Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a Soul Plus...if I can find a new 2015 or for sure a 2016. I have 218k on my 2006 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix.) Is the Soul worthy of my purchase? I love the looks of the car, but I put about 22k miles a year on the car. Or should I look at a Toyota or Nissan? Thanks for the welcome! Soul Music

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
its your choice, but you are posting it on a Soul forum. :sneakiness: I just bought a 2016 Soul about 5 weeks ago, trading in my 2012 model on it. It's my third KIA and one of the reasons for sticking with the brand was the reliability of the vehicles - not a single mechanical problem (engine/transmission, electrics) on the first two.

Let me reverse your question - if you went to Toyota or Nissan what would you think would be equivalent to the Soul and provide all the versatility, features, content and long warranty that the Soul Plus will offer?

KIA is far more reliable than a Nissan and very close to Toyota in most of the surveys in that respect. For example from Consumer Reports 2016 New-Car predicted Reliability survey:
Toyota #2 in the most reliable group
Kia #6 in the most reliable group
Nissan #15 in the reliable group

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have a 2013 Soul Base 1.6 Automatic with 51K miles. Coming up on 3 years old at the end of April 2016.

My list of problems so far:

1) First winter - the engine was very slow to warm up. Dealer replaced the thermostat under warranty. Problem fixed. Waited 30 minutes, even with no appointment.

Nothing else. Not even a light bulb. Just normal maintenance (and that is cheap) - oil/filter changes, cabin air filter changes, one set of tires, wiper blades, etc. Still have half the original brake pads and smooth rotors.

What's more - I am still covered under the 5yr/60K mile bumper to bumper warranty, and then I still have the 10yr/100K powertrain warranty to fall back on. Hard to beat that!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Very good question.
I have mentioned the overall high mileage reliability of the Soul several times in my posts.
For sure,there have been reports of Soul mileage at near 200k. However,not that many
as compared to some of the other makes you have mentioned. I'd add Honda to
that list. 22K annual miles is a bit over the norm but not by much.
If I used the Soul as the sole daily driver,I may have put more thought in the purchase.
My Soul has almost 23k miles over 3 years. During that time it has run flawlessly.

It is your decision.Investigate the "reliability" reports. Find out exactly what they mean.
Like,reliability over how many years. Lets face it,today's vehicles are designed&built to
last longer. At 100k miles,a properly maintained vehicle should be running fine.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Toyota and Nissan have very similar reliability rates to Hyundai /Kia. you can check out all the surveys for like to like models. The Hyundai and Kia may work out better value over there as it looks like they are determined to get a good foot hold in market and the cars seem extra good value.
I am sure if you test drive the Soul against Toyota or Nissan of same value you will be one of many new Soul owners.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Neither Toyota or Nissan has anything that can be directly compared to the SOUL it has a niche all it's own. In terms of reliability most if not all reviews of the SOUL are highly positive. You have to do your own research and evaluation in order to make a concrete decision.

Pat.

Reactions: SOUL MUSIC

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,613 Posts
Also be aware that Toyota has farmed out some of it's vehicles to Mazda to build, especially the smaller, compact vehicles.

For the 2014 model year, Kia was #2 in reliability, only behind Porsche. The Soul is a particularly reliable model for Kia.

If it was my choice, dollar for dollar, I'd go for the Soul (and I'm a Honda guy).

Best of luck whatever way you go, please keep us posted!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Soul Music.... I, too, was searching for a good, reliable car.... and all the research that I did pointed to the Kia Soul.

I wouldn't lead you astray if the research proved otherwise.

Go for it! Follow your SOUL!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
First of all,I love my Soul.
Concerning the Korean made cars(there are only few),they are where Toyota &Honda were in the
90's. Except they are improving at a faster pace. It appears that the smart money is betting
on vehicles like the Soul.
I still have not seen the multitude of owners driving Souls in the near 200k miles category.
Perhaps the average owner will trade vehicles before that point?

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
I still have not seen the multitude of owners driving Souls in the near 200k miles category.
Perhaps the average owner will trade vehicles before that point?
As the Soul only came on the market in early 2009 as a 2010 model and they figure the average yearly mileage is estimate at 15,000 miles (that works out to 90k) then its not too difficult to figure that there won't be many vehicles around the 200k mark. Even at 25k a year that's only around 150k at this point in time.

Toyota came to North America in the late fifties so it only stands to reason that they would have many vehicles with higher mileages. Same would apply to Honda (1970) and Nissan (1960) too. Kia only came to the US in 1993 setting up a parts distribution center and signing up 20 dealers, 1994 was their first year of sales selling 12,163 vehicles. They came to Canada in 1999. They are a baby compared to most of the competition and look how far they have come in the time. Most of the others have had over 40 years head start :sneakiness:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the links. I had a 1990 Honda Civic with 242k on it and the Vibe now with 218k. I keep meticulous care on my cars, obviously, to keep my cars running for years. Have you heard of any developments coming for the 2017 model year for the Soul?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Hey Soul Music,

Sounds like you really take awesome care of your cars. I mentioned before I'm a Honda guy, owned from Civics up to Acura.

I was disappointed to read today that Honda has slipped below Toyota, Kia & Mazda in 2016. This has been mostly because of their CVT engine problems.

For me, I'd buy a manual stick anyways & I do appreciate that Honda has kept that option in many of their line ups.

But KIA had me at "hello." I love the build quality and reliability it has shown me so far.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
OK,I'll stick out my neck.
If I had only one(1) vehicle to own&drive (could not afford more than one,no space in the garage--whatever).
It would not be a Soul. Of course,this type of judgement has to include funds available to buy a vehicle.
Right now,I own 4 vehicles. I bought the Soul as a MPV . It does a great job in that function. I &my wife may clock
6-7k miles a year on our Soul.
If funds were not an object,I'd choose a Audi A4 or a Volvo if I was limited to one car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you, GeoSoul! Sorry to hear about the Hondas too. This Soul is looking more appealing the more I read responses to my question.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Thank you, GeoSoul! Sorry to hear about the Hondas too. This Soul is looking more appealing the more I read responses to my question.
I have owned my Soul SX LUX now since 10th Nov. 2015. As car ownership goes it is not a long time, however I feel that after owning any car for a short time you will know whether it is a keeper or not. Right now I am so impressed with all aspects of this car I would have no hesitation in buying another as some members have already done. This from a former multiple Honda owner.

Pat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have yet to buy my own Kia, but my brother has a 2014 Kia Soul he purchased at the beginning of last year. He absolutely swears by this car! It has never given him any trouble at all and it performs like a brand new car every time he drives it. So, with that in mind, I would say yes this type of car is well worth buying and I plan on getting one of my own very soon.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had brand new a Mazda, Nissan, Hyundai and Toyota. I'll never touch another Toyota. The rest were very reliable and I tend to keep my vehicles anywhere from 6 - 10 years. The Soul is my favorite though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts