Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2020 Kia Soul S Green
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know what is causing this and how to fix, only had my Kia for about 3-4 years.. Sadly already has approximately 115,792 miles on her. But This issue has been going on for about 4 days maybe and my check engine light just came on this morning... Don't know where to start someone help!!!! I've already sent her in and have gotten her back for the piston recall, but could they be causing this issue??

· Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
163 Posts
I need to know what is causing this and how to fix, only had my Kia for about 3-4 years.. Sadly already has approximately 115,792 miles on her. But This issue has been going on for about 4 days maybe and my check engine light just came on this morning... Don't know where to start someone help!!!! I've already sent her in and have gotten her back for the piston recall, but could they be causing this issue??
Can you provide a better description? Does it only happen while the engine is warming up? Different pavements? How fast are you trying to leave the line?

· Registered
2020 Kia Soul S Green
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you provide a better description? Does it only happen while the engine is warming up? Different pavements? How fast are you trying to leave the line?
It doesn't do it while warming up, or while idling. Only while I'm accelerating. I leave the line at a normal rate I would say, pressing just lightly enough not to have the horn blown at me for moving to slow lol. But it happens as soon as I press the gas and stops after I remove my foot from the pedal, as I pick up and reduce speed, and a I remove my foot from the gas and press the brake. I checked my oil yesterday morning just to see if that had any hand in the matter and it was almost dry. So I put in a quart just to see if anything would happen. And when I did, the rattling, jerking, misfiring, everything stopped. Except the fact that it still sounds like they are about to fall out... But later on in the night everything started right back up again smh...I just need to know if thus is a simple fix or will I have to put her in the shop.

· Registered
2016 Kia Soul
109 Posts
If you're running it with just a quart or two of oil in it, I think you're already found the problem. IT'S YOU. You HAVE to check the oil in your car from time to time and top it off if necessary. I check mine every other week in my 2017 Forte and I have 134,000 miles on it. It's the 2.0 engine and uses about a half quart between 10,000 mile oil changes.

· Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
163 Posts
It doesn't do it while warming up, or while idling. Only while I'm accelerating. I leave the line at a normal rate I would say, pressing just lightly enough not to have the horn blown at me for moving to slow lol. But it happens as soon as I press the gas and stops after I remove my foot from the pedal, as I pick up and reduce speed, and a I remove my foot from the gas and press the brake. I checked my oil yesterday morning just to see if that had any hand in the matter and it was almost dry. So I put in a quart just to see if anything would happen. And when I did, the rattling, jerking, misfiring, everything stopped. Except the fact that it still sounds like they are about to fall out... But later on in the night everything started right back up again smh...I just need to know if thus is a simple fix or will I have to put her in the shop.
Sounds drivetrain related. It could be worn out CV joints, all the way to a worn out ITV. Have you tried shifing the ITV manually?

I know I know, I travel alot for work. Only car I have at the moment.
We had a thread on here about a month ago checking to see who had the most miles…you win by a factor of 2. Great news for us! The down side is that you are way ahead of the population so other than us guessing m, this forum has little experience with a gen 3 soul with that mileage. I hope bwd will chime in, he is a kia mechanic and really knows these cars well.

· Registered
2020 Kia Soul S Green
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're running it with just a quart or two of oil in it, I think you're already found the problem. IT'S YOU. You HAVE to check the oil in your car from time to time and top it off if necessary. I check mine every other week in my 2017 Forte and I have 134,000 miles on it. It's the 2.0 engine and uses about a half quart between 10,000 mile oil changes.
I do checks regularly, I was saying that I was shocked to see that I had went thru oil that fast seeing as though I just had a change and I check and top off regularly. When I noticed that I had had almost no oil left I immediately went and had a change. I was stating that the issue is still on going, and I need advice on which approach I should take next.

· Registered
2016 Kia Soul
109 Posts
I do checks regularly, I was saying that I was shocked to see that I had went thru oil that fast seeing as though I just had a change and I check and top off regularly. When I noticed that I had had almost no oil left I immediately went and had a change. I was stating that the issue is still on going, and I need advice on which approach I should take next.
I'd run a compression test on it if it was mine. Both wet and dry and compare the numbers. Be sure to do it with the throttle wide open.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts