 4-8HP which is pretty decent for a good $3-400 bucks.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I've done nothing to my little 1.6L but a K&N Air Cleaner and Prolong Oil Treatment.
She pulled 111.1 horsepower on a wheel Dyno, better than a guy with a CAI, and she squeels the tires off the line.
For the smallest 4-banger I've ever owned, she's a Screamer!!!

Gainesville, Where? What state? If FL. then I'm just down the road from you.
I like to go to Cody's Roadhouse, on Archer Road, for lunch occasionally, but only on Friday or Saturday.
They don't open for lunch during the week.

Cheers Mate!
TM :cool:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Sorry to break it to you,bolt ons you mentioned and others are not gonna give you much in the
way of hp/torque gains at the wheels that you are really gonna feel.Slap on an exhaust system,it'll be a
bit louder,you'll think its a lot faster lol.
Furthermore the addition of the CAI is not gonna give you better mpg.
How did you do this?A K&N in the stock air box is way cheaper and will give you a BIT more oomph at higher
revs.The SSD strut brace,of course will not add any speed but does make the vehicle steer more precise.
I installed one,the install process was a tad harder than I thought and I'm well versed in tech stuff.Non
techi owners may have their hands full.Fitting the bolts&nuts through the strut towers is really a 2 man job.
Its a well built piece though.Great eye candy on the engine...Its 6 or 7 install on a scale of 10(easy).
You may want to consider some other options if you want more performance.Depending on your budget,the addition
of some lighter weight wheels will help a bunch.Light weight wheels are pretty expensive.Enkei makes some good ones
at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I mentioned two of my own speed tweaks, but not the third.

#3: I went up two sizes (widths) from stock on my 15" tires and increased the psi, from the factory suggested 33 psi, to a much more aggressive 42psi.*
* soft squishy tires take more horsepower to get moving, and to push down the road.

At the higher pressure, the car steers quicker, rolls easier and gives me better MPG. It's much cheaper than adding a Stabilizer Bar to overcome tire squirm and sway.

I've seen a significant improvement in the total performance of my little Gertrude, since the day I first brought her home.
It's also very important to stay with a High Quality motor oil and use ONLY KIA Oil Filters.

In stop-n-go traffic, which seems to happen almost daily, my MPG isn't all that good, but always remains above 20mpg.
But on road trips, keeping the speed down to under 60, I get really GOOD MPG.

I use the Scan Gauge II, to monitor my MPH and MPG in real time as I drive, so I can adjust my foot pressure on the GO pedal,
for best mileage and performance. I also use a technique I learned about on the MPG Forum, called "Pulse & Glide" which does improve MPG.

Above is just one sample of my MPG, on my last trip to Daytona Beach for Bikeweek.
The average for that entire trip, was 35.9 MPG., as calculated by miles driven divided by the gallons of gas burned.

Good mileage on a Kia Soul is possible, but you do have to work at it a little bit. Or at least, Drive Smart.

Happy Motoring!

:cool:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I had dropped my tire pressure down to 18psi, a couple of days ago, for some really hard pulling in loose sand.
When I finished with my work, I was so tired that I forgot to restore my tire pressure back to the normal 42psi.
The next morning I went the twenty miles into town, to see "Transformers". Driving the car was like herding turtles.
It didn't take long for me to figure out why.

It seems to be OK to drive on pavement at those low tire pressures, but forget about performance and Interstate speeds.
Performance sucks, and Internet speed is just plain dangerous. 45mph becomes the new, High Speed.

So tomorrow morning, before it gets too hot, I'm going to restore my proper tire pressure and then give my Gertrude a nice
hand washing. She's really worked hard the past few days and she is just plain Funky. She's got sand in places I didn't
realize she even had places. :)

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Don't mean to start an argument but there are some people here who think and feel that they have increased power by adding a K&N filter. I'm on several other car forums and over the years there has never been any objective proof of this. However there have been experiments and tests showing that the K&N does indeed flow a bit more air...and takes in a lot more dirt and dust in the process. If you could add even two horsepower by changing the filter, I think the factory would have already done it. Just my .02.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Ya know....everyone is welcome to their 2 cents worth. We all do it, from time to time.

But, until you've personally tested something, like the K&N Air Cleaner, and find it wanting, please don't badmouth those who have already done the testing and found it actually DOES improve getaway and overall MPG. One new user even commented that it gave his engine a nice little "Growl". :) :)

I did the testing years ago on my 750CC Honda 4 Cylinder Motor Cycle. Putting on the K&N air cleaners (4) made the engine breath so much easier than the stock air cleaner, that I had to re-jet the four carbs to match the increased air flow. Performance improved drastically.
I actually did that at the suggestion of my Honda Motor Cycle dealer's service manager.

I've had nothing but K&N Air Cleaners on my last four cars, and besides the extra performance I get, they are the only air cleaner I ever had to buy for the life of the car.

Buy yourself one of those expensive CAI gadgets and what's usually on the front end?......Answer: A K&N washable and re-oilable air cleaner.

You'll find them on race cars, Monster trucks, race boats, motor cycles and MY Gertrude.

I wash mine and re-oil it every 6k miles. (every 2 oil changes)

It's really kind of fun, knowing I'm saving money.

Cheers Mate!
TM :cool:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Technomage, you went from a single airbox and filter to pods? On my Vf750C i did the drop in filter. It really did improve airflow to the point it really needed a rejet. When i added the Supertrapp 4:2 mufflers i did a major rejet. The K&N does flow better, but i have heard the reports that it filters less than a conventional paper filter. I usually do a cold air intake and a cat back exhaust, just waiting for a few more manufacturers to offer something for the 2013 2.0.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Yes, on the Honda 4, 750 there was just one big air filter for the entire engine. It was actually at the suggestion of my Honda service manager that I exchanged the one big air filter for 4 individual K&N Filters. The exhaust system had already been changed by the first owner, for better scavenging and better performance. I don't think they had rejetted the carb's though. So when I put on the four K&N filters, I definitely HAD to re-jet. Once I got the right jets installed, that bike took off like a scalded dog.

I took it on a little road trip, about 1000 miles and it really ran great.

Driving style can make a big difference, in how much gain someone can get from a certain type of air filter, etc.
On every car that I've installed a K&N air filter on, I've seen a 3 to 5 mpg increase and usually an increase in quick acceleration.

K&N themselves, say that you can go 50k to 100k between cleanings. I see my own filter getting dirty in just a few thousand miles, so I've started cleaning and re-oiling it every 6k miles. (every other oil change). It's a very simple process and assures that my engine can always breath freely. It IS important to use the K&N Filter Oil, applied according to instructions, and not WD40 or something else.

I think that some drivers who elect to install a K&N Air Cleaner, get confused. It may be the last air filter you ever have to buy for your car, but it does need to be cleaned and re-oiled, at regular intervals.
You can't just install it and then forget it for the lifetime of the car.

Oh well.......

I hope y'all had a great 4th of July!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts